Hi everyone!

Me and my wife just committed to a new puppy! We will be getting him home on the 25th when he will be 2 months old.

We never had a husky before and are very exited since it has been a long coming dream for both of us! We each had dogs before, but not as adults and I can't help but to worry a little.. I've been reading all about their temperament and know pretty much what to expect.. We have jogging agendas every day in the morning and afternoon so exercise will not be a problem for Snow.. there is always someone home for most parts of the day since we are a home-office couple running an insurance representation and have a 5 year old son that is even more excited than we are!

I think I have all the basics covered, and for those worried about temperature (since I live in Brazil), our summers do get hot ( 37C ) and our winters don't get too cold ( 2C ) but we live in a very fresh medium-sized apartment in the 19th floor were it gets lots of air, and is just a half km away from a nice large park! There is also a nice varanda to lay the potty mats while he's still undergoing vaccinations and cant quite go out yet.. I bought a child's fence to keep him early on in the service area that has a door to the varanda as well, but I don't see myself crate-training him, as for the few times there will be no one home I can leave him in the varanda were there is nothing that he could hurt himself with, a nice space to walk around in, lots of shade, air... And for most parts of the day I intend on leaving him free to roam around the house and  just be with us.

What are good eating/walking/exercising schedules to have? I usually go for a 50 minute jog around 7am, and my wife usually goes around 6pm on week days, and we normally head out to the park around 7pm on the weekends with our son...

I've read that it's not good to exercise a dog after hes eaten, but he usually does his business after eating.. So I'm thinking after hes gone through all the vaccines that he'll be jogging with me in the morning, heading back home, eating, and then going out again to poo, then morning play/training, walking again after lunch and everything repeats it self 6pm...

Would that be a good routine to follow? How do you guys do it? 

I've been reading about behavior and obedience training and got interested in the clicker, but my wife didn't like it and said: "I just want a normal dog, not a trick show one" So I guess treats and toys are gonna have to do... Any tips will be very much appreciated!

Another thing... would trowing a tin-can with some coins next to him, without him realizing I threw it, when he does something he shouldn't do (for egg: chewing on the living room chair) help stop that behavior? And what are the best toys for chewing?

I attached some pictures we got from him from the breeders house, and will send more after we bring him home!

WhatsApp Image 2017-07-23 at 15.39.44.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-07-23 at 15.39.48.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-08-07 at 15.45.12.jpeg

595fd1125ef7a_HOWelcome.jpg.17d80d3d7760582601284ea6620077e1.jpg  TO  595fd11e085c4_HOBanner.thumb.png.7a5dcfe20818ede4238d77854c73138f.png

even though it sounds good the jogging part I would not reccomend when that you the rule of thumb is 5 mins per month of age when walking the running at a young age might do a lot of damage to bones and tendents ... yes I know they run on there own when playing etc but then they know when to stop.

Hi, gorgeous puppy! As above with walking and running, it's important to use the rule of thumb of 5 mins per month of age to prevent joint problems later on, so at 12 weeks, after vaccinations are completed he'll be able to walk 15 mins on each walk.
The best advice I can give you is regardless of who tells you that husky's can be let off the lead......IGNORE. Once his prey drive kicks in he will want to hunt small animals, he will ignore your commands to come back, and it isn't worth the risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Clicker training doesn't have to be used for trick training it can help with general obedience too , you'll also find doing little bits of trick training with your pup will not only help u bond with him but will also mentally tire him out which is great for when he can't be walked or when he has some excess energy to burn ,
Once he's a year old u can start introducing him to jogging but pups should only go out 5 mins per month of age per walk so when he's 12 weeks it will be 15 mins per walk , 16 weeks will be 20 mins per walk u can do a few walks a day but always follow that rule to help with his growth n not put too much pressure on his bones/joints , they shouldn't run up and down stairs to much either , I think you'll find a clicker or positive reinforcement to redirect any chewing will be better then throwing a can of coins n scaring him , this could have some negative impact on him

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

I use clicker training with Amy, its really useful when more than one person is training as voices can vary so much, a click is a very distinct sound and is the same everytime, worth reading up on it

You-ve been already told about length of walk.

