Is it just me or are Huskies and Shibas similiar in personality/temperament with humans?

Axiom

I have approached a handful of Huskies and Shibas for the last year or so and they seem VERY similiar in their interactions with me. Both exude calmness, silent eye contact and introvertedness. Their morphology is also more similiar than people think. Malamutes are more extroverted and not at all like those two (I own a mix breed malamute)

None of this should come as a surprise given both are ancient spitz breeds, but I'm curious if I'm under a false impression?

1 minute ago, Rachael_Astro said:

INot sure if my huskies exude calmness emoji23.png

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

With strangers that is. When I look into a Shibas eyes and sense its temperament, I feel very much like when I try and engage with a husky. Both can exhibit energetic spurts, but interacting with me they feel very much like the same dog breed. 

19 minutes ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Never met a shiba

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Well you don't have to. Would you accept my description of Huskies as introverts when interacting with strangers? Soft, quite introverts. This is how I percieved both breeds. 

They are not introverts imo each every single one I have met has a different temper...l have one that loves humans and another that can do without us but on his own terms can get used to them...

You’re asking for our opinion about how similar their personalities are so you would have to have met several of both breeds to make a comparison! Mine are certainly not introverts even with strangers

I have met 1 shiba a few years back and I was so impressed with it that I do not remember the personality or anything for that matter...

7 minutes ago, robke said:

I have met 1 shiba a few years back and I was so impressed with it that I do not remember the personality or anything for that matter...

Do I detect a certain amount of sarcasm in that post?

12 minutes ago, Rachael_Astro said:

Mine are certainly not introverts even with strangers

Really? Your Huskies greet strangers similiar to Golden Retrievers and Labradors? The Huskies I encountered have all been very indifferent and difficult to connect with, though I made small, incremental steps the more times we met.

Just now, Axiom said:

Do I detect a certain amount of sarcasm in that post?

if your sarcasm detector is on low then maybe...but I am just pointing out my impression of meeting a shiba...and even more so that dog now others could be totally different I do not know not met another one yet...

1 minute ago, robke said:

if your sarcasm detector is on low then maybe...but I am just pointing out my impression of meeting a shiba...and even more so that dog now others could be totally different I do not know not met another one yet...

Your impression was what exactly...?

Really? Your Huskies greet strangers similiar to Golden Retrievers and Labradors? The Huskies I encountered have all been very indifferent and difficult to connect with, though I made small, incremental steps the more times we met.

No my dogs are nothing like golden retrievers and labradors, I have huskies. I would not describe thouse breeds as extroverts

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

6 minutes ago, Axiom said:

Your impression was what exactly...?

so impressive that I cannot remember it...now a great dane that I met 4 years ago did impress me and I can remember...all huskies I have met at camp and or here while walking I can remember and enjoyed meeting...

7 minutes ago, Rachael_Astro said:

No my dogs are nothing like golden retrievers and labradors, I have huskies. I would not describe thouse breeds as extroverts

So how do they interact with strangers attempting to seek contact then? You replied that your dogs are not introverts. An extrovert breed is social.

5 minutes ago, robke said:

so impressive that I cannot remember it...now a great dane that I met 4 years ago did impress me and I can remember...all huskies I have met at camp and or here while walking I can remember and enjoyed meeting...

I don't know why but I`m very intrigued by what criteria a dog has to meet to "impress" you. Do you mind sharing for my amusement?

I can’t be bothered replying to you anymore, I think you need to look up the definition of introvert and extrovert because I think you’re getting them the wrong way round!

8 minutes ago, Rachael_Astro said:

I can’t be bothered replying to you anymore, I think you need to look up the definition of introvert and extrovert because I think you’re getting them the wrong way round!

My mistake. I didn't know I was corresponding with Socrates himself. You will eventually cross paths with a user of comparable wisdom and verbal comprehension. It is clear that I am not that person. Have a good one! 

The breed standards usually list a huskies behaviour as playful, intelligent, friendly, stubborn, aloof and outgoing.
Of course you’re going to get variations from one dog to the next, how much is nature vs nurture I don’t know but a dog’s experiences certainly can and will influence how the adult dog will behave to some extent.
I have 3 dogs. Ice is extremely excited when he sees people both unfamiliar and familiar. He wants to run and jump them at any opportunity. [emoji849]
Bear, my husky mix is excited to see everyone but in a controlled way. She knows not to jump all over them and is very gentle.
Pepper who is not a husky at all will get excited to the point where she will pee a bit when she meets new people (can be a bit awkward to say the least!) thankfully that seems to be happening less often as she’s growing up.

Well you don't have to. Would you accept my description of Huskies as introverts when interacting with strangers? Soft, quite introverts. This is how I percieved both breeds. 
Not at all , my boy adores people and expects to meet everyone he comes across on a walk , I wish he could understand not every single person wants to stroke him lol

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

@Axiom ~ My two Huskies are the most loving, playful, mischievous, compassionate, extroverts and about 90% human. They say Huskies think they are humans. So much that my male just "marked" the toilet...the bathroom in the man cave.[emoji848][emoji23]
I truly believe puppies have developed their own distinct personalities while in the litter. But once they are brought into their human families, their personalities become slightly & innocently modified to adapt to how that family's/person's behavior is. For instance, I'm a very happy, loving & sociable person. So my two Huskies, in turn, are the exact same way.
By the way, you misspelled the word "perceive."[emoji6]
Have a good one!![emoji4][emoji191][emoji191][emoji4]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

@Axiom ~ Hello. Regarding your bewilderment of Shibas and Huskies, try to have an open mind when you meet any breed of dog for that matter. A common assumption may be most Huskies, especially, that we see in public are well trained by their owners. Their behaviors will most likely emulate a controlled & mature nature.
Dogs utilize their senses to gage how new people portray themselves. They view our facial expressions, body language and even sense our feelings of happiness, excitement, sadness or fear toward them. Those attributes are key in how they communicate & interact with us.
When meeting a new dog, they should be approached calmly and with a smile. (Or at least that's how I greet them.[emoji4]) They will be much more relaxed, happy and eager to meet you. In turn, you will perceive them as more of a campanionable breed of extroversion.
(You don't want to approach them exhibiting a straight face and stare at them with googly eyes[emoji102]🤪. The dog will sense your behavior and stiff stance as being aloof and less friendly, which will cause them to retract, becoming more reserved & cautious; they will not greet you in as much of a welcoming manner and appear shy & untrusting.)
Also, I do not believe each dog should be labeled as "introverted or extroverted." All dogs are incredibly amazing!! But it's up to your depth of viewing & reading their character. Don't let the axiom of "intro" and "extro"vert be the concrete mindset...it will only interfere with your vision of each dog's diverse & unique individuality.
Have a great day!!
[emoji191][emoji252][emoji191][emoji252][emoji4]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

I have one who loves people is an extrovert, very confident with strangers and one who loves us but doesn’t care much for anyone else. Haven’t met a shiba. I think it also depends on the stranger they meet, as to how they’d react.

From.Cambridge dictionary:

Aloof 
not friendly or willing to take part in things:
She seemed rather aloof when in fact she was just shy. not interested or involved, usually because you do not approve of what is happening:

IMG_1800.PNG

Maybe this will help a little? It’s A screen shot taken directly from the British kennel club breed standard. It’s the temperament of the Siberian husky only though, I suspect the shiba will differ a little.

Archived