Husky Puppy

Philosopher

I am currently looking for a Husky Puppy (pure bred).

I've visited a few local breeders and was not very happy at all. I will be going to a breeder who has his dogs akc registered, so I'll see how that goes.

So my question is, a lot of the local breeders' puppies were terrified. One breeder said his puppies were cold (it was cold out), the other breeder said they'e still small (5weeks old) and that is why he was so afraid. [Puppies were in avoidance, hair raised on their back, hunched like a Halloween cat, would not really move when put on the floor...]

(I saw a 5 week old mastiff who was the complete opposite (SUPER SOLID NERVES) so I just want to confirm this is NOT a small husky thing, and that those puppies did not have a stable temperament.) OR is it normal for husky puppies to be acting this way?

One puppy pee'd in his box and all I did was lightly shake my keys infront  of him and he was in complete avoidance. 

I do know a little basics of training and am a huge fan of Michael Ellis and a little of ed frawley. 

5 week old husky puppies shouldn't act that way. They should be social a little. All the husky puppies I ever meet at five where running to me not hunched over like a Halloween cat hahaha [emoji23] The registration won't matter if the pups aren't socialized. I would look at the breeders reviews on the site. :-):-):-)

Sent from my Pixel using Husky Owners mobile app

At 5 weeks old the pups should be well socialized and flood you with affection as you come in their line of sight. Their personalities really start showing at that age. It is the week I look forward to the most because they get so playful and interactive with humans. It is so important to start socializing them very early and stimulating them with human touch. Simulating things that a common toddler would do such as touch their food and want to pet them while they eat. These are things that I do on a daily basis to do my best as a breeder to ensure I did my part to prevent a toddler from getting bitten in the future. I encourage my "extended family" to continue such practices after they leave my home to make sure what was taught stays fresh in their minds and continues. There are so many things that a good breeder will do to ensure you have a great match and well established groundwork to a wonderful new lifetime with your new furbaby. It is up to you to do your homework to ensure you find a good breeder. Ask a lot of questions and they should ask a lot of you not just "How do you plan to pay for him/her?". Good luck with your search. 

At 5 weeks old the pups should be well socialized and flood you with affection as you come in their line of sight. Their personalities really start showing at that age. It is the week I look forward to the most because they get so playful and interactive with humans. It is so important to start socializing them very early and stimulating them with human touch. Simulating things that a common toddler would do such as touch their food and want to pet them while they eat. These are things that I do on a daily basis to do my best as a breeder to ensure I did my part to prevent a toddler from getting bitten in the future. I encourage my "extended family" to continue such practices after they leave my home to make sure what was taught stays fresh in their minds and continues. There are so many things that a good breeder will do to ensure you have a great match and well established groundwork to a wonderful new lifetime with your new furbaby. It is up to you to do your homework to ensure you find a good breeder. Ask a lot of questions and they should ask a lot of you not just "How do you plan to pay for him/her?". Good luck with your search. 

Yep I agree with that I always go in with about ten to twelve questions unless I know the breeder then I don't [emoji3][emoji3] How you pay for them should be like the last thing they ask you. I have never ran into an unsocialized husky puppy at five weeks cold or warm. Research is always good and know everything about the breed your looking for not just the surface of what you think ask questions based on that [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

36 minutes ago, Markie said:

Yep I agree with that I always go in with about ten to twelve questions unless I know the breeder then I don't emoji3.pngemoji3.png How you pay for them should be like the last thing they ask you. I have never ran into an unsocialized husky puppy at five weeks cold or warm. Research is always good and know everything about the breed your looking for not just the surface of what you think ask questions based on that emoji4.pngemoji4.pngemoji4.png

I agree. I have a lot of people asking for help when it comes to breeders. Strangers will message me asking for help in knowing if a certain breeder is a good one or not (usually after I tell them I don't  have any puppies).  I give them guidance and show them what to look for and what to avoid. It truly is sad how many uneducated ones are out there. It saddens me very much. I have been doing this for so long, I guess times have changed and people don't care about keeping the breed pure and healthy anymore. I have to say this site has really made me happy. Everyone here is so great and has a genuine love for the breed. It just warms my heart. 🤗💓🐾 @Philosopher you will love having a husky. They are a special kind of pup. 🐾💞

Yep I agree with that I always go in with about ten to twelve questions unless I know the breeder then I don't [emoji3][emoji3] How you pay for them should be like the last thing they ask you. I have never ran into an unsocialized husky puppy at five weeks cold or warm. Research is always good and know everything about the breed your looking for not just the surface of what you think ask questions based on that [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

Sent from my Pixel using [mention=15191]Philosopher[/mention] you will love having a husky. They are a special kind of pup. [emoji252][emoji179]

Huskies are special [emoji178][emoji177][emoji813]️ I love this site also Huskys at Play [emoji4][emoji4] I'm not a breeder but I work huskies like crazy 🤗🤗 They are the perfect amount of sweet mixed in with a challenge [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7] You will love them [emoji4][emoji4] But first you need to find one [emoji16][emoji16] I don't know where you live but you can go to a show and ask breeders there just don't get in there way while they are busy [emoji4][emoji4]

