Weight, Food, Poo & Farts

DanUK

As the title suggest this post could get bloated and smelly like me and Mowgli. 

I have only had Mowgli 9 weeks and from day one he has been a fussy eater. The previous owner feed him random cooked meets in large amounts and when I got him he weighed 36KG. Today he is 32! (Husky / Malamute X) 

I walk him an hour in the morning, 15-35min at lunch and an hour in the evening plus he is at work all day with me during the week. (Sleeping most the time :) )

He is my first dog and I just wont to make sure i am doing right by him.

I am now feeding him wolfworthy dry only which is very high protein and am trying to get the amounts right. He is on 360g a day fed over two meals. I am considering dropping this a little as his stools are too soft. I am after some feedback from other owners on his weight and appearance as well as food amounts in grams. Oh he also farts a lot and it STINKS clears the room, settles and then he does it again! :smack:

IMG_2164.thumb.JPG.4416ec695a3686b4c6bf2d7099815d58.JPGIMG_2165.thumb.JPG.fbd3a6505ca19d83ab21724ceebc8bca.JPGIMG_2162.thumb.JPG.7dda76d8d6460d72f043908a8d677e34.JPGIMG_2163.thumb.JPG.b23516c37bedc3adcf06dfc38a1eeccf.JPGIMG_2174.thumb.JPG.7c2536fdf35b16e9af7325cc69b2e6cc.JPGIMG_2168.thumb.JPG.646a119e6cc22ca8ec31515e21c05e39.JPGIMG_2172.thumb.JPG.d97f22464576e57d77af7fcdae51df9a.JPGIMG_2177.thumb.JPG.96612355197173f720632db7ea52839b.JPG

So My question are:

1: Is the exersise too much causing weight loss?

2: Does he look underweight?

3: Am I feeding him enough or to much?

4: Farting way to much ?

5: Am I a paranoid new dog owner which read too much on the internet?

I have taken him to the vets and they gave him a MOT and said he was fine but I was not 100% confident in them as they didn't really know the breed.

I have gone through 20 pages in the section of the forum before i decided to post so please be nice.....

His weight to me looks fine, huskies are supposed to be lean.  Many people have told me that Nikko looks too thin, but he is right on target. 

The amount of food sounds about right, maybe even a little less than normal.  It may be the type of food that is causing soft poo and his smelly farts.  Is it a grain free formula?  You can always try dogfoodadvisor.com to check out other brands.  I went through a few different brands until i found one that worked well, and I use Taste of the Wild.  if I remember correctly mine would have issues with high protein foods, so maybe that could be the issue.

Hi Jay, Thanks for your reply. Im glad someone has confirmed he looks ok. At first I thought I was under feeding him but his stools got very bad when he was eating around 400g per day. The food is grain free and very high quality. The site you recommended does not list it. Info can be found here wolfworthy.co.uk. I was thinking the food may be the cause of his farting but I want to persist with this food as I believe the contents is good and balanced. I am going to monitor he weight, poo and farts for a week or so and see what happens.

Thanks!

he looks fine to me...food but even mire treats are the main cause of farts...

overfeed can cause runny poo so as long as you do not have that ... mine are about 30 kgs each and get 145 grams of pressed protein pellets a day and in the morning they get half a cup of yoghurt as well...

doubt that the excersise is causing weight loss maybe fat is being turned into mussle

Hi Jack, Thanks for your reply. Hearing the amount you feed makes me feel happier. I have notice the more I feed the worst his poo is. Can get runny :) I think you right about the treats causing farts. I use Natures Menu Beef and Chicken Treats and this could be the cause.

they could indeed be that cause...I know that when mine have dried tribe their farts are out of this world...they have there own bio gas producer...

2 minutes ago, robke said:

they could indeed be that cause...I know that when mine have dried tribe their farts are out of this world...they have there own bio gas producer...

Tell me about it. I thought I was bad after a curry but this is just something else. Ill change his treats to something slightly more bland and boring for my sake :) 

Hi I think he looks fine :) I feed Astro Canagan and he has solid stools on that, but every dog is different!

