New to husky puppy male food advice needed!

Hello all hope your all well,

Basically we got our new Siberian Husky Pup called Leo he's currently 8 weeks old he was the runt of the litter so he is slightly smaller than the rest of his litter, although he is coming on just fine in terms of weight and health problems info below:

Weighing currently at: 2.7kg

Just need abit of advice on what types of food would he take because he refuses dry food completely. I've the breeders we received him from what food they were using but there yet to get back to me and this is quite urgent so I have a few questions if you people could help me out on this one. thank you.

Questions:

• Can I break him into raw feeding diet?
  • What types of food are good to increase weight?
  • What brands are can you recommend?

Hope those questions aint to complicated, we are thankful for any form of feedback you guys can offer me.

Regards,

Aaron Coates.

There will be people on here that are experienced with young puppies,    I changed Marley over to a raw diet at 12 weeks old  -  I would not be happy about doing it earlier  -  but in the wild they go onto raw immediately as they are weaned.   I personally have a problem with any sort of kibble because of the amount of starch (and other things) but that is purely a personal opinion, - we are all different and we all do what we think is right for our fur babies.

Have you tried a wet-food puppy food  (tinned)? -   I started by scrambling eggs for Marley with a little raw mince,  a week later I tried him on a little lamb  with raw egg  (just whisked up)  -  I  cooked chicken breasts until he was 16 weeks old.     For cutting his teeth I gave him raw lambs ribs  (he's still addicted to them now and he's 2 years 4 months)

1 hour ago, wolfpup said:

There will be people on here that are experienced with young puppies,    I changed Marley over to a raw diet at 12 weeks old  -  I would not be happy about doing it earlier  -  but in the wild they go onto raw immediately as they are weaned.   I personally have a problem with any sort of kibble because of the amount of starch (and other things) but that is purely a personal opinion, - we are all different and we all do what we think is right for our fur babies.

Have you tried a wet-food puppy food  (tinned)? -   I started by scrambling eggs for Marley with a little raw mince,  a week later I tried him on a little lamb  with raw egg  (just whisked up)  -  I  cooked chicken breasts until he was 16 weeks old.     For cutting his teeth I gave him raw lambs ribs  (he's still addicted to them now and he's 2 years 4 months)

Thank you for that response it really helped and appreciate it. if anybody else could give me further advice please do willing to take all onboard.

Hi, I gave kibble until about 16 weeks and changed to raw. Taste of the wild is a good kibble but you can try Leo on scrambled egg as mentioned, cooked white fish, no bones, it’s best to introduce new food slowly so as not to upset his tummy. Lamb is good for weight gain but a little at a time, cooked chicken until older, I introduced raw lamb knuckle bones and raw beef bones at about 6 months, good for when they chew everything in sight and keeps them occupied. Natural instinct is a ready prepared raw food, just needs defrosting, there are many other brands out there if you shop around. My 2 love all meat but their absolute favourites are lamb neck fillet and salmon. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I feed taste of the wild kibble since I switched from royal canin the breeder gave us. I'd like to eventually switch to raw because she goes crazy for any raw meat/bones and I personally know it's more suited to their diet (Harlow is currently 1.5 years old). Highly recommended taste of the wild though highest protein with least amount of fillers

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Thought I would show you what my boys had to eat today:

5aa2b25babe94_P1010963(Copy).thumb.JPG.e3213a34e78bde48b0e5235c8e8f5977.JPG

1/16 teaspoon organic spirulina, One teaspoon Smart Barf    (about 16 different herbs to balance out vitamins & minerals)

5aa2b2597bdaf_P1010962(Copy).thumb.JPG.39527f5d693b4842e9d7199aa481ca98.JPG

Organic Coconut oil   about half a dessertspoon   for healthy fats,  -  Marley also gets passion flower and Skullcap herbs for his epilepsy .

5aa2b43af3dff_P1010965(Copy).thumb.JPG.be7d1314d5910f679b7f9de47a3aaa15.JPG 

The 'mince-looking green thing in the bowl is actually an offal mix  containing liver, spleen, pancreas  to which I have added the sprilunina, Smart Barf and Marley's medication -

The small pieces of meat is actually lamb chop  plus bone   -  then the big chunk is beef.

5aa2b4403991a_P1010967(Copy).thumb.JPG.fe0152c9a6e85bb177344439fa89fa95.JPG5aa2b43db2db0_P1010966(Copy).thumb.JPG.dd6078fdabdd0137acdd43481e686884.JPG

As you can see the lamb chops are of a decent size

5aa2b445d74c0_P1010970(Copy).thumb.JPG.72b2fa18a588c052f543974c00fb4ac4.JPG

Coconut oil flaked on top  finishes off Lunar's bowl

5aa2b4385e8cf_P1010964(Copy).thumb.JPG.d05532984c1a7e32c8b9a324abe72440.JPG

The beef for Lunar  -  he had the whole chunk on the right and half the left hand one

5aa2b442b688d_P1010969(Copy).thumb.JPG.391c1f01afacd30dc2d0e36c8f9a91b3.JPG

As you can see Marley is keeping a close eye on the 'chef' to make sure it done exactly to his liking

5aa2b4491b80b_P1010972(Copy).thumb.JPG.82ea6da7e2bcb2f4a5d0139c4c887de6.JPG

This is the skin I've taken off the chops and the fat taken off the beef   -  too much fat actually stops the dogs from absorbing all of the nutrients from the meat

And this is what they left :-

5aa2b43581603_P1010973(Copy).thumb.JPG.825703e5e89896462e80bd904a7802ab.JPG

33 minutes ago, wolfpup said:

Thought I would show you what my boys had to eat today:

5aa2b25babe94_P1010963(Copy).thumb.JPG.e3213a34e78bde48b0e5235c8e8f5977.JPG

1/16 teaspoon organic spirulina, One teaspoon Smart Barf    (about 16 different herbs to balance out vitamins & minerals)

5aa2b2597bdaf_P1010962(Copy).thumb.JPG.39527f5d693b4842e9d7199aa481ca98.JPG

Organic Coconut oil   about half a dessertspoon   for healthy fats,  -  Marley also gets passion flower and Skullcap herbs for his epilepsy .

5aa2b43af3dff_P1010965(Copy).thumb.JPG.be7d1314d5910f679b7f9de47a3aaa15.JPG 

The 'mince-looking green thing in the bowl is actually an offal mix  containing liver, spleen, pancreas  to which I have added the sprilunina, Smart Barf and Marley's medication -

The small pieces of meat is actually lamb chop  plus bone   -  then the big chunk is beef.

5aa2b4403991a_P1010967(Copy).thumb.JPG.fe0152c9a6e85bb177344439fa89fa95.JPG5aa2b43db2db0_P1010966(Copy).thumb.JPG.dd6078fdabdd0137acdd43481e686884.JPG

As you can see the lamb chops are of a decent size

5aa2b445d74c0_P1010970(Copy).thumb.JPG.72b2fa18a588c052f543974c00fb4ac4.JPG

Coconut oil flaked on top  finishes off Lunar's bowl

5aa2b4385e8cf_P1010964(Copy).thumb.JPG.d05532984c1a7e32c8b9a324abe72440.JPG

The beef for Lunar  -  he had the whole chunk on the right and half the left hand one

5aa2b442b688d_P1010969(Copy).thumb.JPG.391c1f01afacd30dc2d0e36c8f9a91b3.JPG

As you can see Marley is keeping a close eye on the 'chef' to make sure it done exactly to his liking

5aa2b4491b80b_P1010972(Copy).thumb.JPG.82ea6da7e2bcb2f4a5d0139c4c887de6.JPG

This is the skin I've taken off the chops and the fat taken off the beef   -  too much fat actually stops the dogs from absorbing all of the nutrients from the meat

And this is what they left :-

5aa2b43581603_P1010973(Copy).thumb.JPG.825703e5e89896462e80bd904a7802ab.JPG

Thank you very much for that your boys eat like KINGS! Do you know any form of food that is good for puppy growth as mine is the runt of the littler so he is tiny atm but I'm sure hell get up there eventually

complete nutrition is the answer  -   but my experience is that the 'runt' usually gains ground quite quickly and will not stay that way long once he is on proper food as you intend to do.    This might be of use for you: -

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/raw-diets-for-dogs-getting-enough-vitamins-and-minerals

Vitamins
VITAMIN A
Enhances immunity, prevents eye problems and skin disorders. Important in bone and teeth formation. Protects against colds and infection. Slows aging process.

MEAT SOURCES: Chicken, pork, egg, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardines, liver, kidney, brain, tuna

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, borage leaves, burdock root, cayenne, chickweed, eyebright, fennel seed, hops, horsetail, kelp, lemongrass, mullein, nettle, oat straw, paprika, parsley, peppermint, plantain, raspberry leaves, red clover, rose hips, sage, uva ursi, violet leaves, watercress, yellow dock

VITAMIN B1 (Thiamine)
Promotes growth, improves mental attitude, aids digestion, helps strengthen nervous system and prevent stress.

MEAT SOURCES: Liver, rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, bladder wrack, burdock root, catnip, cayenne, chamomile, chickweed, eyebright, fennel seed, fenugreek, hops, nettle, oat straw, parsley, peppermint, raspberry leaves, red clover, rose hips, sage, yarrow, and yellow dock

VITAMIN B2 (Riboflavin)
Needed for red blood cell formation, aids growth and reproduction, promotes hair, skin and nail growth. Important in the prevention and treatment of cataracts.

MEAT SOURCES: Liver, heart, kidney, rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, bladder wrack, burdock root, catnip, cayenne, chamomile, chickweed, eyebright, fennel seed, fenugreek, ginseng, hops, horsetail, mullein, nettle, oat straw, parsley, peppermint, raspberry leaves, red clover, rose hips, sage, yellow dock

VITAMIN B3 (Niacin)
Essential for proper circulation and healthy skin. Increases energy, aids digestion, helps prevent migraines.

MEAT SOURCES: Rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine, tuna

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, burdock root, catnip, cayenne, chamomile, chickweed, eyebright, fennel seed, hops, licorice, mullein, nettle, oat straw, parsley, peppermint, raspberry leaf, red clover, rose hips, slippery elm, yellow dock

VITAMIN B5 (Panothenic Acid)
Enhances stamina, prevents anemia, helps wounds heal, fights infection, strengthens immune system.

MEAT SOURCES: Liver, heart, kidney, rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, burdock root, nettle, yellow dock

VITAMIN B6 (Pyridoxine)
Needed to produce hydrochloric acid. Aids in absorption of fats, and protein. Mildly diuretic, helps prevent kidney stones. Helpful in treating allergies, arthritis, and asthma.

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, catnip, oat straw

VITAMIN B9 (Folate, Folic Acid)
MEAT SOURCES: Liver, rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine

HERBAL SOURCES: Rosemary, dandelion, parsley, spirulina

VITAMIN B12 (Cyanocobalamin)
Helps prevent anemia. Protects nervous system, improves concentration, aids digestion.

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, bladderwrack, hops

VITAMIN C (Ascorbic acid)
Helps calcium and iron formation. Enhances immunity. Helps prevent cancer. Aids in production of anti-stress hormones. Antioxidant required for proper tissue growth and repair, and adrenal gland function.

MEAT SOURCES: Liver, kidney, heart, fish

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, burdock root, cayenne, chickweed, eyebright, fennel seed, fenugreek, hops, horsetail, kelp, peppermint, mullein, nettle, oat straw, paprika, parsley, pine needle, plantain, raspberry leaf, red clover, rose hips, skullcap, violet leaves, yarrow, yellow dock

VITAMIN D
Essential for calcium and phosphorous utilization. Prevents rickets. Needed for normal growth of bones and teeth. Helps regulate heartbeat. Prevents cancer and enhances immunity. Aids thyroid function and blood clotting.

MEAT SOURCES: Egg, sardine, liver, kidney, salmon, tuna

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, horsetail, nettle, parsley

VITAMIN E
Antioxidant which helps prevent cancer and heart disease. Prevents cell damage. Reduces blood pressure and promotes healthy skin and hair.

MEAT SOURCES: Ostrich, buffalo, egg, halibut, haddock, sardine, kidney, liver, brain

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, bladder wrack, dandelion, dong quai, flaxseed, nettle, oat straw, raspberry leaf, rose hips

VITAMIN K
Promotes healthy liver function. Helps bone formation and repair. Increases longevity.

MEAT SOURCES: Egg, halibut, haddock, sardine, liver

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, green tea, kelp, nettle, oat straw, shepherds purse

Minerals
CALCIUM
Builds and protects bones and teeth. Helps maintain regular heartbeat. Prevents muscle cramping.

MEAT SOURCES: Rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, burdock root, cayenne, chamomile, chickweed, chicory, dandelion, eyebright, fennel seed, fenugreek, flaxseed, hops, horsetail, kelp, lemongrass, mullein, nettle, oat straw, paprika, parsley, peppermint, plantain, raspberry leaf, red clover, rose hips, shepherd’s purse, violet leaves, yarrow, yellow dock

COPPER
Converts iron to hemoglobin. Protects against anemia. Needed for healthy bones and joints.

MEAT SOURCES: Chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine

HERBAL SOURCES: Sheep sorrel

IODINE
Needed in trace amounts for a healthy thyroid gland , and to help metabolize excess fat.

MEAT SOURCES: Salmon, haddock, seafood, egg

HERBAL SOURCES: Calendula, tarragon leaves, turkey rhubarb

IRON
Essential for metabolism, and the production of hemoglobin.

MEAT SOURCES: Rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, burdock root, catnip, cayenne, chamomile, chickweed, chicory, dandelion, dong quai, eyebright, fennel seed, fenugreek, horsetail, kelp, lemongrass, licorice, milk thistle seed, mullein, nettle, oatstraw, paprika, parsley, peppermint, plantain, raspberry leaf, rose hips, sarsaparilla, shepherd’s purse, uva ursi, yellow dock

MAGNESIUM
Prevents calcification of soft tissue. Helps reduce and dissolve calcium phosphate kidney stones. Helps prevent birth defects. Improves cardiovascular system.

MEAT SOURCES: Rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, bladder wrack, catnip, cayenne, chamomile, chickweed, dandelion, eyebright, fennel, fenugreek, hops, horsetail, lemongrass, licorice, mullein, nettle, oat straw, paprika, parsley, peppermint, raspberry leaf, red clover, sage, shepherd’s purse, yarrow, yellow dock

MANGANESE
Minute quantities of this mineral are needed for healthy nerves, blood sugar regulation, normal bone growth, and thyroid hormone production.

MEAT SOURCES: Rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, haddock, halibut, sardine

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, burdock root, catnip, chamomile, chickweed, dandelion, eyebright, fennel seed, fenugreek, ginseng, hops, horsetail, lemongrass, mullein, parsley, peppermint, raspberry leaf, red clover, rose hip, wild yam, yarrow, yellow dock

PHOSPHOROUS
Needed for teeth and bone formation, nerve impulse transfer, normal heart rhythm, and kidney function.

MEAT SOURCES: Rabbit, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine

HERBAL SOURCES: Burdock root, turkey rhubarb, slippery elm bark

POTASSIUM
Regulates water balance, and muscle function. Important for health nervous system and regular heart rhythm. 

HERBAL SOURCES: Catnip, hops, horsetail, nettle, plantain, red clover, sage, skullcap

SELENIUM
Provides an important trace element for prostrate gland in males. Protects immune system and helps regulate thyroid hormones.

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, burdock root, catnip, cayenne, chamomile, chickweed, fennel seed, ginseng, garlic, hawthorn berry, hops, horsetail, lemongrass, milk thistle nettle, oat straw, parsley, peppermint, raspberry leaf, rose hips, sarsaparilla, uva ursi, yarrow, yellow dock

ZINC
Promotes growth and mental alertness. Accelerates healing. Regulates oil glands. Promotes healthy immune system, and healing of wounds.

MEAT SOURCES: rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine

HERBAL SOURCES: Alfalfa, burdock root, cayenne, chamomile, chickweed, dandelion, eyebright, fennel seed, hops, milk thistle, mullein, nettle, parsley, rose hips, sage, sarsaparilla, skullcap, wild yam

I use this as a check list to ensure they get at least 95% of each vitamin & mineral each day - its also why I use smart barf.      Tomorrow they are on Pork chunks,  the rest of the beef chunks, & fish. 

I also dehydrate liver, chicken breast and lamb's heart for their treats   -   but I acknowledge that I go overboard and am 'anal' about nutrition.   However Lunar my 13 year old looks like an 8 year old - with the teeth of a one year old, and keeps up with 2 year old Marley.     

I could eat that too! My other half always tells the cashiers in the supermarket when the meat is going thru that the dogs eat better than him! My reply is what’s wrong with a pot noodle!

Hi, did you consult your vet?

When I had a weight issue with my pup, it turned out that he lacks vitamins and that's not something you want to hear when you think you are doing it all right :( My dog wasn't that much skinny, he was more lethargic and when I went for consultations, it turned out that lethargy can be fixed with better nutrition and supplements. I felt relieved when vet told me that it's not so serious and that she has no any illness... But she needed more balanced diet, more protein, more vitamins etc.. I switched to natural Ivorycoat dog food and I am still satisfied with it! I believe there are different options and you should find what works the best in your puppy's case. But, you should first go to vet, you need to make sure if her 'skinny' condition can be fixed with nutrition... You should ask him for advice, but out of my experience I recommend to stick to natural options, with various protein sources... I hope your pup will get better (and 'fatter') :) 

I'm a hooman that feeds dry dog food to my two along with a MultiVitamin & Probiotic daily. But isn't feeding raw cuts of beef/loins/fish etc., like major expensive?? That's a ton of good quality meats given 2-3 times a day for 30 days. It's got to be pricey. With my two, I'd go broke feeding them raw.
Though I eat meat/fish some times, I get grossed out handling raw meat...then I think it "moved" in my hands!! It gives me the Heebie Jeebirs!![emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

I could eat that too! My other half always tells the cashiers in the supermarket when the meat is going thru that the dogs eat better than him! My reply is what’s wrong with a pot noodle!

Everything is wrong with a pot noodle ....for a dog .... for your other half??? Completely fine - crack on [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

I'm a hooman that feeds dry dog food to my two along with a MultiVitamin & Probiotic daily. But isn't feeding raw cuts of beef/loins/fish etc., like major expensive?? That's a ton of good quality meats given 2-3 times a day for 30 days. It's got to be pricey. With my two, I'd go broke feeding them raw.
Though I eat meat/fish some times, I get grossed out handling raw meat...then I think it "moved" in my hands!! It gives me the Heebie Jeebirs!![emoji23][emoji23]

I have a great butcher that does great deals for me with lamb, beef, chicken, offal and lamb bones, Morrisons sell beef bones, 3 in a pack for £2 on average and the lamb neck fillets range from £1.50-£3 for a pack of 2. I also feed them Natural Instinct raw ready prepared, I mix it around a little but Salmon is their favourite food.

Everything is wrong with a pot noodle ....for a dog .... for your other half??? Completely fine - crack on [emoji23][emoji23]

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] Exactly! I honestly don’t know why he complains.

8 hours ago, ARMANI & ALINAH said:

Though I eat meat/fish some times, I get grossed out handling raw meat...then I think it "moved" in my hands!! It gives me the Heebie Jeebirs!!emoji23.pngemoji23.png

I only feed once a day,  not all the meat is from the butcher, I also use  Purely Raw  -  a shop about 5 miles away from where I live that supplies really good quality meat for dogs & cats too  -  that's where the beef came from  £3.50 per kilo.   The offal is a DAF product   -  around £1.50 from memory  -    but as its just part of their diet one tub lasts the two dogs three days.     Believe me, as a pensioner I do not have unlimited funds, however hubby & I eat cheaply, don't go out, don't smoke etc, I cook from scratch daily etc

I've been veggie for around 40 years  -  I know what you mean about handling meat  -  and I am allergic to fish  -  thats why each meal-time I use two different scissors, sharp knife, ordinary knife, fork, teaspoon,  -   its rare that I ever actually touch the meat unless I am cutting off fat and skin  (YUK).

I honestly believe that what I feed my boys is not that much more expensive than the best quality dry foods  (they can be expensive as well) 

Archived