scratching?

eriin

Does anyone notice their huskies get itchy while they are growing their winter coat in? zen will be a year on the 11th i got her in february (i live in canada) so she was a puppy last winter. this will be her first 'real winter'. ive noticed recently that she is sratching more. mainly her back legs and armpit/side rib area. when i introduced lamb to her in the summer i noticed she seemed itchy, so i stopped feeding it and havent gave since. its not compulsive or anything but im just hoping its not the chicken [emoji30]

Yes Tyson my 6 year old male does. When was the last time she had a bath?? I would get Tea tree oil shampoo for dogs and give her a nice bath then dry her off and brush her. Also add fish oil and Vitiman E to her meals it will go away. [emoji2]

Fish oil just add to her daily meal once or split it between three meals

Vitiman E you can get as a pill and give it to her as a dog treat once a day.

Or they have the stuff together in a pill give it as a treat and then all good [emoji4]

Sent from my Pixel using Husky Owners mobile app

1) ZEN could have fleas. Check her tummy & armpit areas & pull back some of the fur to look for fleas, which are very visible (kind of a brownish dark red bug) that multiplies by the thousands and can get in your house. Also, look at the skin. If her skin has little brown specs, that is flea dirt. You can buy NEXGARD from any Vetenarian, which aids in the prevention of fleas & ticks; it's a chewable type pill and given once a MONTH.
2) If ZEN's skin is really dry & flakey, "Safflower" or Sunflower Oils will help. Also, look at the ingredients on your dog's dry food bag (if you use dry food). It should contain Omega 3's/6's, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, etc. Please be really careful not to give too much of any supplement bcuz they can be toxic. Or possibly, it could be a skin condition or disorder. Also, baths can be hard on skin & fur when done frequently. It just pulls all the oils out from their skin and fur. (I never give my dogs baths unless they get really muddy...then I have too.) A few baths a year shouldn't hurt anything. Also, regular fur brushing every other day is good bcuz it stimulates the skin oils and pulls it into the fur.
3) Your dog could be allergic to chicken. (I know alot of people who have said their dogs are allergic to it.) In my opinion, raw/cooked chicken is really not the best to give your dog especially daily. It lacks alot of good nutrients & vitamins.
4) If ZEN is scratching badly, you may want to take her to the Vet for a good checkup.
Hope this info is useful.
GOOD LUCK WITH ZEN BABY!!
[emoji179][emoji274][emoji178][emoji171]

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

1) ZEN could have fleas. Check her tummy & armpit areas & pull back some of the fur to look for fleas, which are very visible (kind of a brownish dark red bug) that multiplies by the thousands and can get in your house. Also, look at the skin. If her skin has little brown specs, that is flea dirt. You can buy NEXGARD from any Vetenarian, which aids in the prevention of fleas & ticks; it's a chewable type pill and given once a MONTH.
2) If ZEN's skin is really dry & flakey, "Safflower" or Sunflower Oils will help. Also, look at the ingredients on your dog's dry food bag (if you use dry food). It should contain Omega 3's/6's, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, etc. Please be really careful not to give too much of any supplement bcuz they can be toxic. Or possibly, it could be a skin condition or disorder. Also, baths can be hard on skin & fur when done frequently. It just pulls all the oils out from their skin and fur. (I never give my dogs baths unless they get really muddy...then I have too.) A few baths a year shouldn't hurt anything. Also, regular fur brushing every other day is good bcuz it stimulates the skin oils and pulls it into the fur.
3) Your dog could be allergic to chicken. (I know alot of people who have said their dogs are allergic to it.) In my opinion, raw/cooked chicken is really not the best to give your dog especially daily. It lacks alot of good nutrients & vitamins.
4) If ZEN is scratching badly, you may want to take her to the Vet for a good checkup.
Hope this info is useful.
GOOD LUCK WITH ZEN BABY!!
[emoji179][emoji274][emoji178][emoji171]

