Allergies

Stormy

I don't bath my two but wipe off wet mud with a cloth and rinse, let them dry then brush through.

I have used my Amway LOC for years on my Westies - one with horrendous skin issues and eventually weaned her down from daily to once weekly Atopica which I really disliked.

She was allergic to spring grass. The Atopica did work - I just hated what it could cause - tumours or liver failure (she developed a liver tumour aged 12...pts Feb 28 2014 when it started bleeding after diagnosis 3+ months later..)

The LOC is a gentle 'liquid organic cleaner' which I use as a multi purpose cleaner in the home on floors and washable surfaces. Nontoxic even if drunk accidently and even as standby as a shower/bath/hair wash with coconut oil in it...silky soft Westies I had too!

I use all the environmentally sensitive products in the home and on my boat when on the water ways - knowing I'm being safe.

Maybe I could send some over? Products are online - to check out with all ingredients listed on the website www.amway.co.uk...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jase

I gather dogs don't have an enzyme to break down/digest lactose.

I do give mine a tbspn only of Kefir which I know is one of the best (and so cheap from my Polish delicatessen). Is this OK?

Otherwise what probiotic can you recommend?

I feed mine 2.5 small mugs of dry food with half a small dog carton of wet food twice daily. I chuck on the yoghurt once every week and they also get on different days either cut carrot, broccoli, cooked beans, spuds or sweet potato.

Occasionally raw meat - beef or chicken and fish (deboned) and tuna in oil, and egg. Also cooked rice. Not huge amounts but as additional variant to make food interesting. They also love apple, pear, and some banana! Again not a whole one but maybe half each and I tend now to mostly avoid giving them the core.

I brush their teeth twice a week too.

The beneficial bacteria in Kefir supposedly eats the lactose in the milk essential making the yoghurt like drink lactose free. We always make it up in my house for the humans, as it is very popular in Russia where my wife is from. I imagine it to be vastly superior to yoghurt. I haven't fed it to Ronin as I use dog probiotics. Protexin is what I use but I don't know what is available in the UK. I know there is a Protexin brand in the UK but I am not sure if it is the same??

I am now suggesting a good probiotic made specifically for dogs. It is believed that most of the probiotics in human stuff doesn't survive the dogs GI tract. However I imagine that a dog fed kibble will not have as acidic a digestive system as a dog fed prey model raw so some should survive. If you can't get a good dog one then search for a multi-strain human one. 

You don't need to debone fish, I feed raw and whole with scales on, I even feed the guts in if it is around a 20cm fish. Spuds are from the nightshade family and I wouldn't feed them, sweet potato is from a completely different family and are fine.

I don't bath my two but wipe off wet mud with a cloth and rinse, let them dry then brush through.

I have used my Amway LOC for years on my Westies - one with horrendous skin issues and eventually weaned her down from daily to once weekly Atopica which I really disliked.

She was allergic to spring grass. The Atopica did work - I just hated what it could cause - tumours or liver failure (she developed a liver tumour aged 12...pts Feb 28 2014 when it started bleeding after diagnosis 3+ months later..)

The LOC is a gentle 'liquid organic cleaner' which I use as a multi purpose cleaner in the home on floors and washable surfaces. Nontoxic even if drunk accidently and even as standby as a shower/bath/hair wash with coconut oil in it...silky soft Westies I had too!

I use all the environmentally sensitive products in the home and on my boat when on the water ways - knowing I'm being safe.

Maybe I could send some over? Products are online - to check out with all ingredients listed on the website www.amway.co.uk...

Thank you for the offer of sending some LOC over :) but Amway stuff is available here, but I am really happy with Calendula and the medicinal properties it contains. Any cleaner, LOC included is still going to take away oils from the skin...if it didn't then it simply wouldn't be a cleaner, regardless of how gentle and natural it is, something has to break down dirt and oils. It may indeed be great if your dogs roll in something stinky. Enzymatic cleaners such as orange or lemon are going to clean with fermented and acidic citrus.

The basis for all of my natural health, diet and remedies is to give the dog the ability to self regulate. The fact that huskies are such clean and non smelly dogs gives up such an advantage by not having to bath often.  

Another thing to remember is that 'natural' does not always mean safe. There are numerous natural remedies that are highly toxic to us and dogs, e.g. Undiluted essential oils are very dangerous to dogs, Tea Tree oil is an excellent antiseptic but can cause organ failure to dogs if applied undiluted.

Edited by Jase

- Calendula tea - cheers - I will remember that & get some.

- Also - I very much appreciate the comments on raw food incl spuds!

- Do you recommend fish at 20 cm only or is bigger/smaller not?

I only ever put Chester in the bath when he was a pup and even then at/up to seven months ease he was huge!

Fortunately even after Eski's arrival with wet eczema on her head by her right ear, neither have had to be bathed.

If they are wet I'll swab off outer layer with a rubber blade from a car window wiper with ice scraper on the other side (thought of the ones they use on horses in a sweat ight be good to have around) as husky coats are pretty impermeable to water anyway!

Then I'll throw a towel over and 'press dry' rather than rub.

Both have learnt to accept a hair drier.

If it's just a bit muddy I let it dry then brush off gently.

