How long did YOUR husky live?

Vickie

Hello all! I'm a new husky parent! I've always loved the breed and read extensively about it, fantasising one day to own one but kept it at that: a fantasy. Life changed for the better (it happens!) where I met my now-fiance who's equally physically active and loves dogs as much as I do; we bought a house together and adopted our first dog from the shelter about a month ago: a 7-year-old female husky who came overweight but fully housetrained. She's the most adorable goofball who spoils us as much as we spoil her.

It's only been a month and we can already tell we'll be heartbroken when she goes over the rainbow bridge... So I know the breed typically lives for 10-14 years, and female huskies live longer than male. But what I'm interested in is how long your husky, or a husky you knew, actually lived. Please share? :)

TL;DR:

1. How long did your husky live?
  2. What is the sex of said husky?
  3. Feel free to share any backstory of your pupper if it's relevant to their health/age. :)

Edit: Not sure if I should have posted in the health section. Mods please move if appropriate.

• Like 2

Congratulations! And welcome to the pack!!!  My oldest is a 15 year old husky female with no current health problems. No arthritis or hip problems. Teeth are all good. She just in the past month or so has started to slow up a bit. Prior to that she was running as fast as the rest of the pack. She is still the alpha and still alive. 

• Like 5

They can live for quite some time [emoji4][emoji4] 10-14 is just what they have to tell you. 15 is the longest I've ever seen and the husky was happy spectacular all the way to her day over the rainbow bridge [emoji170][emoji177][emoji179][emoji179][emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji171][emoji171][emoji171][emoji171] Nice to meet you and your husky!! [emoji4][emoji4] You did a wonderful thing by adopting [emoji4][emoji4]🤗🤗 Don't ever under estimate your husky they are good at being tricky and always stay positive makes things go a lot faster 🤗🤗🤗[emoji7][emoji7][emoji7] I have seven huskies right now that I show and sled with I will have to tell you the ages and stuff tomorrow as it's late where I am right now [emoji4][emoji7]🤗🤗🤗 Talk to you later [emoji4][emoji1][emoji1] Welcome to the pack [emoji252][emoji252][emoji191][emoji191][emoji191][emoji252][emoji252][emoji252][emoji252][emoji191]

Sent from my Pixel using Husky Owners mobile app

• Like 3

*WELCOME VICKIE & HUSKY-BABY*
~~ALL THINGS ARE PAWSIBLE~~a13f086a380da2ab30ce5b5cc29e8080.jpg

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

@HuskysAtPlay ~ How cool your female is *15*!!! Keep doing what your doing with her bcuz she seems really healthy!! You could always see if Vet will give Tramadol to help her. Or just massage her every night to keep her loose. That's amazing!![emoji178][emoji171][emoji274][emoji179][emoji252][emoji191]

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

@VICKIE ~ Your Husky Baby is only age *7* and has lots of beautiful life left in her!! Just enjoy every single moment with her and live the present...though it's hard some times!! I know you'll give her a great life!! I think you are WONDERFUL rescuing your sweet girl!!
(To me, it's all about what I DO for my babies and *GIVING TO THEM* than me RECEIVING FROM THEM, though I love/need that too!!)
What is her name?? Please share photos any time!![emoji171][emoji178][emoji252][emoji191][emoji274]

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ARMANI & ALINAH said:

*WELCOME VICKIE & HUSKY-BABY*
~~ALL THINGS ARE PAWSIBLE~~a13f086a380da2ab30ce5b5cc29e8080.jpg

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

@HuskysAtPlay ~ How cool your female is *15*!!! Keep doing what your doing with her bcuz she seems really healthy!! You could always see if Vet will give Tramadol to help her. Or just massage her every night to keep her loose. That's amazing!!emoji178.pngemoji171.pngemoji274.pngemoji179.pngemoji252.pngemoji191.png

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

@VICKIE ~ Your Husky Baby is only age *7* and has lots of beautiful life left in her!! Just enjoy every single moment with her and live the present...though it's hard some times!! I know you'll give her a great life!! I think you are WONDERFUL rescuing your sweet girl!!
(To me, it's all about what I DO for my babies and *GIVING TO THEM* than me RECEIVING FROM THEM, though I love/need that too!!)
What is her name?? Please share photos any time!!emoji171.pngemoji178.pngemoji252.pngemoji191.pngemoji274.png

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

@ARMANI & ALINAH I have never given Tasha meds other than heartworm prevention and flea and tick meds. She is doing great. She doesn't need anything yet. She is just a little slower because she is older and wants to be next to me instead of leading her pack. She is not stiff or in any pain at all. She is a happy healthy girl. Just older that's all. But when the time comes I will definitely ask our vet for something to help her if she needs something. 🤗😘🤗😘🤗😘💕

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ARMANI & ALINAH said:

What is her name?? Please share photos any time!!emoji171.pngemoji178.pngemoji252.pngemoji191.pngemoji274.png

My husky girl's name is Mayo (changed after adoption; it was close enough to her original name that she picked up the new name quickly). Everyone at the vet's loved her name but thought she's a boy, haha. I'll share photos in the media thread soon! I have so, so many of them!

And I agree! It's what we can do for our babies. I think her age was one of the factors that put off others from adopting her from the shelter, though.

