My new husky pup owner in need of help

TayLee2K17

My new husky pup about 3 Months old is having a problem with getting the hint that he can't be chewing on all my clothes and shoe. I've tried positive reinforcement and negative reinforcement but nothing is working.

b59523160de9d3b83250bfe81a2e1565.jpg

me personally would start training all over again, put stuff away that you do not want him to chew on...and use time out in the hallway or any other room (not a crate) once he starts chewing and after 30 secs bring him back out and give him a toy or something to play with...

:ditto:

It will take a while to come together but keep using the one method over and over again. Eventually it sinks in.
Some people have used the bitter taste spray on some items in the house. I think I tried it on the carpet but she just started chewing other areas instead. Can't spray the whole thing! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

She is very very cute.       All puppies chew -   they are teething  -  but the good news is that they grow out of it.    Try offering her a frozen carrot as this will cool down her inflamed gums.   As others have said put away anything you do not want chewed on.    Especially electrical wires,  my pup twice ate through the vacuum wire  -  luckily it was not plugged in at the time!    Even now (he is 15 months old) I automatically unplug my computer and hide the wires if I am going to be out of the room for more than 5 minutes, - he no longer chews on everything - but I am not taking the risk.     As others on here will attest  -  he has also eaten the arm off one of my armchairs - and given me a matching arm off my sofa.    

Lots of chew toys to play with will help  -  forget the negative reinforcement  -  when Marley chewed on my furniture I blamed myself, not him, for not being smart enough to think about putting it out of his reach (closing the lounge door) -  he didn't know that what he chewed probably cost me the better part of a month's wage to buy.    Give her other things to chew on, keep her occupied  (a bored puppy finds something to keep herself occupied with - and its usually expensive).  :o

Above all else - give her time,  she is a baby and like a baby her main way of discovering the world is through her mouth - which is going to be sore for a few months.

Your patience and kindness now will be rewarded a thousandfold with all the love, laughter and companionship to come for the next 15 or so years with one of the most intelligent (and challenging) dog breeds on the planet.

My two would chew on anything they could get their teeth into in the beginning, it's natural for them, like a teething baby does. It takes patience but give them an alternative, they soon learn what's out of bounds, never scold them as chewing is normal, just not household items. I gave them frozen carrots or a kong with a little peanut butter and froze it, this will keep them occupied. A bored husky is a destructive husky, distraction and lots of praise works with my two, they are eager to learn, play games with chew toys. I've been doing this for the last 10 months and I've had no damage inside the house, the garden is a different matter! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Archived