Housetraining!

TeamYuki

Hi!

I'm new to the forum and am so happy to find this place that's solely for huskies! Thank you!

I have a million questions, but this one will do for now: My wife and I just got a new husky about a month ago, she's 12 weeks old as of this post and we've been making some really great strides with her for housetraining--except for one room. My wife is a husky expert and I value all of her wisdom for dog owning. But I also like other opinions as well, which is why I'm on here asking you all for assistance.

She continues to go pee in this one room and I'm unsure how to curb it. We have hardwood floors with the exception of this one room, which has a rug on it. We think that she thinks the carpet is grass and is therefore, okay to use it as a bathroom. Every time she has an accident on it, we use pet spray and cleaner to get rid of the enzyme smell on it.  Also, I follow her into that room every time because I'm awaiting for her to use it as a bathroom. When I see her squat, I immediately pick her up and bring her outside to finish (which is how we housetrained for all the other rooms which appears to have worked). We don't scold or punish, we just say "NO!" which stops her mid stream and that's all. 

My question is, what else should we be doing to help curb or stop this particular room from being a bathroom to her? Also, we have a finished basement with carpeting that she also has accidents on. We barely bring her down there, but when we do, she always has an accident down there too. How can we teach her that anywhere inside is not a bathroom?

thank you!

I would completely block access off to those areas for the time being until she's fully trained or have her on a training lead so u can remove her quickly n lead her straight outside , a command when u go outside n she pees might help too

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

2nd vote for limiting access to those areas where she has accidents.   A pet spray for the urine smell might not get it all out for their sensitive noses.   However scrubbing the area with a strong washing powder solution does I've found.

the rug is removable, it's just a throw rug. I can try moving that for now. 

We have already been blocking access to that room since we got her because it wasn't puppy proof. But since then, she's become better at grabbing things she shouldn't (besides hands, but that's another story), so we wanted to try keeping the door open since we like the door open to that room anyway. But it appears that keeping her from getting in there is the best way to go?

I would vote for restricting access for now too. Unless it's an emergency, They tend to go in rooms not often frequented or at least they do in this household. There were a couple of favourite rooms to go to the toilet in and we kept them out until they were older and it didn't really happen again.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I've not experienced this with my two but maybe a safety gate would work, I have one at my kitchen door to restrict access to upstairs. When the gate is open they won't go through it unless I say they can.
She can still smell her urine on the rug and she will go to the same spot.

I've not experienced this with my two but maybe a safety gate would work, I have one at my kitchen door to restrict access to upstairs. When the gate is open they won't go through it unless I say they can.
She can still smell her urine on the rug and she will go to the same spot.

I second a gate , but get a dog one not a baby one my girl learnt how to open the baby gate lol

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

Definitely a dog gate if that's your plan. Bear just jumped over the child one like it wasn't even there. She probably could scale the dog one tbh but for whatever reason she's never attempted it. Ice isn't a jumper believe it or not, don't think it's occurred to him yet that he can.

Archived