4 minutes ago, Huskys At Play said:

I have never given Tasha meds other than heartworm prevention and flea and tick meds. She is doing great. She doesn't need anything yet. She is just a little slower because she is older and wants to be next to me instead of leading her pack. She is not stiff or in any pain at all. She is a happy healthy girl. Just older that's all. But when the time comes I will definitely ask our vet for something to help her if she needs something. 🤗😘🤗😘🤗😘💕

Mayo might already have developed a bit of a hip problem because she's overweight from her previous family. She seems slow sitting or lying down, but not enough to affect play or her enthusiasm for walks and runs, especially if there's a bird in front! She's already losing weight at a good rate and we'll be adding joint supplements to her diet, so here's hoping she'll enjoy many more years with us! 

• Like 3

Mayo is a cute name and we look forward to seeing your photos 💕 Excess weight is hard on a husky especially when they are developing hip problems. It is good that she is with you and will be taken care of properly. 🤗 The supplements are great 👍. I'm sure you will enjoy many years with her. 💕❤️💞

• Like 1

Aww, MAYO has a great Mommy for caring so much!! Yes, I'm hoping it's just the extra weight that causes her hip problem, but will get better & better!! So happy you rescued her!! I just know her light is so much better NOW than her previous life. And all the love you give her just warms her soul!!
[emoji171][emoji179][emoji274][emoji191][emoji252][emoji171]
@HuskysAtPlay ~ I'm so happy TASHA-Baby is pretty darn healthy for 15!! That is amazing!!![emoji171][emoji179][emoji178][emoji252][emoji191]

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

• Like 2

Hi@Vickie last night I promised all of my dogs ages so here is goes.
Maliki-6 years old
Tyson- 6 years old
Polar- 3 years old
Winter- 2 years old
Duke- 1 years old
Sly- 10 months old
Siku- 7 months old
* They are all happy and healthy have a nice workout schedule. Very loving three meals a day.
Your supplement idea is great. I think if you run with her for an hour a day plus about an hour of play time her energy and stamina should go up. Keep her on a grain free diet [emoji177][emoji177][emoji179][emoji179][emoji179] Just have fun! [emoji4][emoji4]

Sent from my Pixel using Husky Owners mobile app

• Like 2

this is my first husky also so i dont have experience with the age thing BUT regarding the hip issue. i am part of a raw feeding dog group that advocate natural supplments, if its something you wanted to look into EVERYONE with mobility issues seems to be using green lipped mussel powder, golden paste (tumeric and cocnut oil) or a therapeutic dose of fish oil, glucosamine. ive never used them myself but thought id through it out there if you ever felt she needed something extra.
and btw welcome! [emoji5]

Sent from my LG-H873 using Husky Owners mobile app

• Like 2

I only just realised how insensitive my thread was, asking people to remember and talk about their gone husky... I've read through quite a few posts in the Rainbow Bridge section, and saw many huskies living well into 14, 15 years. I'll just continue to do my best to give my husky her best life, however long it ends up being. :) 

8 hours ago, eriin said:

this is my first husky also so i dont have experience with the age thing BUT regarding the hip issue. i am part of a raw feeding dog group that advocate natural supplments, if its something you wanted to look into EVERYONE with mobility issues seems to be using green lipped mussel powder, golden paste (tumeric and cocnut oil) or a therapeutic dose of fish oil, glucosamine. ive never used them myself but thought id through it out there if you ever felt she needed something extra.

Thanks Erin. Green-lipped mussel, turmeric and coconut oil aren't already on my list (turmeric is in my human diet haha). I'll look into them. :) 

• 2 years later...

My husky will be 16 in November. He’s got hip problems and doesn’t walk very well anymore. I give him medicine twice a day for arthritis and pain. Other than that, he is in good shape (internally). I don’t have the heart to put him down. I pray that God takes him in his sleep.  

• 2 months later...

I came to tis site to see if I could find the oldest known Husky.  Our perfect girl Kadee has made it to 17 yrs 10.5 months.  Unfortunately we are going to let her go tomorrow as the time has come for her to rest.  But even a few months ago she was still taking long walks and every once in a while would still show a little bit of playfulness.  They are the perfect companion and we will miss her dearly but the memories and joy she has given us all these years will see us through.  

• 3 months later...

hi  my husky has a death wish he always trys to hurt him self so we half to be very careful around the other dogs i tell you labs and husky dont mix  i have a yollow lab that is one and he dosent car about any other dogs download.jpeg.19e91b9da3135b9e7a64da2593bd6ce4.jpeg him be for and himafter 324246063_download(1).jpeg.b83c933e4c65062c29f6e7de113d8d6a.jpeg

now my husky him then418108463_download(2).jpeg.1a9a2dd106f09f80fd574f478121878d.jpegand him nowIMG_20210122_080155.thumb.jpg.ff3eb3a4ed7803af3f0ad1d7b9d73dc5.jpg

• 1 year later...

Bear Stout

10/1/2005 - 9/30/2022

17 years 

Is a long time

for a big old dog to live.

But he had a big heart,

guess he had a lot to give.

Friend and protector, 

he helped me to live

17 years

Ain't long enough

For a good old dog to live.

I wouldn't wonder that God would judge us by releasing our pets to us when we arrive and seeing how they react.  I feel pretty certain there are paws in heaven.  And a good one has gone to see.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=659543172260969&set=a.659539865594633

Goodbye Bear, hope to see you again.

• Broken Heart 1