Adopted 6 year old husky

clnsky

Hi All,

Looking for some advice for a new husky owner.

I adopted a 6 year old husky off a friend, that had a change in circumstances that couldn't accommodate his dog.

The dog was always an outside dog, and was left at home for the business hours.

Now i understand that he is now in a new environment with a new owner and needs time to adjust, but looking for tips on how to speed this up and make me feel more at ease!

Issues i'm facing.

• If i'm out of line out site from the back door, he whimpers and will howl. This makes being at home very hard, as he will howl once we go into another room besides the kitchen.
  • At night time, he will howl all night (left him until 3am, then went outside so i wouldn't get noise complaints). To get over this, I've had to stay in view of him close to the back door to avoid the howling.

I would prefer not to leave the dog howling for long periods of times, especially at night as i live in a very quiet neighbourhood.

Any tips or help would be appreciated! Once again sorry if this is very newbie, i'm new to huskys and dogs, but trying my best!

PS - i've only had the dog for 3 nights but its driving the wife insane.

Also i've tried bringing the dog inside slowly on a leash to try familiarize being indoors on those hot days that need AC!

Thanks,

Colin

Hi Colin, huskies are social animals and are prone to suffering from seperation anxiety. They aren't a breed you can just leave outside, so the only solution is really to bring him inside and start from there

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I agree with Rachael... remember as well he has been torn from what he has know for a long time now everything is new ...new smell of your house your voice your wifes voice all changes that he has to get to used to ...I know with our Iwan (welsh springer) we adopted into our house at 6,5 years young it did take him and us a good 2 / 3 months to get used to his new  surroundings...

Is he ok when he’s inside? I understand that he was previously an outside dog which is why you’re trying to gradually introduce him indoors but I was wondering if that’s not needed and he’s actually happier being inside?

Can you have him inside? Older dogs dont regulate body temps too well. He may also be struggling with SA - separation anxiety - from old owner and now you...

Are you able to take some days off to go walking out, car travel and just 'bonding' time together.. could you crate train him.. so up to four hours indoors and optional access to outside - my two have 24/7 access via large flap (lockable) to a big rear area. 6' fencing and they're big enough to intimidate anyone they don't know from entering their space if anyone dared! ... def have acquired some guarding attitudes too.

This breed prefer to be a companion rather than a pet.

Can you give him a filled Kong to occupy him a while.. a raw bone - but supervise and remove splinters and the bone at night or if you're out.

A radio on helps too.

He'll certainly enjoy indoor time with you both and maybe a trip to the groomers will spruce him up from a longtime outside/outdoor coat.

Time, patience and love. And maybe he now needs to be indoors ..

(I've just realised it's hot where you are - I was at boarding school in Brisbane...) has he a reasonably tall kennel/box off the ground with fresh straw and some slatted vents under to air? Refresh all the straw if it becomes damp.. and check it regularly that it is not mouldy or musty.

Certainly good shadey areas are important and a paddle pool under shade with freshly filled water up to his knee height will help too. They can cool off standing in water...

He may feel colder too - if/when you're in winter time.

www.successdogs.com has tips on how to reassure through training in positive reward enforcement too.

Congrats on your furkid.. life changes ahead [emoji847][emoji6][emoji16]🤣

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Where are you?

Hi, Husky’s will howl, actually most dogs will if left for too long on their own. As mentioned, husky’s are more companions, they like to be with you and to be able to see you.
Everything has changed for your husky, new owner, new home, and your not going to be able to speed things up with him, he needs to trust you and this will take time. I would advise some research about husky’s and what you’re taking on.
Good for you for adopting him and good luck with training.

Thanks for all your feedback!

I did bring him inside one night to try get him comfy and maybe sleep inside, but he freaked out and wanted to get back outside, so i'll slowly try introducing him into the house maybe an hour a week to get used to it.

He seems to be getting better with his behavior and whining a bit less and not howling as often, so i guess its time and trust thats needed.

I am located in Australia, so it does get rather hot here, hence why i want to keep him inside during summer when its 40 degrees Celsius in the AC!

Thanks,

Colin

Thanks for all your feedback!

I did bring him inside one night to try get him comfy and maybe sleep inside, but he freaked out and wanted to get back outside, so i'll slowly try introducing him into the house maybe an hour a week to get used to it.

He seems to be getting better with his behavior and whining a bit less and not howling as often, so i guess its time and trust thats needed.

I am located in Australia, so it does get rather hot here, hence why i want to keep him inside during summer when its 40 degrees Celsius in the AC!

Thanks,

Colin

Lol.. maybe a play mate will also help .. they really benefit from this having company. My boy on the left, did big-time after his foster mum my WHW and her father Wesley passed on within six months of each other when he was 8 months old.

Eski came by the time he was two and pining badly. She's six months older - now 6yo. Rescue/rehome. [emoji847] I'd have loads more - hubby says if I sell my boat .. maybe [emoji848][emoji52] my two love cruising!

I have purpose built shelters and run/s to foster now, but could also give holiday space/time to my friends privately.

As I'm not charging a fee, just enough to cover costs re feed, poop bags, straw, walking time, I don't need a boarding licence and these are open shelters within a big run. There are two other separated run areas incl the very large grassed lawn. FB_IMG_1518531485934.thumb.jpg.f85c6f86cb0fe731d4f8509276d074cc.jpg20180205_234036.thumb.jpg.488a63bdf138e1150bdd5b978f12c594.jpgreceived_10156736228114989.thumb.jpeg.0aab77f26712df5d4513d4d383336769.jpeg20180128_105120.thumb.jpg.7456837be663cb3364c8f3ce1643e60e.jpg

Archived