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

1)she definately does not have fleas and from what i can tell she does not have mites. i generally dont use any sort of that nexgaurd stuff from vets, i prefer to go the natural route. unless its heartworm season, i live in a heavy mosquito area.
2) she gets either salmon or fish oil daily. her fur is fantastic and her skin seems fine also. ill look into saffflower because i have never come across it yet in my dog research, definately will check it out! i will admit i have been slacking on brushing because she's not found of that, so thanks for that reminder! [emoji106]
3) about the chicken; i respectively, but whole heartily, disagree that chicken is not best to give dogs. in fact its a great protein source. i use alot of chicken feet and wings for the bone component in her meals. its quite easy on the stomach, which is the reason for when transitioning dogs to raw chicken is usually the first protein used. THOUGH it is a warm protein, so dogs with exsisting allergies will most likely flare up if constantly fed meets such as chicken venison or lamb. some tradition chinese medicine applied to raw dog food. 🇨🇳

the reason why i think it might be the chicken is because i got my last batch from a different source than i usually do (desperation because i ran out of bone). its really about what the chicken ate. if the chicken ate crap food and was pumped with junk it affects the meat and ultimately the dog. if your dog can not tolerate grains and you feed your dog a chicken that ate soley grain youre gonna have a problem. this is the reason why i do not trust kibble. they can put anything they want on their bags. *ramble ramble ramble* ill stop myself now [emoji6]

4)its definately not a serious issue. why i thought maybe it was from getting her first real winter coat! if it gets worse though i will for sure go to a vet!
thanks for all youre input [emoji4][emoji4] i hope its not the chicken! i would have to go through 2 months worth of individually packaged and frozen meals to remove it and re calculate [emoji30][emoji30] ughhhhh
Yes Tyson my 6 year old male does. When was the last time she had a bath?? I would get Tea tree oil shampoo for dogs and give her a nice bath then dry her off and brush her. Also add fish oil and Vitiman E to her meals it will go away. [emoji2]
Fish oil just add to her daily meal once or split it between three meals
Vitiman E you can get as a pill and give it to her as a dog treat once a day.
Or they have the stuff together in a pill give it as a treat and then all good [emoji4]

literally JUST did a bath the other day cuz she was smelling baaadd! wish i though of teatrea oil or something! all i have right now is a gentle hypo puppy shampoo. its good to now its not out of the ordinary though! thank youu[emoji4]

Mine can sometimes get a bit itchy during a blow out but tbh the things I would suggest you are already doing. Fish oils, oatmeal bath, cutting out grains to see if it’s an allergy (you raw feed so not an issue). Hopefully it’ll settle down as the coat blow progresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Mine can sometimes get a bit itchy during a blow out but tbh the things I would suggest you are already doing. Fish oils, oatmeal bath, cutting out grains to see if it’s an allergy (you raw feed so not an issue). Hopefully it’ll settle down as the coat blow progresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

i consider myself pretty dog savvy but this is my first time owning not only a husky but a double coated breed altogether. so im glad to know its not and entirely uncommon trait. hopefully its just the blowing process and doesnt progress!

i consider myself pretty dog savvy but this is my first time owning not only a husky but a double coated breed altogether. so im glad to know its not and entirely uncommon trait. hopefully its just the blowing process and doesnt progress!
@Eriin that's why we are here [emoji6] No it's not uncommon Tyson is my only one that does it. Can you buy a blower the thing that's at groomers that blows the cost out in like one day depending upon how big the husky is [emoji4][emoji4] Then you would know if it's the chicken or her fur 🤗

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone notice their huskies get itchy while they are growing their winter coat in? zen will be a year on the 11th i got her in february (i live in canada) so she was a puppy last winter. this will be her first 'real winter'. ive noticed recently that she is sratching more. mainly her back legs and armpit/side rib area. when i introduced lamb to her in the summer i noticed she seemed itchy, so i stopped feeding it and havent gave since. its not compulsive or anything but im just hoping its not the chicken [emoji30]

I used a medicated dog shampoo when I saw my dog scratching. After I bathed her I applied a natural apple oil conditioner to her coat and combed it. Seemed to have worked she’s not itching any longer. She gets her omegas etc. so I knew it wasn’t that or fleas:ticks; etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Good point. We live in Florida. So I bathed my pup outside, dried her w a towel and, let her soak up the sun. I was amazed at how beautifully her coat dried in the natural sunlight. It wasn’t overly hot because she will not sit in the overly hot sun but I think from now on I’ll continue to bathe her that way and keep her away from the blowdryers. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

You do seem pretty dog savvy and have done alot of great research!! (I'm not a raw food person, so I don't know what I'm talking about LOL!) I think you are doing super great in caring for your baby!!
[emoji16][emoji171][emoji92][emoji274]

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

but i always want to hear your tips and advice! especially because youre an experienced husky owner. you can never stop learning [emoji5]

Archived