I sometimes use one of my wide tooth hairbrushes (for long hair) which is great - they enjoy it! As it doesn't 'catch' so much on mud knots)

- The LOC was better than the Malaseb even if it was medicinal for my Westies skin and it had to be left on for ten minutes. I did this because it was antibacterial but, and it seeed to help her condition but really stripped the oils leaving her hair very dry.

I rang HQ UK at Amway and they assured me LOC was gentle enough on dogs - their testing is done on volunteer humans however their laboratory ensured no chemicals or ingredients in this would affect any (unless sensitive to coconut oil!) and pretty much all their products were safe to human's & pets and the environment - containing no phosphates.

I am an ABO (Amway business owner) however buy now only for myself and a dozen friends/customers.

There was an interesting article on probiotics which were tested on pigs to see if they survived the stomach - Actimel, which we use for our dogs, didn't fare too well, though better than most! Sadly, the effective one is rather expensive but if push came to shove I'd buy that for our dogs! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/11091887/Probiotics-how-each-fared-and-what-they-contain.html

- Calendula tea - cheers - I will remember that & get some.

- Also - I very much appreciate the comments on raw food incl spuds!

- Do you recommend fish at 20 cm only or is bigger/smaller not?

I only ever put Chester in the bath when he was a pup and even at seven months that was it because he is huge!

Fortunately even after Eski's arrival with wet eczema on her head by her right ear neither have had to be bathed. If they are wet I'll swab off outer layer with a rubber blade from a car window wiper with ice scraper on the other side (thought of the ones they use on horses in a sweat) as husky coats are pretty impermeable to water anyway! Then I'll throw a towel over and 'press dry' rather than rub. Both have learnt to accept a hair drier.

If it's just a bit muddy I let it dry thrn brush off gently. I use one of my wide tooth hairbrushes (for long hair) which is great - they enjoy it!)

- The LOC was better than the Malaseb even if medicinal for my Westies skin and it had to be left on for ten minutes. I did this because it was antibacterial but, it really stripped the oils leaving her hair very dry. I rang HQ at Away and the assured me LOC was gentle enough on dogs - their testing is done on volunteer humans however their laboratory ensured no chemicals or ingredients in this and pretty much all their products were safe to u man's pets and the environment containing no phosphates.

Funny that you should mention the fish size as I have just been driving around to find some between 20 - 30cm (300 - 350ish grams) I prefer whole fish of this size as it is not only easy to serve as a complete meal, but smaller fish have little to no traceable heavy metals like mercury. If you feed once a day then you might want to look for a fish around 650g on average. The sardines I feed are smaller and as part of brekky.

Fish should be frozen for 2 weeks before feeding. Ronin prefers them frozen to thawed LOL. Most fish is very good, the skins contain a heap of nutrients and even vitamin D, which is great for ageing dogs - dogs don't produce or absorb Vit D from sunlight like we do.

Agreed, Malaseb is very very harsh and really a last resort in my opinion. You just need to remember that anything we put on our dogs skin will be absorbed into the bloodstream - which is why I love Calendula. Mind you if your dog has an allergy to marigolds or daisies then don't use calendula (that would be very rare though) 

Check LOC for Sulphates as these are in most shampoos and can dry skin.

There was an interesting article on probiotics which were tested on pigs to see if they survived the stomach - Actimel, which we use for our dogs, didn't fare too well, though better than most! Sadly, the effective one is rather expensive but if push came to shove I'd buy that for our dogs! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/11091887/Probiotics-how-each-fared-and-what-they-contain.html

I reckon I'll research Kefir more, for dogs too....it was the best over all in a writeup in a recent women's heath mag as having ten trillion more good bugs than anything else out there.

Nice one Mark  :) Yeah, unfortunately the good ones are expensive  :( and the environment in a dogs stomach is very harsh so most human ones don't survive long enough to be of benefit. I think if you are using medicinally then you need to get something that specifically targets the environment in which they need to live and colonise. As I mentioned earlier there is even doubt that the probiotics in raw green tripe will survive as they come from the stomach of herbivores. 

It is worth looking into pre-biotcs as well and this helps create an environment for the probiotics to colonise in  :)

There seems to be a big push these days for Soil Derived Probiotics as being excellent... as yet I have no experience with these.

I reckon I'll research Kefir more, for dogs too....it was the best over all in a writeup in a recent women's heath mag as having ten trillion more good bugs than anything else out there.

Kefir is excellent for humans without a doubt, I am unsure of the survivability in a dogs GI tract, however I do know of people using for their dogs, whether they are aware of the benefits of different strains or survivability or whether it is just a placebo effect is unknown to me  ;)  

Kefir is real cheap 500 ml 49p. 1L is 90p of real fruit flavoured equivalent.

We buy the kefir granules and make our own, this way you know exactly what is in it  :) It's super easy to make. I drink it the Russian way, just straight, unflavoured with a sprinkle of sea salt on top - yummy  :up:

I'll have to ask if my Polish shop has these. I have a yoghurt maker.

You don't need a yoghurt maker or anything special, you just add the grains to room temperature milk and leave for around 7 days, when you get near the bottom of the bottle/jar, you top up with more room temperature milk and it will re-ferment - you can do this around 5 times and then start afresh  :) Most health food stores sell the grains, and I am sure it will be at your Polish shop.