Crying if I leave the room.

Onceuponadime

I've had my pup 6 weeks now. The last couple of nights he cried. I've gone downstairs let him out for the toilet then gone back to bed and OMG he has howled for hours! During the day he follows me every where but I won't allow him upstairs so if I go upstairs he howls. How long are they clingy like this for and how can I combat it especially through the day. I have other dogs also I've just purchased some Adaptil which apparently can help?  His training plus everything else is OK. 

Hi, Cai did this for a few months when I brought him home as a pup, even if I went to the toilet, Luka didn’t. I found when I started to leave the house for 5 mins and built up the time I was gone gradually, Cai calmed down a lot, it took a while but I think it might depend on how often you work on leaving them, I found my 2 like to be with me, even if I’m pottering in the garden, I think it’s a husky thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

4 minutes ago, Maz51 said:

Yes.. no matter what I'm doing they keep me in sight, unless in bed.. then join me!

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

He follows me everywhere but I won't have him on the beds nor upstairs. None of my dogs are allowed upstairs that's the cats domain. 

A behaviourist told me to teach my dogs to wait outside the room I'm in, keep the door open but not let them in until I say. I don't do it all the time just when I need a bit of peace! Both of mine were very clingy and the behaviourist said it's them guarding you and them being constantly anxious about where you are and if you're ok. Once they learn you can look after yourself they can relax a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Marley was like a limpet when I got him  -  but I put that down to my being his fourth owner and him feel insecure.    He is 2 now and not so bad although if I go upstairs he still follows to the top of the stairs  (child gate - upstairs is also my cats domain during the day) and waits for me to come down again.    However both dogs do come upstairs at night  -  I've child gates on the other doors so the cats can choose where they want to sleep but the dogs only have access to the landing and my bedroom.   I've taken one of the bars out of each child gate so the cats can go through at speed if necessary - but the dogs cannot even get their heads through.

We brought our puppy home at 7 weeks and she's now 11 weeks. We keep her in the kitchen + laundry room + front entrance of the house because the floors are tiled (the rest of the house is carpeted). Initially, we spent 100% of our time in the kitchen with her. She'd follow us everywhere too. But we then decided to start leaving the kitchen and closing the door behind us. We'd leave to go do laundry and then we'd quickly come back to the kitchen. She started to cry too. But as we kept leaving her for a few minutes, closing the door and coming back, she quickly realized that we weren't leaving her. Also, we've gradually built up to only leaving her alone  for 2 hours now at age 11 weeks and then we're back with her (or least one of us is). The crying stopped at 9 weeks.

He is 14 weeks old now. He howls pretty loud. Its as if he sleeps with one eye open, the minute I go upstairs he howl like a werewolf. I do what I need to do but at night time I'm worn out. He's not on his own downstairs I have other dogs.   The minute I leave the room he's two steps behind. I ignore him but it's no fun at bedtime listening to constant howling. 

Archived