As above, puppies at that age usually look for attention from people and like to investigate their surroundings, play fight together and are very sociable. If a puppy behaves in the way you describe I’d steer clear of the breeders.
I would steer clear of puppy farms too.
There are videos on YouTube where you can see husky pups at this age and older interacting with ‘mum’ and the breeders.
Being registered shouldn’t make a difference to the well being of pups .
It’s important for you to meet the breeder and pups with mum, and dad if poss, ask as many questions as you need to, a good breeder will ask you just as many questions regarding you’re intent on caring for your pup, they should advise you about diet and Husky behaviour etc.
I hope you find a pup from the right breeder and if and when you do this site is the best site for all things Husky.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Appreciate the advice guys. Yeah, I didn't think so, and it really saddens me these people continue to breed dogs like this. 

I talked to someone on the phone today, says they're working line pups and he takes them trapping. Everything we talked about seemed pretty good. There was however one thing I am a little worried about, one of his dogs killed one of his 5cats. (I have a small breed dog.)

However he already has people buying pups that are just a week old. So I would have to get my pup soley based off the parents and a week old puppy. 

He did interrogate me just as hard as I interrogated him lol... that' always a good sign. 

(I would ideally like to see the pup at 4-6 weeks so I know how the pup is before agreeing, but that might be asking for to much?)

I'm in Ontario Canada. 

Some breeders place you in order of inquiry, some ask for a deposit to secure your pup. Would he allow you to see them? Personality is more important than looks and eye colour and they’d need to be older in order for you to see that. As for killing a cat, it’s not uncommon for husky’s to grow up with cats for years but then one day kill one, they have a high prey drive. I would advise researching this breed fully before committing to one, I hope I don’t sound bossy, lots of husky’s end up in rescues because people aren’t prepared for the amount of work and time that’s required to care for this wonderful breed. Have you considered a rescue?

Appreciate the advice guys. Yeah, I didn't think so, and it really saddens me these people continue to breed dogs like this. 

I talked to someone on the phone today, says they're working line pups and he takes them trapping. Everything we talked about seemed pretty good. There was however one thing I am a little worried about, one of his dogs killed one of his 5cats. (I have a small breed dog.)
However he already has people buying pups that are just a week old. So I would have to get my pup soley based off the parents and a week old puppy. 
He did interrogate me just as hard as I interrogated him lol... that' always a good sign. 
(I would ideally like to see the pup at 4-6 weeks so I know how the pup is before agreeing, but that might be asking for to much?)
I'm in Ontario Canada. 

So just because the parents killed a cat doesnt mean your puppy will. That can be trained out of them pretty easily and consistency they will stop. [emoji4][emoji4] No you should be able to come visit the puppy at anytime at about 4 weeks. [emoji2][emoji2] Now your small breed dog and the husky will have to socialize a lot so the husky doesn't think it's a chew toy. Sorry if that sounds bad but just like with cats huskies have a very very high prey drive and like things that run so they can chase them. Just research and think about your animals you already have and how you plan on making sure they are safe with a husky running around. A husky puppy growing up with them might help but they still have a prey drive. [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

24 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I'm in Ontario Canada. 

Sounds like a good breeder so far. It is unfortunate for those that want to see the pup at 4-5 weeks before deciding, however a good responsible breeder will have a waiting list of great homes lined up before even beginning the breeding process. It is the one thing that I wish was different about the process. Mine are always spoken for before their eyes are open. Just let the breeder know your concerns and they will help you feel more comfortable with what they do. I'm very glad they interrogated you. That means they are looking for good forever homes and the right fit for their babies to go to not just anybody. 👍 You are doing great!!!!! 💞🐾💞 

Sounds like a good breeder so far. It is unfortunate for those that want to see the pup at 4-5 weeks before deciding, however a good responsible breeder will have a waiting list of great homes lined up before even beginning the breeding process. It is the one thing that I wish was different about the process. Mine are always spoken for before their eyes are open. Just let the breeder know your concerns and they will help you feel more comfortable with what they do. I'm very glad they interrogated you. That means they are looking for good forever homes and the right fit for their babies to go to not just anybody. [emoji106] You are doing great!!!!! [emoji179][emoji252][emoji179] 

I Agree with that [emoji178][emoji178][emoji179]

12 minutes ago, Markie said:

So just because the parents killed a cat doesnt mean your puppy will. That can be trained out of them pretty easily and consistency they will stop. emoji4.pngemoji4.png No you should be able to come visit the puppy at anytime at about 4 weeks. emoji2.pngemoji2.png Now your small breed dog and the husky will have to socialize a lot so the husky doesn't think it's a chew toy. Sorry if that sounds bad but just like with cats huskies have a very very high prey drive and like things that run so they can chase them. Just research and think about your animals you already have and how you plan on making sure they are safe with a husky running around. A husky puppy growing up with them might help but they still have a prey drive. emoji4.pngemoji4.pngemoji4.pngemoji4.png

