Walking after Spade.

Guinnessman

Lucy was spade, full op., yesterday morning, so about 36 hours ago. She is doing absolutely brilliant and the wound is clean and nice.

Vet said no walks at all for 24 hours, then short walks for the next week.

Thing is, what is a short walk? She is gagging to go for a walk, she pretty much walks to heel on a slack lead when it is just the two of us.

Our normal evening walk is 5 miles and I have just come back from 10 with Logan.

Is the 1.5m round trip to the local too much? She’d get an hours rest half way through and the mental stimulation of being there would help stop her going stir crazy.

I’m sure many have been through this, so your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners mobile app

Thanks, that helps, kinda what I thought, we just did 10 mins around the block, which was just about right. We’ll do the same in the morning, then in the Afternoon she can go see her friends.

When I picked her up from vet, the nurse said keep her warm tonight. Then looked at Lucy, laughed and added, sorry that’s habit. It’s a Husky wearing a vest.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

Our vet told us ‘calm’ walks for 2 weeks, I just took Amy for short 20 mins for few days then built up, I think its stopping them jumping and bouncing around thats more important to protect the stiches
You know your dog better than anyone so I’d play it by ear
Hope shes on the mend soon

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Our vet told us ‘calm’ walks for 2 weeks, I just took Amy for short 20 mins for few days then built up, I think its stopping them jumping and bouncing around thats more important to protect the stiches
You know your dog better than anyone so I’d play it by ear
Hope shes on the mend soon

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Thanks. When I take her on her own, she walks so gently by my side, especially when it is dark. I think had she been pulling I’d have cut it shorter, but she just pottered about quite happy.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners mobile app

Archived