Climbing the wall

Ryno n Gypsy

Well, as I am sure is common, I have spent some time reading on this forum and gotten lots of good ideas over the last few years. I finally decided to join because I have a problem. My 3 year old Husky has decided that she should get to play with the deer that we sometimes have on the slope behind our house. In the pic, you can see that the fence is about 7 feet where she is. She ran up the wall and used her front paws to pull herself over. I caught her just as she perched on top.

When we bought the house, it had a 4 1/2 foot wall. That lasted about a year. The 7 foot one has lasted another 2. I can't raise the wall any higher, due to city codes. She was raised by a calm, GSD and they play all the time. I know she would never have tried to climb the wall had there not been 4 deer back there.
Anyway, I am looking for suggestions. I won't put her on a tether, and would like to avoid the crate (really not fair to the GSD).

nishka_wall.jpg

that is indeed a problem...could you not have a overhang into the garden of some wire of chicken fence so when she does jump up she would hit her head

something like this  overhang.JPG

Over hang is the way to go as Rob said you could also try puting stuff infront of the wall so she can not get a run up at it

needs to be soft and a couple feet out from the bottom of the wall some bushes or somethng she can not use as a launching pad

watch the movie i posted and you will see in slow motion how dogs jump walls, the over hang will stop her, you can try a few poles and run a line between them thick string will do. to see if making her take off from further out causes her to fail to get over the wall

plays in windows media player or vcl player

wallclimb.mkv

right now she will as you can see in the movie run up to the wall, when she is about a dog lenght out from the wal jump up hit the wall just below the top and pull her self over,

so using some plant canes run a lengtn of visable laundry line type rope/cord/string would do for a test at her chest hieght at a dog length out from the base of the wall, then about 18 inches out from that another line and a 3rd line out again forcing her to have to jump over the string and try and get over from a standing jump or jump from further back so she i hate to say will pancake into the wall and be unable to get over

Last talk to local animal control and find out if they have any addvice on how to keep the deer away from the back of your yard, they may have a spray or something, if you can keep the deer out of sight she probably will not be as eager to jump the wall

Archived