Astro does mini farts as he's running down the stairs sometimes, a trump a step! Makes me laugh!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Thanks everyone for your comments and thoughts.

Due to me being paranoid with recent weight loss of my boy I invested in a doggy scales to monitor him. I am reducing his food for a while and will monitor his weight and closely. From everything I have read I have either been over feeding him or his food does not agree with him. I have changed his food to many times in a short period so am going to persist for a month and hope I find a nice balance of food, weight and pooooo.

IMG_2201.JPG

IMG_2202.JPG

Hi
Amys on CSJ adult champ, shes gained nearly 2kg in the month we've had her, she gets 350g split into 2 feeds and loves it ( along with lots of training treats of cooked liver and homemade sardine biscuits)
If you email the company with all your dogs details and concerns they get a nutritionalist to look at it and email back! They do lots of different foods and supplements, treats too and the champ is @ £12-14 per 15kg so Amys works out at @ 40 pence per day! She does gas us out with the occasion trump but I think thats normal 🤢🤢

On 20/03/2017 at 9:52 PM, Rachael_Astro said:

Hi I think he looks fine :) I feed Astro Canagan and he has solid stools on that, but every dog is different!

Astro does mini farts as he's running down the stairs sometimes, a trump a step! Makes me laugh!

Hi Rachael, 

My Vet has recommended Canagan and after a little research it seems a very good quality food. Out of interest, How much to you feed Astro and what's he weigh?

Thanks

Dan

Hi Rachael, 

My Vet has recommended Canagan and after a little research it seems a very good quality food. Out of interest, How much to you feed Astro and what's he weigh?
Thanks
Dan

Aww brilliant! I feed Astro 220g a day and I think he's about 26kg [emoji4]

Marley and also Lunar (a Utonagan) have a problem with some of the treats hubby buys them  -  they contain wheat  -   I buy chicken breast, lambs liver and lungs,  - dehydrate it into treats for them  -   they love them and no longer fill the air with their own kind of fragrance - has the added advantage of me knowing exactly what is in the treat  i.e. nothing but meat.

You obviously love your dog to bits and think nothing of spending good money on him  -  have you thought of investing in a mid-range dehydrator  (around £50) then making their own treats - you know the treats are healthy, with no preservatives or additives, nothing to upset a delicate stomach  -  and will save you money on overly priced commercial treats.

P1010404 (Copy).JPG

P1010403 (Copy).JPG

P1010401 (Copy).JPG

P1010405 (Copy).JPG

P1010407 (Copy).JPG

The one I have is an Andrew James one - cost around £50  -   I would love an excalibur - but cannot afford one.    Once the treats are dehydrated  (you'll know because they will snap-break and not bend) I usually put them in a sealable plastic bag or plastic tub and they last easily for three months - although the dogs usually go through a batch in around 2 months.   For longer term storage I use an airtight mason jar and kept away from the light - they should keep around 12 months or longer - but the dogs won't let you store them for that long believe me.

A decent dehydrator will take around 30-35 hours to dehydrate 5 trays of meat - obviously depending on how thinly you slice the meat to start with,  and costs 2p per hour to run.

Just now, Jo said:

I've thought about a dehydrator - os it a smelly job, only ask as I work from home and a smelly house not good atmosphere for a relaxing facial!!emoji23.png

It really does depend on what you are dehydrating   -   for instance I would not consider trying to dehydrate fish - although I know others who do  -   the meat does smell a bit, - we are vegetarians so really notice the smell of meat  -  but I keep the dehydrator in the spare bedroom with the door shut  -  no problem then with smells when we go to bed  -  even the dogs and cats are not trying to get into the spare room overnight.

I dehydrate vegetables/fruit etc.   I give the neighbours a couple of eggs every week from my girls (hens), and every year they give me all the cooking apples off their two trees    -  I dehydrate the apples and freeze them - then just rehydrate them throughout the year for apple pies etc.    One main advantage of dehydration and vacuum-sealing them is that it totally eliminates freezer burn.    It is not necessary to keep the apples in the freezer once they have been dehydrated and vacuum packed  -  I just prefer to do so.

Archived