How long to wait?

Ok so I think Ive become a freak or something. hahahaha.

I was not thinking at all that I would consider keeping Achilles when i told the rescue

I would foster him, and I was especially not feeling the urge after I rehomed solo as I

truly felt as though I had not really given it my all with him.

However, I am now maybe considering that if they continue to truly enjoy each others

company and be so great with each other, that I may adopt Achilles myself. They do

actually play together, and have not shown upset or agression, and both are doing

what I ask them, and are not marking or going potty in the house. Its a given that I

will be training with Achilles for awhile as he is in a new place, and thats just how it

should be for a dog.

Im not absolute on this idea yet as he has only been here for about 48 hours but it

has crossed my mind after seeing them so happy and having no problems whatsoever

between the two of them, or toward me.

I was thinking I have a month before I go on vacation to the continental USA, and that

I would give it some time and not be hasty in my decision, but if this harmonious change

sticks, I obviously will not want to give achilles up.

I dunno but it seems to me that this may be a hazard of the job when it comes to fostering,

lol. (if I was to adopt achilles he would be the only one I could keep as I will eventually be

moving back stateside and i cant afford to fly 100 loveable adoptees with me, lmao)

If you were to set a time to make a decision about adopting a dog that you foster and

could care for forever...how long would you wait?

Actually, yes the vacation issue is a factor as of this morning (the couple I was going to hire changed their mind), but

I am not against doing very thorough interviews to know that my boys will be very well cared for and I do have other

good options.

However this issue is not really what would keep me from adopting achilles as if I couldnt find help, Id just stay here.

hiya,

Deciding whether to keep a foster is a really hard choice. Having kept two of mine i know how tricky it is. Part of the decision should be why you want the dog. Its not something you need to share with everyone but it is something you should think about.

Summer (greyhound) is here because no one else wanted her at the time. We fostered her for 3 months and no one seemed to want to adopt her. Shes good with all animals and children. Originally we wanted her because she is so good with merlin. However keeping her because she gets on wit merlin is not a reason to keep a dog. After all if merlin dies i didnt want to be stuck with a dog i didnt really choose. We finnaly found sum a home and she was returned within a week because the owners were allergic. I missed her every day she was gone and when she came back we decided we would keep her because we missed her, not because she gets on with merlin.

Merlin (husky) is again here because i needed to keep him. Due to his behavioural and medical problems he was not a suitable candidate for homing. Originally i was going to foster him for a few months while his case goes though court. (hes an RSPCA crulty case dog) as time went on i fell inlove with him and now i couldnt bare to be apart from him. I get upset when he has to stay at the vets for 24-72 hours after an operation.

I've fostered probably 20+ dogs in the last 4 years ranging from pups to adults with major problems. Normally i go into it knowing that its staying with me for x amount of time then it will be avilable for homing so i dont form the attatchement to them. It is very easy to feel a false sence of love for a dog when you share a home with it and it interacts with your other animals.

I guess what im trying to get at is that i dont think you can put a time limit on it. Its all about whether you want to take on another dog, whether you are ready and whether you feel confident you can care for it for the rest of its life. Im sure you have already thought about this but it never hurts to be reminded.

I think you should take as long as you need. If you know you want him, then have him. If you have any doubts then you need to take some time and work out why it is that your having doubts.

I knew straight away i was having Rosie. She was my dog and i was taking her home, regardless of what anyone else thought or said, unlike sum and merlin who i had to think about for a long time.

Im sure what ever decision you make will be the right one

x

Deciding whether to keep a foster is a really hard choice. Having kept two of mine i know how tricky it is. Part of the decision should be why you want the dog. Its not something you need to share with everyone but it is something you should think about.

Summer (greyhound) is here because no one else wanted her at the time. We fostered her for 3 months and no one seemed to want to adopt her. Shes good with all animals and children. Originally we wanted her because she is so good with merlin. However keeping her because she gets on wit merlin is not a reason to keep a dog. After all if merlin dies i didnt want to be stuck with a dog i didnt really choose. We finnaly found sum a home and she was returned within a week because the owners were allergic. I missed her every day she was gone and when she came back we decided we would keep her because we missed her, not because she gets on with merlin. _ Merlin

No worries there, actually I can think of many wonderful reasons why he would stay with us for life. Firstly, because I am happy to offer him his forever home. He has a very natural and positive reaction to every one of my family members. I really want to have 2 dogs and he seems to like it here, and seems well suited for our family. If he continues to show that he is comfortable and if chewy and the rest of the family continue to show no signs that

there is an issue (im feeling pretty optomistic) I see no reason why he should have to ever be placed in another home. He has already shown me great respect and progress in a very small amount of time and he has even been happy to work for my son today.

I have fostered several times before when I lived in new york, and I have only ever actually adopted 2 of my fosters. one is 'lucky" our now 5 year old cat, that we took in at 7 weeks. and the other is "tigger" who is now 2 (the positively evil orange tabbycat) lol. I dont consider animals accessories or

commodities, they are living breathing beings who deserve to be with people who will love them for their lifetime, so I would never adopt if I didnt fully want to do that for them.

oh, and no it wouldnt stop me from wanting to foster others, the only thing that could make me not foster is an individual animal on its own that has severe aggression that I dont know how to handle as I would be worried for the safety of my kids and my pets.

OMG!! I just got the last 2 signs I was looking for from Achilles and from chewy.

I cannot believe it.

Firstly, achilles was taking his time approaching me to be patted. This Is something

I look for in a dog because it means the begining of a trusting relationship between

the dog and the trainer/owner. He approached me willingly, sat down, greeted me

with enthusiasm and a husky kiss, and leaned against my legs asking for affection,

I could not be happier.

Secondly, we were having a teeny little issue out in the yard with chewy as he has

decided that he should follow achilles and bug him while he goes potty. No aggress-

ion I really think its about play. Well just a few minutes ago while we were outside

I told chewy, leave him alone, and chewy turned came onto the portch and layed

down.

Fabulous!

I will give it 2 weeks and if nothing negitive arises, achilles will be family.

Good luck!

When I found Mishka I wasn't sure if we were going to keep her either. My original thinking was that i'd keep her and adopt her out since i had 2 already. Then within just a few days the 3 of them were running around together and smashing into each other at the park. Then laying down and chewing each other in the middle of the field. Sometimes it's just too good of a fit!

This is my thoughts exactly..."its just to good a fit!" It has shocked me to my core how there has been a total

180 flip of balance to the positive side in 48 hours, and I fully believe that this has alot to do with Achilles and

his fun loving calm nature. the first few hours I was a bit put off by the fact that chewy was being a total pest

to achilles and bouncing around him like a deranged bunny rabbit, lmao. My first thought was "oh crap, now

chewy is acting like he could be aggressive to achilles," but yesterday morning they played and chased and

harrassed each other foor about an hour after breakfast and then bam...all was right and good. after a few

times of me giving slight correction to chewy for harrassing achilles out in the yard, now that has stopped too.