Adult teeth problem

lovelife82

Hi,

Can you tell

me if this is normal (see pic below) Luna has lost the majority of her puppy teeth. She is currently 5 months and 1 week old. However her two top adult canine teeth have started to grow but the puppy ones are still at the side of the adult ones and the one in the pic shows that the adult one has pushed the baby one out of the gum (you can see the root I think). Ignore the dark coloured stuff, that’s soil from the garden. Is this normal and will the tooth just fall out?

Thanks

Amanda 

A84CECB0-726A-4FEA-8D79-C6FC1444CAB8.jpeg

It looks like the root is exposed. I would get her to the vet ASAP. Even though they don’t show the pain, it is very painful for any of the root to be exposed. Plus you do not want it going into the nasal cavity. An infection can cause the gums to  disintegrate causing a whole. That will cause a whole other set of serious issues.

Uggg if they have to do surgery it is a long recovery. 

Make sure it is a vet that specializes in dental extraction and they get ALL of the tooth. 

main complications: whole in the nasal cavity,  not getting all the tooth out, and dry socket.

Make sure you get a  syringe like they give you after having your wisdom teeth pulled and keep it flushed. No tug a war and no chewing on hard toys. To running or any activity that ups the blood pressure. 

It took 3 months for my girl to be held enough to play. (She ripped all her stitches out 4 days after surgery) 

B9C93FF4-FFCB-4DB5-9FE8-00409DF176E9.thumb.jpeg.46a9cfa8c5519bbe45ba44511a65ab7b.jpeg144D945A-07A6-491C-88F8-F66ECF8E1014.thumb.jpeg.8771270a9f70d332caef31ffd3f9b203.jpeg2D45A966-1DB2-4A03-A0FC-4B59F724E12B.thumb.jpeg.a7030a72da36e3ba799ad039d691db90.jpeg70A36E96-7A2F-41DB-BD87-19BF58E328C4.thumb.jpeg.8c842bdd06cb30fecc1b3d45f873a481.jpeg

11 minutes ago, 2Huskyfun said:

It looks like the root is exposed. I would get her to the vet ASAP. Even though they don’t show the pain, it is very painful for any of the root to be exposed. Plus you do not want it going into the nasal cavity. An infection can cause the gums to  disintegrate causing a whole. That will cause a whole other set of serious issues.

Uggg if they have to do surgery it is a long recovery. 

Make sure it is a vet that specializes in dental extraction and they get ALL of the tooth. 

main complications: whole in the nasal cavity,  not getting all the tooth out, and dry socket.

Make sure you get a  syringe like they give you after having your wisdom teeth pulled and keep it flushed. No tug a war and no chewing on hard toys. To running or any activity that ups the blood pressure. 

It took 3 months for my girl to be held enough to play. (She ripped all her stitches out 4 days after surgery) 

B9C93FF4-FFCB-4DB5-9FE8-00409DF176E9.thumb.jpeg.46a9cfa8c5519bbe45ba44511a65ab7b.jpeg144D945A-07A6-491C-88F8-F66ECF8E1014.thumb.jpeg.8771270a9f70d332caef31ffd3f9b203.jpeg2D45A966-1DB2-4A03-A0FC-4B59F724E12B.thumb.jpeg.a7030a72da36e3ba799ad039d691db90.jpeg70A36E96-7A2F-41DB-BD87-19BF58E328C4.thumb.jpeg.8c842bdd06cb30fecc1b3d45f873a481.jpeg

Yeah but those pics are of her adult tooth right? The one I’m showing you is a pic of Luna’s baby tooth with the adult one growing next to it. I have just spoke to the vet on the phone and she has said that it’s normal and I need to play tug to try and get it to snap off. Basically baby teeth snap off from the root and the root gets absorbed back into the gum.

51 minutes ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

The tooth still looks dark compared to the others despite the dirt so it might be dead , I'd get it checked at the vets to be safe   , it might need to be pulled 

The dark tooth is her baby tooth and is being pushed out by the adult canine. All of her baby teeth that I have noticed loose have had a grey tinge to them and then they have just fallen out. I have just spoke to the vet on the phone and she has said that it’s normal and I need to play tug to try and get it to snap off. Basically baby teeth snap off from the root and the root gets absorbed back into the gum.

Yes and yes, LOL

Doing tug of war with normal healthy baby teeth will come out easily and roots normally don’t cause an issue. It is normal to have the adult k9 come in while the baby k9 is still there. But never have seen it like that.

My pups baby teeth never turned grey and the roots came out attached to the tooth. 

I would be concerned with how much of the tooth is showing up in the gum area and how this is effecting the new tooth growing in.

Glad the vet said it is no big deal. I would still want a dental tech to physical look at it.

Hopefully it comes out with no issue. Tooth fairy should get ready. 😁

1 hour ago, 2Huskyfun said:

Yes and yes, LOL

Doing tug of war with normal healthy baby teeth will come out easily and roots normally don’t cause an issue. It is normal to have the adult k9 come in while the baby k9 is still there. But never have seen it like that.

My pups baby teeth never turned grey and the roots came out attached to the tooth. 

I would be concerned with how much of the tooth is showing up in the gum area and how this is effecting the new tooth growing in.

Glad the vet said it is no big deal. I would still want a dental tech to physical look at it.

Hopefully it comes out with no issue. Tooth fairy should get ready. 😁

I played tug and the tooth cake out tonight. Although both the tooth and the root came out. It was huge. I have found 1 other canine from the bottom and 2 molars from the back that fell out and none of them had the root attached. They were just hollow so that would back up what the vet said about the root being retained and dissolved back in the gum. Hopefully the other side will follow as that is similar to this one but the root isn’t exposed. I’ve attached a pic of one of her molars. As you can see, no root. 

78EB77B1-FE44-4AF9-A341-A91A961935CD.jpeg

Archived