Breeding

kiarahart

Hi everyone!

I'm a first time husky owner an I have a 10 month old bitch Siberian Husky.

I've never bred a dog before and I was just wondering if any of you have any advice or can answer a few questions?

When is best to breed? How do you care for/what are the special requirements for a pregnant husky? How much does it usually cost on average? Do I need to get Kiara (my husky) any particular shots or medicated food etc?

Any help/contributions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Chloe :)

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

You'd need her to be hip and eye scored and then depending on the scores that will ultimately decide on if u should breed her , the lower the score the better , as Huskies can be prone to hip displaysia (probably not spelt right) she shouldn't be bred till she's had at least 4 seasons and is 2 years old minimum
The stud dog will also need to be scored too

Both should be kennel club registered too , see if u can find out as much as possible about the dogs lineage and any health issues in the line if any

Make sure u also have a lot of savings for emergencies such as a c-section or middle of the night vet help
The stud dog owner does not have to help with vet fees

This might help too http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder2.html

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

Hi are you going to draw up a contract so when people give up on their husky after a year or even a few weeks they bring the dog back to you? There's enough huskies in rescues and they are one of the RSPCA's top 3 in terms of length of time it takes to rehome them (American Bulldogs take the longest, then Staffies, then Huskies)

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

as said get a contract as some rescue places not being up on the breed end up putting huskys and malamutes to sleep for being agressive, becuase these breeds do not do well in rescue kennels and what we see as normal behaviour they see as aggression and problems

also there is an old saying ..... wisemen buy animals from the fools that breed them.

It is a lovely idea to think of breeding your dog because Husky's are an amazing breed, but please think of the bigger picture. Please don't take this the wrong way, there are so many Husky's that need rehoming because they are beautiful as pups and people want them without necessarily doing the full research on what this breed requires.
I have 2 beautiful boys and I'm not breeding them, as much as I like the idea of it, there's just to many that people give up on.
If you want to breed, as is your right, then please vet the prospective owners and as above really.

Amy was a rescue, we saw her when she came in and had to wait a week before bringing her home, even tho she was owner surrender! She hated kennel life, cooped up in a small space and only walked by volunteers as and when! She was hyper and wired when we finally bought her home
Please think long and hard before bringing more of these amazing dogs into the world, there are so many unwanted ones needing loving homes

I totally agree with the above. I got Astro as a pup, but I have since been very involved in a local rescue and it's opened my eyes to just how many unwanted animals there are. When I got Koda as a rescue I was registered with 4 different husky only based rescues, and the amount of updates I got every week about new dogs they had was shocking. There's also a pet selling app that I look at every now and again, it appalls me how many puppies get sold on at a young age for the most pathetic excuses.
Astro was in a litter of 6, out of those 6 3 were sold on and we have no idea where they are. We think they've been sold on again because we haven't been able to track them down. Dogs being passed from home to home causes massive behavioural issues. People just think huskies are pretty to look at and don't realise just how much hard work they are.
I follow someone on Instagram who had a litter of husky puppies. He drew up contracts for the people who took the pups on, he turned down many peoples applications and carried out vigorous home checks. In my opinion I think that's what every breeder should do. Unfortunately one bad owner slipped through the net and he became concerned when they stopped contacting him with updates, so he went round to the house and found the dog in a sorry state, he seized the dog straight away because they had broken their contract. I think that's the level of commitment all breeders need to have.
Please consider this and what's been said above before you go ahead and breed. And if you do, make sure you vet any potential owners properly, give them a contract, make sure they understand the breed fully, and don't be afraid to turn people down. And make sure you don't let the pups go before 8 weeks, no matter how much hard work it is

I totally agree with the above. I got Astro as a pup, but I have since been very involved in a local rescue and it's opened my eyes to just how many unwanted animals there are. When I got Koda as a rescue I was registered with 4 different husky only based rescues, and the amount of updates I got every week about new dogs they had was shocking. There's also a pet selling app that I look at every now and again, it appalls me how many puppies get sold on at a young age for the most pathetic excuses.
Astro was in a litter of 6, out of those 6 3 were sold on and we have no idea where they are. We think they've been sold on again because we haven't been able to track them down. Dogs being passed from home to home causes massive behavioural issues. People just think huskies are pretty to look at and don't realise just how much hard work they are.
I follow someone on Instagram who had a litter of husky puppies. He drew up contracts for the people who took the pups on, he turned down many peoples applications and carried out vigorous home checks. In my opinion I think that's what every breeder should do. Unfortunately one bad owner slipped through the net and he became concerned when they stopped contacting him with updates, so he went round to the house and found the dog in a sorry state, he seized the dog straight away because they had broken their contract. I think that's the level of commitment all breeders need to have.
Please consider this and what's been said above before you go ahead and breed. And if you do, make sure you vet any potential owners properly, give them a contract, make sure they understand the breed fully, and don't be afraid to turn people down. And make sure you don't let the pups go before 8 weeks, no matter how much hard work it is

That's terrible , Skyla was homed before we got her and her 'owners' were breaching their contract by trying to flip her and make money on her , luckily the breeder found out n got her back which is how we ended up with her , sadly not everyone is trustworthy even if they seem to be

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

Archived