out of crate??

shanetez1

hi there guys, well the good news is echo has now been completely dry in the house for 2 weeks now, the crate training has been a god send!. we have had the crate in our bedroom since day one for night time sleeping and for putting her in if i have had to pop out, to make sure she didnt get into any mischief or eat an yummy house furnishings. we tried to replace crate for her bed last night and she got her self very worked up and stressed out. she was constantly pacing up and down bedroom and barking at her reflection in our mirror??. we placed her back in her crate and she was back to normal, however i did want to try and do away with crate during the night as she has done so well. any advise you can give would be greatly received, or have i simply upset her steady routine?huh.gif

i think she will b better off keepin the crate as her bed she now sees it as her 'safe place' and u taking that away makes her panick - i wud just keep it there for her - let her sleep in it just leave the door open - u cud try puttin her bed in the crate then gradually moving it away from the crate - like outside the crate door then next 2 the crate then keep movin the crate away - but if she loves her crate y upset it? :)

some ppl who are not used to useing crates dont like um because of how they look but for a dog a crate is his/hers den n a comfortable and safe place sounds like Echo already thinks of her crate in this way our Pagan has been in a crate since we got her 9weeks her door is always open so she can go in n out wen she wants apart from bed time or if we need to go out and ,she LOVES it n not is it only a good safe place 4 her to be but is handy 4 us also hope this helps Caprice smile.gif

laugh.gifwe never did with solo but she also ate my brand new leather sofa and we heard about crate trainning we thought it was a bit crawl at first but it cant be that bad if my echo loves it

lol we got a crate for blaze but when we tried 2 crate train him he worked himself up so much he made himself sick so we didnt bother lol hes bin good tho not rly chewed anything - think it helps having bings around lol sum1 2 hassle and bings tells him off when hes naughty too lol :)

We have several crates permanantly up in the house, and our dogs prize them as 'den' space. The doors on them are usually open so they can just wander in and out as they please and most of ours choose to go off and sleep in a crate. It does come in very handy when we NEED to crate for any reason to know that the dogs are happy to be in there with no stress. I'd say leave the crate. She obviously feels comfortable in there. You don't necessaraly have to close the door if you don't see the need, but what a valuable resource to have in knowing she loves her crate if you need to secure her in it B)

Noushka would never settle in a crate so we got rid of it and have had no problems,

We decided with Falkor to get a crate just incase we needed one (better to be safe than sorry) and he absolutley hates it, Thing is Noushka loves it and goes in it of her own free will

Hi All

Well I am on the front side (dare I say the bad side) of crate training 8 week old Skye. We have the joy of her and a Shiba Inu named Bella who is 3 months old. Well Bella was raised from being a baby in a crate however Skye was not. We put her in a crate the first night and she had a fit sounded like someone was killing her... And the battle has gone on ever since. We tried the whole putting treats in a crate and luring her in. No dice. However we live in an apartment and work during the day so she has to be crated. She screams at first but it has gotten better then the first night were she serenaded us ALL night long.

So don't really have a choice but to keep the crate... Anyone else face this battle?

I noticed that Echo is about the same age as Skye so I am interested to know how things go with her

Preston

i gave up with the crate training with Odin he hated it, now i have 3 sibs we do have 2 crates which we leave open they do go in when they want to, the thing is lol Odin is the one i find asleep in there now lol i can close the door an they dont bother.

i've just been lucky so far with them loose in the house it's a chance i take every day, they may be good but one day who knows lol xxxx

Thanks for the welcome

We got in waaaaay over our heads at first lol (which was 2 only 2 weeks ago). We knew that Bella (the Shiba) needed a playmate so we went looking at kittens.... In the middle of our search for a kitten we were given the opportunity to take on a husky puppy that my friend needed to place somewhere cause she had to move immediately. Well of course Skye is beautiful and Bella needed a friend soooooo..... we suddenly had two totally different dogs and two major headaches cause they couldn't get on the same page and neither could we...lol Things are much better thank God.

My question is: We have no choice but to shove Skye in her crate...which she of course does NOT appreciate. Do we keep doing that? Or do we try something other way? Any ideas are appreciated. As well as advice and any forms of medication that you can recommend as well...lol

Preston

it's personal chose if you want her in a crate then keep doing this but if you think the dogs will be ok together out the crate when your not home then fine, she my not appreciate the crate but will get used to it.

Does she cry or any thing once in the crate ? and sorry but what sort of medication ?

@Emtplatt: Fill a kong up with peanut butter, toss it in the crate, and I bet he/she will go in after it. Also, cover the crate with a blanket. It's normal for them to cry for a good 5-10 minutes, but they'll stop after a while.

To the OP, if a regular crate isn't to your liking, due to the looks of it, there are alternatives, albeit expensive:

http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=102630126&c=

echo is doing great now decided to keep crate up but with door open so she can go in and out at her own pace, also brought yet another dog bed to place inside blink.gif (£££££ it never stops££££)blink.gif she even jumps on bed in the morning for her morning cuddles so all the time im getting them the crate can live in my bedroom forever lol.

and Emtplatt echo screamed blue murder for the first 10 minutes and finally gave up for good but we placed a blanket over the top of it to make it feel more closed in and safe good luck

Thanks for the welcome

We got in waaaaay over our heads at first lol (which was 2 only 2 weeks ago). We knew that Bella (the Shiba) needed a playmate so we went looking at kittens.... In the middle of our search for a kitten we were given the opportunity to take on a husky puppy that my friend needed to place somewhere cause she had to move immediately. Well of course Skye is beautiful and Bella needed a friend soooooo..... we suddenly had two totally different dogs and two major headaches cause they couldn't get on the same page and neither could we...lol Things are much better thank God.

My question is: We have no choice but to shove Skye in her crate...which she of course does NOT appreciate. Do we keep doing that? Or do we try something other way? Any ideas are appreciated. As well as advice and any forms of medication that you can recommend as well...lol

Preston

I wouldn't shove her in there because she will take it as a bad thing. try putting her food bowl in there and feeding her only in her crate. eventually she will associate her crate with good things like food. We also like to keep some chew toys in our crate with Pongo, but make sure it's nothing they can destroy and choke on while you're gone. What we did is put treats inside and gave a command for our pup such as "go to bed" and now he'll just walk in there when we say it. Even still we make sure to give him a treat when he does go in himself smile.gif He really enjoys this. Good luck to you! It does take time and Pongo also screamed bloody murder for about 3 weeks when we first started crating but it gets less and less as time goes on. Definitely buy some earplugs, I know I did!laugh.gif

hey Preston!!!

its not just you having this prob - i am too!!!

she hates it and doesnt quietern down. ive tried the put her in for 5mins then going back, then for 10, then for 15, she just wouldnt stop..

it was that bad that the guy that lives upstairs wanted to let me know she'd been really crying when i saw him outside coz he didnt think id been in!!!

were in a middle flat and i need it more for the toilet training coz she doesnt stop weeing.. she'll do little wee's all round the place every 5/10mins. theres no way i can keep up with taking her outside (she doesnt like going downstairs and shes getting to big for me to carry her up down that often) i want her to store her wee to do a big one!!!

i dont really have anything to suggest coz im in the same boat - oh and she chewed our wall yesturday (went rite thru the concrete) crate = good idea lol:D

echo is sleeping every night on our bed now with crate in the room still but door open just incase. she wakes up at 7 sticks her tongue in my ear and we have a cuddlebiggrin.gif she sleeps right through and doesn't even mess! but cant wait to get outside to do soo lol so all in all its great and only shutting crate door when we go out.