Clicker is very useful because those are not just show tricks. With those "tricks"  you can easily teach Snow good behavior, eg licking instead of biting, sitting when greeting people, jumping on command, not when he wants. Believe me, you will need often brainstorming in  order to find a way to keep your your puppy/dog mentally and physically satisfied. 

I haven-t understood is your veranda on 19th floor? If yes, you will need fence up to ceiling. 

Regarding weather we have only few days in year with temp over 35, and it was really hard. You will need water bowl for Snow to cool his feet. No walking during day, only early in the morning and late at night. Never shave your  husky!

Never leave your 5 year alone with Snow. Don-t let her be overwhelmed with dog. Puppies have sharp teeth and like to bite. Accident can happen.

Please read a lot.

I am not good in English but I hope you understood what I meant.  

Enjoy!  :)     

Hey guys, thanks alot for all the input!

Yes, my varanda is on the 19th floor, but it has a guard-rail and a tight protective net up to the ceiling, so even if he tries to jump over the rails (1,3m tall closed from the floor up) the net would bounce him right back to the floor.. Its made to prevent children from falling off, so its very safe and cut resistant... The glass is 7mm thick and tempered..

About the clicker, I'm already sold, but the wife will take some talking to.. haha..

Bummer about the walking time, but no problems there (what was I thinking taking a 3-4 month old puppy for a 50 minute jogg anyway? hahaha)

>Aris, your english is great! It is also not my first language, so I'm sorry to everyone if I made a mistake or two.. I will also never shave my husky, I even read that Furminator is not recommended since it damages the inner coat so I'm going to stick with the normal brush and simple rake.

>Chelseafan, I read about the leash and I even read the saddest story about a guy losing his 7yo friend due to a squirl on the other side of the street so I'm planning on getting a 30 or 50m leash to tie around a tree at the park and just let him have some fun fetching or running "free" now and then... There are no fenced in dog areas that I'm aware here, I still have to check some places to see if they would be fit for off-leash fun, but they are not specific for dogs even though they have fencing around them (public football field and skate park)..  

BTW, do you guys believe the best dog food available here is N&D grain free? there is only one other that stands next to it, and the prices are as if there is gold in them! I'm seriously considering learning to home-cook dog food... Most people when asked recommended me Royal Canin, saying it is the BEST, but with all the BT corn and the conservatives it was the first one I scratched off my list. (These Brazilians are mostly ignorant when it comes to dog food, so I'm reading about what Europeans and Americans consider and recommend. You guys obviously have higher standards) As far as research goes I only managed to find 3 brands acceptable with a good composition, being N&D the only imported, and Guabi Natural the most affordable.. All 3 have no dyes, no conservatives, all animal protein, and similar protein/fat/carbs ratio, with added vitamins and minerals...

Another question.. Can you give me any tips on how to contain excessive howling at night if it comes to that? During the day I seriously don't think my neighbors will complain, but during nights there could be a nuisance from their part... My next door neighbor has a Calopsita I sometimes hear from the elevator hall, but no dogs on the 19th floor yet.. haha

Thats the view from my varanda >>>

WhatsApp Image 2017-05-20 at 11.36.35.jpeg

We here have only imported dog food. Royal Canin and ND also. I know more people that are buying  ND than RC, saying that quality compared to price is on ND side. Those are the most expensive food brands here. They are way too expensive for me, so I-ve found less known brand that is grain free hypoalergenic puppy food for reasonable price. I am very satisfied. Don-t buy cheap low quality food, at least when Snow is growing. 

Aris is not howling yet. Honestly he is more like talking to us during the day when he wants/doesn-t want something. :rofl:He sleeps in hallway between rooms and he sleeps whole night. 

Have you considered a raw diet? It's not for everyone but my two are fed mostly raw, they had kibble as young pups and then I changed to raw, I don't have 'diarrhoea ' issues with them at all.
All dogs will howl if left on their own for too long, I'm with my two at home so it's not an issue for us, I can now leave mine for 4 hours but it's taken nearly a year to get to leaving them on their own for that long, husky's like to be with/around you.

Archived