Late night playtime?

Husky Mad

Hi guys,

Hope your well, i wanted to check to see what you guys do or have done with little pups during the night. Saber sometimes wakes up around 2/3 in the morning after being put to sleep around 11/12. It's normally to be let outside to pee/poo and when he's done he wants to play (during the day whenever he wakes up i constantly play with him for 30 mins to tire him out so he goes back to sleep again). But should i be playing with him this late or should i just put him back in the crate and let him howl and cry till he gives up. My mum and brother wake up at 5am for work, so this is when he gets his morning feed and playtime.

But if i put him back in his crate without playing he goes beserk, should i just ignore it?.

hello, ive treated Mallie like u would a toddler, i keep her awake all eve from 6pm so she sleeps thru, she gets up for the toilet in the nite without waking us and goes on a mat in the hallway. she then comes back 2 sleep and wakes with us at 7am.. its works well for us atm. the crate hasnt worked with her, no mater what we try she hates it and doesnt settle.. so we arnt bothering now :rolleyes:

she did try to play at 3am when i got up to go loo, but i took no notice let her bring her toys in and heard no more

Good advise Clare, Yep I did this with my furbaby too, tried to keep her awake as much as puppily possible during the day, playing with her, walking her and training her and she soon learned to sleep through the night, I deffinalty wouldnt encorage playtime in the middle of the night or your pup will get used to it and not understand when your too tired! Earplugs are always a good idea if your pup is keeping you awake! LOL! biggrin.gif

I would not expect a puppy to be able to go through the night without waking up for a potty break. I would also make sure that when a puppy needs to go, they let me know, so I can take the puppy out to go potty. My experience has been it's at about the sixth to seventh month before they go through the night. I also would not play in the wee hours. If the pup howls in the crate, and you give in, they will be harder to break of that habit. If you let the pup howl, and ignore it, soon they will learn that it's not going to do them any good to howl, and they should go back to sleep.

3am is deff NOT playtime lol Be consistent, at such a young age they can't hold it for that long throughout the night so they will have to go pee, this doesnt mean it's play time though as you said.

Ignore the bouncy behaviour and in time the penny will drop that it's still bed time :)

Good advise Clare, Yep I did this with my furbaby too, tried to keep her awake as much as puppily possible during the day, playing with her, walking her and training her and she soon learned to sleep through the night, I deffinalty wouldnt encorage playtime in the middle of the night or your pup will get used to it and not understand when your too tired! Earplugs are always a good idea if your pup is keeping you awake! LOL! biggrin.gif

I agree. A good set of earplugs will help lol. This is what we did with Pongo. We would get up, let him out and say "bedtime", put him back in the crate. He would cry for about 20 min after this, but he would settle down eventually. Eventually they will get used to this and stop crying altogether. It took Pongo about 3 months total to completely stop crying at all at night. It's kind of like a human baby, if you baby them too much then they will soon catch on and just cry to be let out and played with, so sometimes it's best not to give in. Now we tell Pongo "bedtime" and he walks right into his crate and lays down smile.gif They will learn in time. The first couple of months were very sleep-deprived.

We got Mishka Jan 16th. We let her sleep in bed w us and the other dogs until she, on night 2, learned to jump off the bed. We put her in her crate and she howled and howled. We ended up moving the crate into the car in the garage so we couldn't hear her. After 2 nights of this we tried the bed again. She now sleeps through the night at the end of the bed w the other dogs and does not jump off. In the morning when she hears the alarm go off she licks us until we get up and let her out. We don't give her any water after 7 and her last potty break is at 10.

Nanook is 12-weeks old, and I keep him up until 11p every night. Actually, he keeps himself up just fine. He sleeps in the bed with me and sleeps all night until 6:30am, when he wakes me up to let him out. He's never pee'd on the bed a single time.

I let him sleep on the bed because he's in his kennel during the day while I'm at work, and don't won't him locked up in there too much (it's already too much imo).