My husky worried a sheep today

Nicky Cross

Hi everyone I’ve just realised I didn’t do my homework Trully or I didn’t want to believe he’d do it because he has been so well behaved and staying home while I went to work.  Mana is only 5 months we live on a farm and has bn awesome around sheep and cattle but lately while I’m running him if he saw sheep he’d just take off.  He picks and chooses when he will listen but doesn’t bite when I’m there just seems like he’s running and playing.  Today I came home and he’d worried two sheep my hubby is giving me 1 last chance so I am planning to tie him up when I am at work now and take action we have bn running 10k everyday he’s sits and lies down on command.  I am planning to spend more time with him so any ideas fellow husky owners I love him so.

D86614B2-0D03-4915-9512-386A06FA8169.jpeg

Unfortunately what you're finding out now is that huskies have a much higher prey drive than most other breeds of dog and are not good off lead due to this.   If there's an opportunity to hunt then they're most likely going to take it and once they go, they turn deaf to everything else around them. 

When running with him, you can get a walking belt which goes around your waist to keep your hands free.  

You can also get long leads (50/100ft) like the horse ones when out in fields away from the livestock, to give more freedom yet still remaining under your control.

Yeah I’ve got along horse rope we’ve just started doing that two weeks ago and he was pulling me to run at sheep and I thought then omg I’ve got to sort this.  I just read the trust post too which was gd to read

Mana has even opened our doors has anyone’s husky done that he’s done it 3x and it’s the hardest door handle to open for a child

Mine haven't opened door handles but I've heard a lot of stories over time from people whose huskies have. Incredible how smart they can be and so quick to learn the things that they want to learn.  Which is usually the things you don't particularly want them to do. 😂

There is only one door in my house that Marley cannot open (the front door), and that is because its kept permanently locked.    He even worked out how to unlock the back door and open it.    Hubby used to tell me off for forgetting to lock the back door at night  -  until we watched him paw continually at the key until it turned enough, then he hit the handle and pulled the door open.   They are master houdinis.

As your pup gets older he will become less trustworthy - and once his prey drive fully kicks in he must not be let off lead.    There are husky owners who are adamant that their dog is different, always comes when called etc  -  but too many owners have learned the hard way that one day for no apparent reason their dog just started to run, and never came back.

For me its always on lead,  -  the only time off lead is in a VERY secure dog park,  minimum of 6ft fencing, I always need to be thinking of security  -  because my little fluffball is always thinking about security frailties and weaknesses.

I love huskies  -  mine keeps me on my toes.

Keep in mind your puppy is only 5 months old. MANA is  just a baby and still growing & developing. You do not want to run her on your 10Ks... she's way too young to run like that. She should just be walked right now. @BingBlaze n Skyla said it best...MANA should only be walked no more than 25mins at a time.

You could buy a harness & leash for more controlled walking.

You can teach her tricks like sit, shake, high five, etc., using training treats. Huskies love to learn.

Also, you should buy a crate for her to stay in while you're working. That's for her own safety and your house's safety.

MANA is just beautiful!! Good luck with your baby girl!!

🐺🐾💜🤗

Archived