Surgery for blockage recovery

PaulG

one of my dogs my Malinois has been taken into the vets suffering from a blockage, will find out in a short time how he is doing in a short time.

I am wondering if any one has had this problem or knows some one who has had this

How long do they take to fully recover after having a bowel obstruction removed. I know its serious with high risks of complications.

They put him on a drip way before they they even started the Op.

38 minutes ago, robke said:

I have heard that recovery can take upto 2 weeks...

fingers crossed all goes ok...

Well so far no news they have removed it (even they are not sure what it is) have to phone again between 5 and half past

Tyler survived the op and is starting to wake up and lift his head to look at people, uner a heat lamp with a drip for pain and high dose antibiotics.

They found two blockages, that seemed to be mated fur and food, one was ok the second had cuased his stomach to distend so they are worried

that may have caused a second problem and i have to call again for an update at 10am tomorrow. I do not know how i am going to stop him getting

a mouthfull of fur when he plays with a husky. He is not out of the woods as he now has the risk of peritonitus so its touch and go for the next 24 48 hours.

Well he is home they phoned saying i could pick him up at about 7:30 this morning.

He is now in the kitchen got a lot of antibiotics to pump into him and pain killers, his post op diet is a food that smells like cat food. i also have a probiotic paste to squirt into his mouth tomorrow

Now Malinois are like GSD's on speed so how the hell do you get one to rest and relax and not charge around like a loony as he has two holes stiched in his stomach as they removed two blockages as well as the large home in his belly to heal. Still at risk of peritonitus as they did the best you can do for cleaning out the stomach etc after removing the blockage, and want to see him Tuesday which sucks as they are a long way away from me and i dont have a car . but going neighbour bugging in a bit

Glad to hear he’s made it through the surgery ok and is now back home.

When ours were recovering from ops, we tried to limit the space they had available as ours tend to be more boisterous when there’s plenty of room to run around, so we sectioned off the living room for a while, provided a few chews that keep them busy and sat with them. Not a 100% cure all solution but it helped.

Some dogs have to have complete non weight bearing rest after certain types of leg/joint operations and I’ve heard of them being out of action on ‘crate rest’ for some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived