My husky is always hungry!

Gunjan

My husky always acts hungry. He is 4 months old. I feed him 4 times a day. Thrice a day I feed him kibble (2 handful each time). And an egg and a bowl of steamed veggies between each of the three meals. 

However he is always looking at our faces in anticipation of food. We usually avoid eating infront of him but in case we are, he will jump and ask for food. He weighs 28 pounds at 4 months and somehow I feel he is gaining weight. He is quite active and gets enough exercise daily. We live in the mountains and apsrt from short potty walks we go out for over an hour walk daily where he runs and rolls and jumps. Additionally he plays at home.

Am I not doing something right ? Please advise. 

Yep harlow knows the smell of cheese and ham very well she'll come charging in the house and straight into a sit ready for a taste. But if we eat outside she used to jump up for food she's since learned that behaviour does not get rewarded so she'll sit politely waiting for food and doesn't ever get any so she'll give up and wander off [emoji23]. some dogs are very food driven and thank god she is is as I use it to get her back at the park!

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

@Gunjan ~ You said you take your 4-month puppy for a walk daily. I've learned from this forum that puppies should only be taken on shorter walks while still growing. Per this guideline: For every month, add 5 minutes, i.e.,
(1-month old = 5-minute walk) ... (2-month old = 10-minute walk), etc.
So you could take your pup on a 20-min walk since he's 4mths. Puppies need "lots" of puppy food since they are rapidly growing, so check the food chart on your dogfood bag to see the feeding requirements ... usually around 4-6cups daily. Also, the short potty breaks are fine in addition to the 20-minute walk.
I hope this helps.[emoji847][emoji252][emoji191]

P.S. You can always add some puppy treats in as well.
If your pup has diarrhea, you should get it checked for worms. Also, puppies will get the runs from time to time because their digestive tracks are developing...everything is growing!![emoji847]

Yep harlow knows the smell of cheese and ham very well she'll come charging in the house and straight into a sit ready for a taste. But if we eat outside she used to jump up for food she's since learned that behaviour does not get rewarded so she'll sit politely waiting for food and doesn't ever get any so she'll give up and wander off [emoji23]. some dogs are very food driven and thank god she is is as I use it to get her back at the park!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

True! I guess ignoring him at that point would be the best thing to do.

And I totally agree with you. Sometimes all I have to yell is ‘chicken’ or ‘fish’ to get him back to me [emoji23]

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

@Gunjan ~ You said you take your 4-month puppy for a walk daily. I've learned from this forum that puppies should only be taken on shorter walks while still growing. Per this guideline: For every month, add 5 minutes, i.e.,
(1-month old = 5-minute walk) ... (2-month old = 10-minute walk), etc.
So you could take your pup on a 20-min walk since he's 4mths. Puppies need "lots" of puppy food since they are rapidly growing, so check the food chart on your dogfood bag to see the feeding requirements ... usually around 4-6cups daily. Also, the short potty breaks are fine in addition to the 20-minute walk.
I hope this helps.[emoji847][emoji252][emoji191]

P.S. You can always add some puppy treats in as well.
If your pup has diarrhea, you should get it checked for worms. Also, puppies will get the runs from time to time because their digestive tracks are developing...everything is growing!![emoji847]

Thanks @ ARMANI & ALINAH [emoji4]
I read that too somewhere. But I also read that they need a lot of exercise and a tired husky is a happy husky. Also I feed him Orijen puppy food which is high on protein and someone suggested that he would require a lot of exercise with that. Logan has a lot of energy and even after an hour long walk he wants to come home to jump and charge at us. But I also understand that at this tender age too much exercise can harm their joints (if I’m not wrong). So I will keep in mind what you suggested.

Also I’m feeding him more than what is mentioned on the food bag. That’s what makes me wonder why is he hungry all the time.
He has been dewormed and I always monitor his poop. I put him on pumpkin if he ever has a runny tummy. He loves it.
The treats! Yes he gets those too.

Maybe it’s just his thing.
Thanks a lot [emoji4]

I think you're doing great!![emoji847] If his hunger seems to be overly excessive, you could always get blood work to ensure he doesn't have diabetes or thyroid problems, just to be safe.
You can always send photos!![emoji847][emoji252][emoji274]

I think you're doing great!![emoji847] If his hunger seems to be overly excessive, you could always get blood work to ensure he doesn't have diabetes or thyroid problems, just to be safe.
You can always send photos!![emoji847][emoji252][emoji274]

Sure! I will consider that!
Thanks again [emoji1360][emoji4]
Here’s Logan saying thank you [emoji190]

IMG_4340.HEIC

Hi, One of mine, Luka blue is a food monster, always has been, but saying that I’ve used his love of food as a distraction for him if we’re on a walk and he’s getting anxious if a dog is walking behind us or toward us, it never fails to work, treat at the ready! You could try Logan on raw lamb or beef bones to occupy him, small bones at his age. I found Luka blue easy to train in some things because of his love of food.

if  I let mine they would be hungry all the time as well...they know not to beg for food, they do get told of for begging as I hate that beheaviour, my food is mine and theirs is theirs...

