Warm Sibe

Hello again,

I had a quick question to run by you guys. The weather here in the Pacific Northwest is beginning to heat up but the nights are still pretty cool.. With that said my wife has what I call bad circulation, so she keeps the thermostat at 71 degrees, one degree lower and she swear shes hypothermic. During the day and while my wife is at school I try to leave the windows open and the heating system off, especially when Missy is sleeping in her crate. At night I have to close the window and have the heat on because my wife might become an ice cube. We keep missy in her crate next to our bed and every night I hear her panting really heavily. I know this is the way dogs regulate their body temps, but is it normal for her to always do this? It usually stops after 5-10 minutes, but after reading the heat stroke thread it makes me really worried. I have thought about moving her crate downstairs but she is not yet house broken and I rather not have to run all the way down there to let her out to go relieve herself. I tried placing a water bowl in her crate but she knocked that over, so maybe I should get one that attaches to crate door? Not sure if it makes a differences but she has a fluffy coat

Any observations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

The Blackshears

That temperature is just fine. My first Sibe use to pant all the time, and this is here in the South, where it gets really hot and humid. He was always fine, as I kept plenty of fresh, cool water available to him.

The only thing I'd recommend is getting a water bowl that attaches to the crate door.

Kiana pants a ton and our room is always pretty cool so I wouldn't worry to much about it. When we take her into the living room we usually keep it around 75 in there and she curls up and pants away lol and after a few mins she fall asleep. ^_^

Diesel tends to do this, then he'll make his way to the back door to go out where he lies on the concrete flags, if he can't go out, he lies at the conservatory door to get the cool draught coming in. It may be it is a little too warm for Missy, try Sarah's idea of a fan and plenty of water, I like the idea of the door bowl, can't be knocked over. :D

or a cold wet towel for her to lie on?

This works wonders!!

In Australia (SA) we had 40 degree days, we don't have humid here, we have dry hot days.

I had towels on the floor for him, wet and he'd lady on it, day and night to keep cool, But since it's coming into Autumn and the days are getting shorter, cooler he just lays on 'his' blanket :)