Out of character

blueboy

Hi I have a 12 month old male Siberian husky up until this weeks he's been the perfect dog he's never chewed anything, walks well off the lead for husky standards and he's been good when it comes to eating his food. But this week it's all changed first he became fussy with his food not eating his dry kibble but I got a bit of success adding a tin of sardines to it for a couple of days but he's even gone off that now. He also managed to chew half of our living room carpet up while the Mrs left him alone for 15 minutes while she done the school run. Then last night not even 1/4 of the way through his walk he just turned around and walked back towards home he didn't run off but he wouldn't come up and just walked back the way he had come from. When I finally caught up with him he pulled on the lead like crazy to get home soon as we was home he just went and hid in the kitchen he didn't even drink his water. I know it's been hot but I have only been walking him very early in the morning and very late at night when it's cooler. He is also going through his first moult at the moment so hopefully it's just a combination of the heat and his moulting. But if anyone could shed any light on things that would be great 1e0bd8eac2e1e210337dbcd2eebc56bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

The heat can put them off their food a bit, it does me too tbh.
Ours haven't been walked at all over the last couple of days as even in the late evening it's still been way too hot for them. I have one who may cope with it but the others wouldn't stand a chance. Bear will just lay down in the nearest patch of long grass she can find and refuse to move if she's had enough, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Hi, is he happy in himself other than what you've said? Both of mine won't eat kibble, I feed mostly raw, but they can get bored with the same food, one of mine really likes chicken with tinned or raw salmon but with this heat he's not eating as much, I let him decide, he won't starve himself. Odd how he's chewing the carpet now, I went through this when they were much younger, maybe put a safety gate up and restrict access to rooms until he stops chewing. Although my two don't destroy anything in the house now if I go out to town for an hour I close the door to the front room and I leave the back door open for them so they can come into the kitchen if they want to and I have a safety gate at the kitchen door to restrict access to the upstairs.
I never let them off lead on a walk, only in fenced, safe areas, things can change in a second and the consequences can be dire.
The hot weather definitely has an effect on my two, they get bored when it's too hot to walk, we're playing in the garden a lot at the moment as I have no sun after 1.
Last night my two couldn't settle at all, it was too warm.
He's lovely, by the way!

Thanks for the advise it's reassuring to hear that it's partly to do with the weather. He seems happy in himself although maybe a little lethargic but no more than the rest of us in this heat. I'll keep you all posted on how he changes and anyone advise from anyone would be great thanks

well walking addvice i can give is get up at 5am and walk him then and wait until its getting dark at night 10 0r 11 pm

Paving slabs gravel tarmac roads can still be hot to the touch at 7pm try it walk with bare feet or put your hand on the ground

if you can walk on grass or in woodlands where it will be cooler

also its that time of year so bitches are coming in season so that can make some males  go off thier food added to the heat in england it all adds up to things that will make huskys and malamutes grump and off colour

Archived