My husky always acts hungry. He is 4 months old. I feed him 4 times a day. Thrice a day I feed him kibble (2 handful each time). And an egg and a bowl of steamed veggies between each of the three meals. 
However he is always looking at our faces in anticipation of food. We usually avoid eating infront of him but in case we are, he will jump and ask for food. He weighs 28 pounds at 4 months and somehow I feel he is gaining weight. He is quite active and gets enough exercise daily. We live in the mountains and apsrt from short potty walks we go out for over an hour walk daily where he runs and rolls and jumps. Additionally he plays at home.
Am I not doing something right ? Please advise. 
My husky is the exact same, maybe worse. He somehow knows (no joke) whenever someone even enters the kitchen and will wake up out of a dead sleep or come bounding to the door begging to be let in from outside. Even if all were doing is getting a drink of water. So I have come to diagnose him as a Foodie. Lol its annoying but his darn eyes! Its like his whole face was bred for the perfect begger. Just so darn sad and pathetic in a most adorable way! In short get used to it. And 28 pounds at 4 months seems a tad light to me. Mine was around 40.

Hi, One of mine, Luka blue is a food monster, always has been, but saying that I’ve used his love of food as a distraction for him if we’re on a walk and he’s getting anxious if a dog is walking behind us or toward us, it never fails to work, treat at the ready! You could try Logan on raw lamb or beef bones to occupy him, small bones at his age. I found Luka blue easy to train in some things because of his love of food.

That’s true indeed! I can make him do anything for the love of food. Just that it’s annoying at times, like he’s not being fed at all. I wonder if he will ever be able to survive on 2 meals a day when he grows up (as suggested by many).
Thanks anyway [emoji4]

if  I let mine they would be hungry all the time as well...they know not to beg for food, they do get told of for begging as I hate that beheaviour, my food is mine and theirs is theirs...

Absolutely! I find it very annoying too.
How did you train them?
All I can think of is showing my empty hands to him saying I have nothing.

My husky is the exact same, maybe worse. He somehow knows (no joke) whenever someone even enters the kitchen and will wake up out of a dead sleep or come bounding to the door begging to be let in from outside. Even if all were doing is getting a drink of water. So I have come to diagnose him as a Foodie. Lol its annoying but his darn eyes! Its like his whole face was bred for the perfect begger. Just so darn sad and pathetic in a most adorable way! In short get used to it. And 28 pounds at 4 months seems a tad light to me. Mine was around 40.

Maybe give him something to chew that takes longer to eat or food that takes longer to digest. Oriijen may be high in protein but it’s quite processed so maybe it doesn’t take as long to digest? How about a marrow bone, give it to him when you eat but not in the same room. Raw duck necks are pretty good, dog trainer I know gives his dogs chicken feet. I’d make sure he's never in the room when you eat and that he’s never given human food scraps as that will encourage him to believe he can have what you have. Does he drink enough and always has fresh water available, especially necessary if he has kibble?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe give him something to chew that takes longer to eat or food that takes longer to digest. Oriijen may be high in protein but it’s quite processed so maybe it doesn’t take as long to digest? How about a marrow bone, give it to him when you eat but not in the same room. Raw duck necks are pretty good, dog trainer I know gives his dogs chicken feet. I’d make sure he's never in the room when you eat and that he’s never given human food scraps as that will encourage him to believe he can have what you have. Does he drink enough and always has fresh water available, especially necessary if he has kibble?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes he has fresh and plenty of water available at all times. Earlier I would soak the kibble and feed him and he would drink less water but for the last couple of weeks I have started to feed him dry and I noticed his water intake has also increased since then.
I fed him pumpkin as one meal thinking it has a lot of fibre so it will keep him full for long . That didn’t help much either.
I guess a marrow bone sounds like a good idea. I can find lamb and chicken feet here but duck necks not quite sure.
Also we keep him off sugar and salt so we never never feed him our food leftovers. My father though, when eating some fruits does sometimes feed Logan alongside and I suspect that’s where he is developing the begging habit from.

Thanks a lot for your help! [emoji846]

Lol! I can’t stop laughing. Wakes up out of a dead sleep [emoji38]

Yes that’s true! Those eyes just melt your heart. And then I just show him my empty hands and say “there’s nothing”! I have taught him commands like ‘sit’ and ‘paw’ . So at times he would just sit and raise his paw as if saying ‘ here mom this might make you happy. Now gimme something to eat’. [emoji1]

And as for the weight he doesn’t look lean though. Please see the picture attached. Probably he isn’t as tall as yours?? IMG_1637.thumb.JPG.08ba48520274d07fcc41e588bf7723c2.JPG

Yes that’s true! Those eyes just melt your heart. And then I just show him my empty hands and say “there’s nothing”! I have taught him commands like ‘sit’ and ‘paw’ . So at times he would just sit and raise his paw as if saying ‘ here mom this might make you happy. Now gimme something to eat’. [emoji1]
And as for the weight he doesn’t look lean though. Please see the picture attached. Probably he isn’t as tall as yours?? IMG_1637.thumb.JPG.08ba48520274d07fcc41e588bf7723c2.JPG

Lol Titan does the same thing he will sit and offer paw expecting to get something in return lol

When titan was little he would also slowly crawl up my body and rest his head on my belly or shoulder and just look at me up close and personal lol

Archived