Pre- Teenage Stage

2Huskyfun

I have been reading you guys comments on the teenage stage. But I was wondering if what my pups are doing is normal prior to this fun next phase. LOL 

My pups are 8 months next week. As everyone has read, they have always ate anything that can and cannot fit in their mouths. However, in the past few months, they only eat things in the house when someone besides me is watching them. I have always been able to leave them long enough to shower or run down the street for 30 minutes. They would just lay down and be in the same spot when I get back.

But now, if my husband or daughter is with them, they will find things to eat right in front of them. Monday while my daughter left the room (she says for two minutes- says the teenager that is glued to her phone) ate a whole pillow. 

Then I have noticed that they are WAY mellow! Sleeping all the time while at home. ( Just started a new daycare Tuesday and they have been pretty much out since- would like to take them for walks but they are still sleeping).

They are also not so reactive to family members coming home. They used to go insane but now they are just O Hi and then go back to their spots. They have also slept through out the night for the first time ever the last three nights.

They eat, drink, play (a lot less but do a little) and their stool is fine.

I have been doing a lot of training with them. Door stay, Kennel stay after eating, leash training, place training, and some little tricks. Which they act normal and responsive.

Any other breed and I would be thrilled that they are maturing but since they are Huskies.....

So I guess I am just wondering, is this a growing spurt? Is this the calm before the storm? Or am I getting lucky?

Abit of both, I can only tell you about my 2, nuts as pups, destroying anything they could get their teeth in2 until about 10-12 months of age, they started to calm down at around 18 months and for weeks I was waiting for the bubble to burst. You are doing all the right things, lots of positive reinforced training, bonding thru play and as your relationship develops and trust grows your hard work will pay off. I still train Cai and Luka blue but not as much, huskies are smart and learn quickly, I’ve enjoyed it tbh, my other half moaned for the first year because training them can be demanding and tiring, even tho he didn’t do it [emoji849] he loves spending time with them now they listen to him [emoji1] it’s like anything, you get out of it what you put in 2 it, keep doing what you’re doing!

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

Chelseafan- Thank You so much for the reassurance. My husband and I have gone rounds about how much attention I give them and how I am always  daunting over them. 

He wants them to just be mature already... I keep telling him that they are still babies and probably won't be mature until around 2. 

Thank you

How did you handle them eating things?

Mine swallows everything they chew up. I am so worried about them getting an obstruction. It seems like I have to have my eyes on them 24/7.

This is the boy's X-ray from last week. He found and ate metal.

IMG_2099.thumb.JPG.3bad64a3503500b17924b512234a7ce6.JPG

Then Monday the pillow.

Yesterday I had 4 pills of nothing but brown stuffing. Plus he throw up a whole wad of stuffing 😖

I don't know how to get them to behave for others in the family. Will beside have them work with the pups and stuff. But they are hardly home. 

I just hope they grow out of it prior to a major issue happening.

Ours is 2 and no sign of maturity. If anything she's become more sassy and understands what she's doing is wrong but she's going to do it anyway then when you catch her talk back to you to let you know she didn't do it [emoji23] luckily ours never really swallowed anything she shouldn't, just destroys things due to boredom. That's calmed down a bit and replaced with digging everywhere. I don't know how I'd cope if she ate everything as she has full reign of the backyard and left alone for 8-10hours a day. I hope you can curb this behaviour others on here will have more to offer than me

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

I put a safety gate up at the kitchen door, I’m on my third one now as they destroyed the first 2 [emoji849] and this one is metal. I limited access around the house as pups, I converted my brick shed for them to have as their space and they have the back garden and the kitchen, I moved everything out of their way on the top of the kitchen units and in the dining room and front room, my house looked weird for over a year, but I didn’t want to take any chances with them swallowing something dangerous, I’d heard of a husky that swallowed a sock and caused a blockage and didn’t make it, I was a little paranoid after that. My 2 would try and eat everything they came across so I just moved everything out of their way and as I’m home with them it was easier for me to watch them, I think easier is the wrong word, it was a full time job watching them [emoji1] if they’re bored that’s when they’ll look for trouble and having 2 I found one lead the other one on. I devised a daily plan for them , walk first thing then they’d sleep, breakfast then training, mental training is just as tiring as physical, walk then sleep then playtime then evening meal then a walk to tire them before bed, they have roughly 3 hours walking a day and I take them for days out on trains to the beach or a forest walk and they run on the off lead field, a tired husky is a well behaved husky.
My other half still moans about how much time they take up but husky’s love to be with us and I love doing stuff with them, they don’t moan either [emoji1]
It might not feel like it at the moment but it does get better.

Forgot to mention that they both destroyed my lovely garden by digging every plant up and they were constantly covered in mud so we slabbed the whole garden so no more digging, boy they loved digging. Now they’re older we’ve put fake grass down and they love playing on it.

