GRRR!!! i said ON BY!!! (help please!)

ok.... HOW on earth do you teach on by properly????

kira's brilliant if we're on pavement or dirt (we go for a couple of minutes on pavement to get home) but if we're on grass she CONSTANTLY has her nose down.... she'll listen about 30% of the time, and is great if she's got someone to run after, but obviously i cant have someone run around a track at a rally....

so... can anyone help me teach it properly??

please? lol

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just kept saying ''on by'' very firmly to kavik when on walks & he now knows what i mean & will keep walking when a dog is in his eyeshot, sisko/ mishka are getting the hang of what it means now too. when running them in harness kavik/ mishka will keep going past things they are eyeing up but i have to keep saying it over & over they do get the message. But i do sometimes have a problem where they can be little devils & ignore mummy but not very often. When we did a bike class @ a rally kavik did go ''on by'' another dog/bike with no trouble & kept on running. I just keep saying /teaching the on by & they do improve after a while as they love to run in harness.

Not much more to add to Rose's post really I've been telling Nukka "on by" since we first went out as shes a bugger for jumping up ANYONE on the street so I just keep repeating it over and over and she listens 95% of the time. Do you use it when walking aswell? Its best to try to keep using all the same commands whilke walking as it re-enforces them in your pups mind that they have to do it EVERY time you say it.

I second doing the training while on walks where you are able to be in full control over them. Take her to those grassy areas and make her keep her head up. If you can, attach a leash to her collar and hold on to it while you are running her. If she tries to sniff give her a quick check and repeate the command more firmly.

its the passing other dogs im worried about... she tries to get to them every time... shes getting better at not pulling toward them and listening, but thats with her halti on, so i dont know if that would change when shes running as i dont have that control...

i do tell her on by, but i dont want her to never be allowed to sniff anything, but will she get the message if sometimes shes allowed to sniff and other times shes not??

I train the on by for when in harness mainly , they rarely actually try to stop when passing things ie people when running, just run past. ours get to sniff/ say hi to other dogs on walks too if i let them. But it seems when running in harness they are fixed on whats around next corner & just run.

I train the on by for when in harness mainly , they rarely actually try to stop when passing things ie people when running, just run past. ours get to sniff/ say hi to other dogs on walks too if i let them. But it seems when running in harness they are fixed on whats around next corner & just run.

hmmm... maybe kiras not as focused as i thought sad.gif or do you think she'd focus more with a partner?

thing is on pavement shes fantastic... on grass shes easily distractable, probably because of all the nice smells.

tho saying that, the rally routes are usually grass pathways arent they?? maybe she'd be more focused because its a direction... not just a large grassy area...

Yes the races are mainly on grass, sandy trails but some can be stoney, mud. We are lucky as where we train its all grass mostly as a racecourse for horses but sometimes kavik gets the whiff of another dogs pee & isn't as focused as he should be & can dawdle to sniff it. This annoys the 2 girlies & they just keep trying to run & pull him away again lol.Trails to follow are much better too as yoiu say they have a direction to follow then.

Once you start running her you should see a big difference in her focus. I know I did with my boys.

thats the thing tho, i try and run her, she knows what hike means, but as soon as she smells something shes sniffing... not running... i actually have to have someone with me when we're running to pull her away from the smell sad.gif

try running her with another team if you can or another dog, and see if that make a difference? You're more than welcome to meet up with me and my boys one weekend and run her on a scooter - prob best with Kimba as he's more focussed than Kaiser is :)

try running her with another team if you can or another dog, and see if that make a difference? You're more than welcome to meet up with me and my boys one weekend and run her on a scooter - prob best with Kimba as he's more focussed than Kaiser is smile.gif

that'd be great! but your so far away!! lol

Maybe at the camping trip in April if you're going?

im afraid thats doubtfull now... just a single for the 2 of us to the other side of the country (E-W) to meet val is 100+ :( and thats booked now... its gunna be double if not more nearer the time which is when we'll have the money :(

Running with another dog does wonders for their focus because it eggs on their competitive side. They start trying to out-run each other and man do you fly! Even when I run my lead dog completely solo, although he does very well, it isn't quite as well as he does when he has a partner to run with.

Also I do find that Huskies in general run better when there is a trail to follow rather than just an open field. Some even seem to get confused out in the open and will start zig-zagging a bit trying to find some sort of path. My leader is trail-obsessed LOL Even in a field he will find some sort of path to follow. Even if it is something as small or discreet as a ripple on the snow from the wind!

Running with another dog does wonders for their focus because it eggs on their competitive side. They start trying to out-run each other and man do you fly! Even when I run my lead dog completely solo, although he does very well, it isn't quite as well as he does when he has a partner to run with.

Also I do find that Huskies in general run better when there is a trail to follow rather than just an open field. Some even seem to get confused out in the open and will start zig-zagging a bit trying to find some sort of path. My leader is trail-obsessed LOL Even in a field he will find some sort of path to follow. Even if it is something as small or discreet as a ripple on the snow from the wind!

hmm well maybe there's hope after all!! lol i know a couple of members on here are comin down to give their dogs a go on my scooter so i'll see how competetive she is then lol. and i'll have to go a bit further to somewhere she can run along a grassy track instead of going to the park and see if that helps, i know a few places so i'll give it a go smile.gif

sid you are welcome to come to ours if u like & could come to the racecourse with us when i get a wkend off which is in a few weeks time. You would need to get to the course though as we wouldn't have enough room in the car for anyone else as we have 2 in back of car & mishka on backseat. we are in a village near cambridge.

sid you are welcome to come to ours if u like & could come to the racecourse with us when i get a wkend off which is in a few weeks time. You would need to get to the course though as we wouldn't have enough room in the car for anyone else as we have 2 in back of car & mishka on backseat. we are in a village near cambridge.

what is the name of the racecourse? i could get a train if there's a station nearby

would she have the enthusiasm to run though after walking that distance. You actually may be able to find a map on google if you put in cottenham 0r cottenham racecourse.

Got this map sid, its our village waterbeach , you then go through landbeach, then to cottenham, the course is on the road on right hand side, we go into course on 2nd exit not 1st one.

http://maps.google.co.uk/

would she have the enthusiasm to run though after walking that distance. You actually may be able to find a map on google if you put in cottenham 0r cottenham racecourse.

Got this map sid, its our village waterbeach , you then go through landbeach, then to cottenham, the course is on the road on right hand side, we go into course on 2nd exit not 1st one.

http://maps.google.co.uk/

ok well it says the nearest station to the village is oakington. Is that right?

• 1 month later...

Once you start running her you should see a big difference in her focus. I know I did with my boys.

Some even seem to get confused out in the open and will start zig-zagging a bit trying to find some sort of path.

2 quotes i can relate too with Miki +repbiggrin.gif

I'm constantly saying onby when we milling around the park. we been doing this since she could first go out. and she knows what it means, weither she wants to go onby is a differnt matter, but i win in the end!! When she in focus in a run i only have to say it if she starts to veer off to the edge of the path i want her to go on. and she comes back centre. She will lose that focus for a sec tho till she gets it back again. She only a baby tho so gets tired quite quickly. 2 runs in a walk and she had enough.

to your problem do you stop to wait when she sniffs and such? I try to keep things moving. so she gets onby alotbiggrin.gif