Normal Behaviour or Puppy Behaviour?

cardifboi

hey guys.. Zeus is 6 months, hes a lovely boy and has got such a personality to him.. when it comes ot the kitchen though he can be a nightmare.. he constantly is jumping up on the sides and taking things off them and chewing them up outside.. at first i thought its our fault for leaving stuff out and giving him the temptation.. so we try to make stuff less visable but he still manages to get something.. so many times i have tooken him back to where he got it and given him a stern no so he knows hes being naughty when he does it.. ill open the kitchen door and he will see me, ears will shoot back and he will run out the back.. thats when i know hes taken something! guys would u say this is just a naught puppy stage hes going through or are they generally like that? hes like it with alot of other things aswell.. he knows its bad but yet he still does it!

well by the time i get int othe kitchen hes gone so i would nornally have to chase him round the garden to drag him back in to the exact spot he jumped up... i will hold him by the collar and say No in a strong but not too aggressive tone.. but then ill leave the kitchen and i will stand their peeping through and he will be straight back up again.. thik hes testing me personally and i think he knows that lol

thats what i thought! thats why i attempt to catch him literally as hes doing it! the breeder mentioned about them jumping up on surfaces when we bought him.. didnt realise would be this bad though lol.. he had my wifes epilepsy medication off the microwave which was ontop of the surface!!! Luckily i came out before he started chewing it otherwise god knows what could of happened to him!

Taking him back to the scene of the crime does not do anything but cause confusion. He's not going to know what you are trying to convey to him. If you can't catch him in the act, don't take him back and try to tell him "no". It just won't get the message across.

Counter surfing is one trait that Zoya has picked up. We have learned to keep things off the counter that may be of interest to her. We also correct her when we see her, by simply saying "down". She knows what down means thank goodness. She will still put her front paws up on the counter, always pushing the envelope, and we immediately say "down".

does this counter surfing eventually die out then as he gets older?

No definitely not, once it is a learned behaviour and one he has realised he can gain success from it becomes a habit and will just harder to break if you wait for it to "die out".

So far he's learned that he can't do it in front of you, not that doing it is wrong, you will need to be careful scolding him as it's not teaching him not to do it, just that he can't do it in front of you. Taking him back to "where he go it" to give him a stern no isn't teaching him anything, dogs live in the moment and if you are going to correct or punish them it has to be done with perfect timing.

Can you block his access from the kitchen when you aren't there? The best thing to do immediately is to prevent him getting on the counter in the first place.

When my beagle did this (and our house is open plan so I can't stop her getting in the kitchen if she's in the house) I would hide around the corner and spray her with water from a spray bottle so she got a shock every time she jumped on the counter. She didn't see me doing it which is important if you want them to learn to stop it in the first place.

I agree with bec the timing must be perfect if you are punishing for it later all he is going to learn is not to be in the kitchen when you are in there. A high pitched noise may also deter him if you catch him doing it but this must be done when he is in the act aswell. If you don't catch him you could try tying 2 metal saucepan lids together and leave on edge of worktop when he counter surfs he will not like the noise they make when they hit the floor.

Stacy