Husky stalking

Onceuponadime

My siberian is 6 month old. I first noticed this behaviour when he was 5 month old. If I'm walking him usually in the woods or in a field where it is pretty quiet and a person walks towards us with or without a dog he stalks them. He basically starts walking really low almost crawling. If I'm pounding round the street he does not do it. I can only describe it as stalking wolf like. I'm not sure why he would do this but it obviously makes anyone approaching me nervous. Any ideas. 

My guess is it's playfulness -- both of my dogs do this when they want to play, with them it looks like they're playing tag or hide and seek with me or with each other when they do that. Soes your dog get to play with other dogs? Maybe try taking him to a dog park so he can satisfy the urge to play with other pups instead of trying to do so with people!

Unless he growls of looks scary when he's doing it, then I don't really think your pup is doing it as a means of intimidation. 

Do you walk your puppy with a leash/harness on??

If he is lowering himself or using stalking body language, there could be a number of animals' scents in the woods so his prey drive is kicking in.

But to me, it almost seems like he is "scared" of something or "fearful" due to his actions of lowering himself or crawling. Is he pulling hard on his leash?? (When Huskies' prey drive is in force, they usually do not coward down. They stand very tall, are somewhat looking stiff & still and moving very slowly & quietly. That's just my opinion & what I've always witnessed.)

When someone is approaching you, make him sit until the person passes. If they come up to you & want to meet your dog, tell them he is in "training" right now.

The next 5days of walking him, keep paying close attention to his body language when he acts this way. Also, pay attention to all your surroundings, noises, objects, and what is happening around you both to see if he has a certain "pattern" of behaviors you may notice within these next 5days. 

I just think it would be good to observe him, his actions and everything going on around you.

Hope this is helpful.🤗🐺🐾💜

P.S. Since your baby is only 6months old and still developing & growing, I wouldn't walk him very far and no longer than 30minutes round trip at a time. The staff here says walking puppies should be limited to:

*(5-minutes per every one month of age) so a 4-month old should only be walked 20-minutes, etc.🤗

Mine do this when they're engaging in play mostly in the off lead field but do the same when stalking mice or squirrels. Pups practice natural dog behaviours as and when they feel like it, even when we might not understand why. It took me a while to understand mine and i’m still learning 😀

16 hours ago, ARMANI & ALINAH said:

Do you walk your puppy with a leash/harness on??

If he is lowering himself or using stalking body language, there could be a number of animals' scents in the woods so his prey drive is kicking in.

But to me, it almost seems like he is "scared" of something or "fearful" due to his actions of lowering himself or crawling. Is he pulling hard on his leash?? (When Huskies' prey drive is in force, they usually do not coward down. They stand very tall, are somewhat looking stiff & still and moving very slowly & quietly. That's just my opinion & what I've always witnessed.)

When someone is approaching you, make him sit until the person passes. If they come up to you & want to meet your dog, tell them he is in "training" right now.

The next 5days of walking him, keep paying close attention to his body language when he acts this way. Also, pay attention to all your surroundings, noises, objects, and what is happening around you both to see if he has a certain "pattern" of behaviors you may notice within these next 5days. 

I just think it would be good to observe him, his actions and everything going on around you.

Hope this is helpful.🤗🐺🐾💜

P.S. Since your baby is only 6months old and still developing & growing, I wouldn't walk him very far and no longer than 30minutes round trip at a time. The staff here says walking puppies should be limited to:

*(5-minutes per every one month of age) so a 4-month old should only be walked 20-minutes, etc.🤗

Hi, I walk him on harness he's not pulling on harness. The only way I can describe it is he spots someone then starts to get down low. The other day he just stepped in front of me and laid down head up staring at the person. He does not seen scared at all. From being young I have exposed him to as many things as possible when I walk with my partner he does not display this behaviour only when I'm on my own with him. 

Kaiser does this if he sees something or hear something. Its their natural prey drive, thats all. They will also tend to do it if they are playing.

Archived