How much food?

holycrapzero

Hello!
I was wondering how many cups a day should I feed my puppy. I recently changed his food from Beneful Healthy Puppy to Pedigree Vital Protection Puppy. The thing is the amount is in grams and I don't have a scale for that. With the old food I gave him 2 cups daily. But this one is different and I don't really know how much to feed him. He's 4 months old and weighs approximately 24 to 26 pounds.

Thank you for your help!  

https://uk.pedigree.com/feeding/feeding-guidelines

I fed mine 3x a day. I divided 2 cups up into the three feedings and then used 1/2 a cup for training. Until they were 6 months. Now they get 1 cup twice a day plus 1/2 cup for training.

If you feed too much it will cause diarrhea. But since you just changed food that may happen anyways. 

7 minutes ago, 2Huskyfun said:

I fed mine 3x a day. I divided 2 cups up into the three feedings and then used 1/2 a cup for training. Until they were 6 months. Now they get 1 cup twice a day plus 1/2 cup for training.

If you feed too much it will cause diarrhea. But since you just changed food that may happen anyways. 

He already has diarrhea. That's why I changed his food. Oh and thanks.

Have you had a vet check done for this?

I feel your pain. Mine had diarrhea for ever! Still only get a solid poop only a couple of days a week.

My male just got over a week long runny mess. Got two days out of him solid and now back to it again. (He eats every leaf that is in our path. His tummy doesn’t like it)

This is very common for these guys and you will learn your pups habits.

I don’t feed (treats) only use their dog food. 

I pay attention to; is it puppy soft poop or mud water, is there flim, what color is it, and how long does it last.

soft poop- not a big deal

watery poop- be careful, they can get dehydrated easily. *talk to your vet/ Pedialyte can be given to help with dehydration*

Flim- usually means they ate something  foreign object and they are trying to pass it. The flim is to protect their liner while passing it. 

Color- black is bad, small amount of fresh blood is from the colon and is .....ok as long as it is a very small amount. Dark blood is from intestines and is bad.

Time- (watery poop) shouldn’t last longer then 48 hours.

If you haven’t already I would have a vet check him out just to make sure there is no medical reason for it.

At that age and of good weight, I skipped a meal and the next day they were fine.

2 minutes ago, 2Huskyfun said:

Have you had a vet check done for this?

I feel your pain. Mine had diarrhea for ever! Still only get a solid poop only a couple of days a week.

My male just got over a week long runny mess. Got two days out of him solid and now back to it again. (He eats every leaf that is in our path. His tummy doesn’t like it)

This is very common for these guys and you will learn your pups habits.

I don’t feed (treats) only use their dog food. 

I pay attention to; is it puppy soft poop or mud water, is there flim, what color is it, and how long does it last.

soft poop- not a big deal

watery poop- be careful, they can get dehydrated easily. *talk to your vet/ Pedialyte can be given to help with dehydration*

Flim- usually means they ate something  foreign object and they are trying to pass it. The flim is to protect their liner while passing it. 

Color- black is bad, small amount of fresh blood is from the colon and is .....ok as long as it is a very small amount. Dark blood is from intestines and is bad.

Time- (watery poop) shouldn’t last longer then 48 hours.

If you haven’t already I would have a vet check him out just to make sure there is no medical reason for it.

At that age and of good weight, I skipped a meal and the next day they were fine.

He had colitis. He got better from that. Poor thing was pooping blood. But the diarrhea is still happening. I'm going to the later today to get his shots and check again if there is something wrong.

It sucks when they don’t feel good. 

I hope he feels better and that this is just him having a sensitive tummy. 

I spent so much money and time at the vets with mine to just have it come down to the amount of food and they are just sensitive to foods.

Keep up posted.

2 minutes ago, 2Huskyfun said:

It sucks when they don’t feel good. 

I hope he feels better and that this is just him having a sensitive tummy. 

I spent so much money and time at the vets with mine to just have it come down to the amount of food and they are just sensitive to foods.

Keep up posted.

Will do. Thanks!

Hi there, Pedigree is an awful quality food, the main ingredient is cereal which is no good for a dog and the second main ingredient is animal derivatives which is whatever they can scrape together after all the good bits have been taken!

A hypoallergenic food would be best especially if your dog has diarrhoea. Scales are definitely a good investment to make sure you are giving the correct amount, the number of cups given varies between different brands. My scales were only about £10

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Hi there, Pedigree is an awful quality food, the main ingredient is cereal which is no good for a dog and the second main ingredient is animal derivatives which is whatever they can scrape together after all the good bits have been taken!

A hypoallergenic food would be best especially if your dog has diarrhoea. Scales are definitely a good investment to make sure you are giving the correct amount, the number of cups given varies between different brands. My scales were only about £10

Agreed would look at changing to a much higher quality food and perhaps try grain free. If all else fails look to raw feeding.

Ours used to get runny poo when over fed and we now weigh every meal to make sure her stomach problems are resolved

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Lamb is great for drying up diarrhoea, imo raw is best for them, you have to really check what they’re putting into pet foods, there’s a lot of crap, fillers and not a lot of what they need, what you end up with is a dog with allergies. If you’re opting for kibble, there’s some good brands out there or you can mix it up with kibble in the morning and raw at night.
You can convert weights online with the weight converter app, lbs to grammes etc.

I think raw is the best way. I have been converting slowly. 

At least for my pups... no chicken or dark meat. Too much on their tummies.

Lamb has been great. 

Still feeding breakfast with kibble. (Blue Diamond Limited Ingredients) They love it and can have solid poo as long as they aren’t getting into anything.

With the prices of food. It can be difficult.

I am not a fan of Pro Plan or have ever feed Pedigree to my dogs. But that  probiotic powder worked fantastic on my pups while they were on meds or during times of them having diarrhea.

Every pup is different and it just takes time for their little tummies to go from mom’s milk to solid and then figuring out amounts and what foods work for them. It can take some time.

Hi everyone thanks for your comments. For those of you who were worried about Ghost. I took him to the vet today. Test results were fine, no problems. He no longer has diarrhea and he got his shots. [emoji106] [emoji1]
Here's a pic of him I took at the vet's office.IMG_20181107_135915.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Archived