ZRD Tell me EVERYTHING!

I’m pretty sure my sweet baby boy Cooper (5 yrs old) has Zinc Related Deficiency.

He’s had chronic dirty ear issues, which currently look clear, but now he has crusty spots around his mouth, plus what appears to be a limpoma on his left thigh, and a lump on his chest (that the vet said is just fatty tissue).

From what I’ve read on here, it could be ZRD. Please fill me in on what to do now.

I’m terrified seizures are next. please help.

D5DDCB6A-328C-4592-BA7B-E0F3C06126CE.jpeg

zincdeficiencyinsleddogs.pdf

This is pretty much everything there is on zinc deficiency   -  including the best and worst types of zinc in dog foods.    Raw feeding is best.   Humans need around 15 grams of zinc a day, dogs generally need around 40grams  -  and some huskies need around 100 grams a day  (from memory  - its all in the report).

Nutrazinc is a good supplement, some mushers use this for zinc deficiency. It takes a couple of weeks before you see a difference, it works, a friend of mine took her dog to the vets as he developed sores and was lethargic, had diarrhoea, the vet prescribed a cream for the sores and antibiotics etc, it had no effect so the vet prescribed another antibiotic, again no effect. She was really worried about him as he’d lost weight and his skin was a mess and he just wanted to sleep, she bought some Nutrazinc and within a month he was back to normal.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

2 hours ago, chelseafan said:

Nutrazinc is a good supplement, some mushers use this for zinc deficiency. It takes a couple of weeks before you see a difference, it works, a friend of mine took her dog to the vets as he developed sores and was lethargic, had diarrhoea, the vet prescribed a cream for the sores and antibiotics etc, it had no effect so the vet prescribed another antibiotic, again no effect. She was really worried about him as he’d lost weight and his skin was a mess and he just wanted to sleep, she bought some Nutrazinc and within a month he was back to normal.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

Should I get him tested?

from what I read about this from you guys, the test has to be done from someone that knows what they are looking for and even then it can be hit or miss.

I am worried if I just start them on it they could be getting too much.

Mine have clear ears and no “patches”. Maybe dealing with the first signs of it.?. 🤔

On 11/10/2018 at 8:53 PM, Cooper & Vito’s Mama said:

I’m pretty sure my sweet baby boy Cooper (5 yrs old) has Zinc Related Deficiency.

He’s had chronic dirty ear issues, which currently look clear, but now he has crusty spots around his mouth, plus what appears to be a limpoma on his left thigh, and a lump on his chest (that the vet said is just fatty tissue).

From what I’ve read on here, it could be ZRD. Please fill me in on what to do now.

I’m terrified seizures are next. please help.

D5DDCB6A-328C-4592-BA7B-E0F3C06126CE.jpeg

He is adorable and looks so happy.

Have you had him since a pup and had on going one thing after another with him?

If he has no patches, sores etc and he’s normal in himself then don’t give extra zinc as too much causes an imbalance with other nutrients and an adverse reaction. The tell tale signs of ZRD are pink patches, crusty patches, lethargy, loss of appetite and if left unchecked leads to immune related disorders but always check with a vet.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

None of those signs.

Both eat like pigs, Zoomies 2/3 times a day plus good energy on walks, just some dandruff and itchy. (We have 0% humidity, hopefully going to get our first rain since the end of May next week), and muddy poop 3/4 days a week. 😞

Good to know and keep an eye out for. Thank you 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2018 at 7:13 PM, 2Huskyfun said:

Should I get him tested?

from what I read about this from you guys, the test has to be done from someone that knows what they are looking for and even then it can be hit or miss.

I am worried if I just start them on it they could be getting too much.

Mine have clear ears and no “patches”. Maybe dealing with the first signs of it.?. 🤔

He is adorable and looks so happy.

Have you had him since a pup and had on going one thing after another with him?

@wolfpup @chelseafan@2HuskyFun 

Yes, I’ve had Cooper since he was a puppy. He’s been energetic, happy, and healthy, still is for the most part. Ear stuff started a couple years ago. He does best on raw food, but we have a nine month old baby who cuddles with the pups, so maybe we’ll switch back to raw in a year or two, when creating more distance (and less face kicks 😜) between them will be easier.

Patches and limpoma  just started in the last few months 😢😢😢

We have only fed grain free and most of the time it’s taste of the wild.

I just ordered the Nutrazinc 👏👏👏

🤞🤞🤞it works!

thank you for the information, support, and advice!

FDD30A78-FD7B-4596-9740-2027698F0C36.jpeg

8404679C-4BAC-4592-B823-3CA9DBD76246.jpeg

Archived