I agree, if the pup is raised with the cat, the pup can be trained to see that cat as part of the family and off limits. I have several families that have puppies of mine that have cats and they live in harmony. But I would not recommend introducing an older dog to a cat and expect anything good out of it. They do have a strong prey instinct and will kill rabbits, mice, moles, cats, birds.... I'm sure you get the idea. You will have to deal with that instinct as well as their drive to run! They should never, I mean NEVER be trusted off leash for their safety. No matter how much you think you can trust them. @Philosopher 

( Huskys At Play) said I agree, if the pup is raised with the cat, the pup can be trained to see that cat as part of the family and off limits. I have several families that have puppies of mine that have cats and they live in harmony. But I would not recommend introducing an older dog to a cat and expect anything good out of it. They do have a strong prey instinct and will kill rabbits, mice, moles, cats, birds.... I'm sure you get the idea. You will have to deal with that instinct as well as their drive to run! They should never, I mean NEVER be trusted off leash for their safety. No matter how much you think you can trust them. @Philosopher 
(Markie) said That is also a good point no off leash unless in a safe fenced in area [emoji4][emoji4] I don't recommend them really playing with any other breeds beside other huskies, Malamutes, or German Shepherd as other breeds don't really understand they are playing and Golden Retrievers are alright also. Your husky could play with your little dog probably for a while. Maliki played with Yorkie once and she rolled on it didn't hurt but she was trying to play with it and rolled on it hahaha [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji6][emoji6]

It's the breeders second litter ever, but it is evident he cares. I am going to see them, puppies and parents. 

My little guy is a yorkie, but I wouldn' be surprsed if he thinks he's alpha over the husky puppy. 

Imo. I'd rather good temperament and nerves,  Over colour. Although both parents  are beautiful. 

Thanks for the leash pointer to.. I hear that, once they start running ...its off to the races. Lol

It's the breeders second litter ever, but it is evident he cares. I am going to see them, puppies and parents. 
My little guy is a yorkie, but I wouldn' be surprsed if he thinks he's alpha over the husky puppy. 
Imo. I'd rather good temperament and nerves,  Over colour. Although both parents  are beautiful. 

Thanks for the leash pointer to.. I hear that, once they start running ...its off to the races. Lol

That sounds great!!! And yes once they start running you might just want to make that your favorite thing lol [emoji23]

I think a Husky puppy would be fine growing up with your Yorkie (bcuz he would be a very young pup. If your Yorkie is Alpha (praying he/she is), your Yorkie will show puppy who is boss. Of course puppy will outgrow Yorkie, so that's when you'll have to really pay attention to puppy's behaviors early on and when he/she gets bigger. Huskies play really rough. Plus puppy will have razor sharp teeth til 4-5months...but your Yorkie had them as a pup too, so he/she might nip the puppy harder to control behavior.
Alot of Husky Owners here have Huskies with other small dogs & cats. It all comes down to great supervision on your part. Go into this very positive and with confidence... and I'm hoping everything will go positive with your Yorkie and new puppy!!
Also, you may want to put dibbs on a puppy now from this breeder or they may all be taken.
As for Huskies & their eye color, I'm probably the exception bcuz between a blue-eyed pup to a dark brown-noser pup, I took the brown-eyed one...which is ARMANI. He has the most fiery orange/amber eyes that look like a wolf's!!
Good luck in your hunt for "Puppy!!"🤗[emoji170][emoji178][emoji120]

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

P.S. I "swear" I did NOT type "brown-noser!"!!! OMGGGGG!!! That AutoCorrect B*ullSh*tter did it!! (I'm laughing so hard right now!!) What a big Oops for not proofreading. My genuine APOLOGIES to you!!
~ANGIE🤗[emoji171][emoji120]

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

@Philosopher
I'm so sorry about that (above)!🤗

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

So just because the parents killed a cat doesnt mean your puppy will. That can be trained out of them pretty easily and consistency they will stop. [emoji4][emoji4] No you should be able to come visit the puppy at anytime at about 4 weeks. [emoji2][emoji2] Now your small breed dog and the husky will have to socialize a lot so the husky doesn't think it's a chew toy. Sorry if that sounds bad but just like with cats huskies have a very very high prey drive and like things that run so they can chase them. Just research and think about your animals you already have and how you plan on making sure they are safe with a husky running around. A husky puppy growing up with them might help but they still have a prey drive. [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

You can't untrain instinct, if a husky, or any dog, wants to kill a cat, squirrel or anything else there's not much you can do about it unfortunately! Huskies have a higher prey drive than most breeds

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Huskies are well known to have a very high prey drive and is quite likely to kill a cat under the right circumstances.

They can live together fine for years and then one day boom! No more kitty. It’s sad but true.

My partner has a Yorkie and he’s the aggressor, he plays well with Luka but Toby(Yorkie) doesn’t like Cai and very often growls and snaps at him, I’m very watchful when Toby’s around as a nip or bite from Cai could be serious for Toby. I think some of it is down to personalities too, but you’d need to supervise play and put boundaries in place for both.

Archived