I have the kitchen and now the dinning room blocked off. (They were able to jump up on the counters since 5 months of age 😵and I have books and stuff in the dinning room that the female eats) All they have is the living room. Which thankfully is a good size. 

The doggy door is located in the wall of the living room, which leads out to an ok size dog run. We laid fake grass and have pavers along the edge and a chain link attached to the wooden fence. 

IMG_2117.thumb.JPG.a38c66f5122d81f55f848fc49cf1c1aa.JPG

*it is 30 by 7, why she lays there I have no idea*

I have slept on the couch for the past 5 months. 😫 The male hates the bedroom. One of the disagreements my husband and I have. 1 can't leave the doggy door open all night because they would eat the fencing and put holes in the fake grass and eat the rocks, 2 if they had free roam to go from bedroom to dog door, they would eat my walls and couch and everything else they find unattended. They still go potty 2x a night. (However, the last two nights we have been below freezing and they have slept through out the night)  literally just now turned on our heat. LOL

So, I sleep on the couch to supervise their potty time at night and have them in a spot where I can see everything they do during the day.

I walk them about 45 minutes 2 to 3 times a day. My poor boy is so out of shape he pants so heavily I can't take him any longer and if the temp isn't perfect he only goes for 20 to 30 minutes. 

Took them to the park for the first time over the weekend but they have to be muzzled because they eat everything. (They have been at a full run, mouth open, scooping everything up!) Doesn't matter what it is! No chewing just swallowing everything hole. 

They are not aloud to be in the backyard without a muzzle. We have rocks, peach tree, and grape vines. I didn't plant them the previous owner did.

on the rare occasions (when my husband isn't around) I let them in the back yard (muzzled) but let them dig away... hehheee 🤣

She’s prob lying on the rocks because they’re cold and it looks nicely shaded [emoji3] I’d keep them muzzled when they’re outside for their own safety, you could take it off and if you see them eating something they shouldn’t be eating say ‘ah ah’ and put the muzzle back on, it won’t take long before they get it, eating naughties = muzzle on. Have you tried giving them a lamb knuckle bone, chewing on that will stop them chewing on other things. Luka blue seems to get hotter quicker than Cai and pants a lot, he’s trying to cool down, maybe your boys the same, I always take water out on walks. I slept on the settee for a few weeks when they were pups but I woke up 2 tired so I put them in the kitchen to sleep, the dog gate was up so no escaping, Cai whinged and moaned for a few nights but I wasn’t budging. They have full access around the house when I’m home and Cai sleeps upstairs, Luka blue goes down after a while, he gets too hot. It’s taken a long time to get to where we are now and Cai has always been the demanding one of the 2, phil says he’s just like a toddler [emoji3] you’re doing as much as you can do and your training will all fall in2 place, prob not as quick as you’d like it to. I used to separate mine randomly throughout the day and do one on one training, playing and cuddling it develops your bond and strengthens the trust between you. Good luck with everything, your husband will be happy with the hard work you’re putting in when he sees how well they’ll mature.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Crate training is a god send , skyla once she hit around 9 months old decided everything tasted amazing, including electrical cables, we crated her when we went out and supervised her all other times she did eventually grow out of it

Oh n she probably lies out there because it's cold, skyla loves being outside doesn't matter how cold it is she'll be there

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Thank all of you very much. 

I am moving their crates in the bedroom today. We will start hanging out in there during the day for naps and treat time so they get positive  Association with the room. 

I only shut them in the crates for feedings. (Well, now I am doing place training so I am feeding them on their mats) The girl has bent all her wires and broke some of the areas where they connect. 😔 and ate the front section of the cover.

IMG_2036.thumb.JPG.437f036274bd67c09240f750e76d14a7.JPG

I think once we recover 💰 from the Holidays I will be looking into stronger crates for them. 

Here are some of the funnier moments during crate training (for 2)

Should have known what I was in for just by this. LOL

IMG_1772.thumb.JPG.1f58924fd5d550173db15d737f1de6f2.JPG

Never could get both in at the same time 

IMG_1781.thumb.JPG.f3bdefe71a40d805abedd456b1323b74.JPG

He protested so hard. 🤣

IMG_1788.thumb.JPG.91d8f23e436f3f777e029d2e98611a37.JPG

IMG_1786.thumb.JPG.af6cb19bd9d8aa3dee13b1ab36e780f4.JPGIMG_1783.thumb.JPG.540cd13a3a3b1a25887d0125be523e13.JPGIMG_1784.thumb.JPG.2ae205fd384837ab4a3d47b555f60edb.JPG

After her spay... feeling a little good. LOL

IMG_1944.thumb.JPG.58b661f6934771e56c9d868384c8969c.JPG

Well, if I would have waited a day or two I could have answered my own question... LOL

the boy stood up today and his sister was standing right next to him. I about fell out of my set. He has shot up. 4 inches taller then his sister 😵. That was like over night!

He is a little cranky and has been glued to me, but my baby boy is going through growing pains. 

Archived