Help!!

Jo

Had Amy back to vet today as she has blood in her poop again, she’s also not eating, vet has said she needs to stay on bland food but I’ve tried rice and chicken, scrambled egg, some yucky low fat gastro stuff from the vets, if she’s not eating by tomorrow the vet wants her back in for IV!!

Any inventive ideas on bland food for me to try??

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Oh, and also I just cant get her sodding tablets down her - any ideas I’m at my wits end [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve tried that, I’m rubbish at it, she just spits them out [emoji33]and then looks at me like I’ve tried to throttle her [emoji23]

JO~ When you give AMY a tablet, once you put pill in back of her throat, blow quickly in her nose. That will cause her the reflex to swallow. (Then, I always have a small treat to give right after blowing in the nose.)
She probably does need IVs.
I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Sending prayers for her to get better.
[emoji120][emoji171][emoji252]

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Try sticking it further back, rub her throat for a while make her swallow a couple of times if it's back far enough she shouldn't be able to spit it out , get your hand in her mouth to get it to the back just obviously don't choke her lol

I do not have that problem.. Both Alpha & Bindi eat them as treats as I hide them in their treat jar so they think they are treats have done ever since they have been with us..

but my vet does say that doing it the way Nix says is the way they do it when the pup does not want to eat their meds..

Luka spat his out and I had to put it in the back of his throat and hold his mouth closed, blowing also works.

Had Amy back to vet today as she has blood in her poop again, she’s also not eating, vet has said she needs to stay on bland food but I’ve tried rice and chicken, scrambled egg, some yucky low fat gastro stuff from the vets, if she’s not eating by tomorrow the vet wants her back in for IV!!
Any inventive ideas on bland food for me to try??

Oh, and also I just cant get her sodding tablets down her - any ideas I’m at my wits end [emoji17]

Try white fish and mashed sweet potato, I tried everything and this is all he ate for 5 days. Hope Amy will be ok. [emoji3]

And, forgot to mention, I hand fed the fish to begin with as he was too weak to eat from his bowl all he was doing was sleeping, but he ate all of the fish and it’s the only food he’d eat, I added sweet potato after 2 days of him eating consistently. [emoji3]

Thank you everyone I managed to get it down her throat this morning and she has had some scrambled egg! Bought some white fish so that will be tonights tea!
Hopefully she’ll start to pick up I dont want her staying at vets again!

White fish and sweet potato was a hit, so relieved!!!! She gobbled it up, only problem I may have now is that after all this home cooking she’s not going to want to go back to her kibble!!! [emoji23]

I’ve tried that, I’m rubbish at it, she just spits them out [emoji33]and then looks at me like I’ve tried to throttle her [emoji23]

With Astro I wrap his tablets in peanut butter and ham, the trick with him is not to let him put his head down that's when he thinks too much and spits it out! So I keep his head high by showing him another piece of ham straight after I've given him the tablet and 8 times out of 10 it does the trick [emoji23]

Its difficult to find something to hide it in, she has to have low fat now to reduce chance of another attack, I did cave and squished it in cheese but she managed to eat the cheese and spit the meds out!
Thankfully I seem to of mastered the art of throwing it down her neck!! [emoji23]

White fish and sweet potato was a hit, so relieved!!!! She gobbled it up, only problem I may have now is that after all this home cooking she’s not going to want to go back to her kibble!!! [emoji23]

Lol [emoji23] we’ll be seeing you on master chef!
Glad she ate it, it’s such a relief when they eat.

Why low fat? I was going to suggest butter with the tablets as most dogs can’t resist it. I’m sure dogs need fat just as humans do. I feel for you, a sick dog is so worrying and when they don’t eat you just get even more worried. The only way my old collie would eat was if I hand fed him bit by bit. I think by then we knew we wouldn’t have him much longer [emoji853] He was almost 15 and we’d had him since he was 7. Have you thought of asking for a second opinion for Amy? Vets these days seem to vary such a lot in their knowledge that where one is scratching around for a diagnosis another might just work it out from previous experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why low fat? I was going to suggest butter with the tablets as most dogs can’t resist it. I’m sure dogs need fat just as humans do. I feel for you, a sick dog is so worrying and when they don’t eat you just get even more worried. The only way my old collie would eat was if I hand fed him bit by bit. I think by then we knew we wouldn’t have him much longer [emoji853] He was almost 15 and we’d had him since he was 7. Have you thought of asking for a second opinion for Amy? Vets these days seem to vary such a lot in their knowledge that where one is scratching around for a diagnosis another might just work it out from previous experience.

A high fat diet can worsen pancreatitis in dogs and that can make it a fatal problem as the pancreas is already inflamed and it's what helps a dog digest food

As Nix said, a high fat diet can trigger another attack vet recommends less than 15% fat content which Amys kibble is so thats good ( when she gets back on it!)
I trust my vet completely, they were very quick to find whats wrong and thorough in the tests and looked after her really well [emoji4]

She’s definitely on the mend, just found her on my treatment couch..
cd44b076408ca8fd1f08ab917039e39c.heic
Pedicure please mum [emoji23]c2c14c10e24bd5725ead1feddb254326.heic

She’s not supposed to go in my treatment room but as she’s been poorly.......... not spoilt at all [emoji23]
My friend came for a treatment and Amy jumped on couch with her!!!!

Archived