I Never Thought I Would Ask This

bamills1

I have been thinking long and hard about giving up Otto. I love him to death, and he's honestly one of the best dogs I know. I love siberian's in general and I've raised him since he was 10 LBS. As I getting older into my college career, working a more serious, more stressful job, have messy and lazy roommates, I'm finding it more stressful than ever to take care of Otto. He hasn't changed, nor have I, but I just believe more is being demanded of me. I can't take him to the park every day now, he's in a smaller apartment where he's not even technically allowed at.

I say all of that to say that I have made up my mind: I would gratefully accept anyone who I've come to know and talk to on our forum to adopt Otto. (Obviously I'm not trying to push it on anyone, but I know we have some US members and I thought if I'm going to do this, it's going to be a husky forum member or nobody) if nobody adopts him, I'm going to keep him, and deal with the stress that comes along with it. I'm not one to complain, make excuses, or attempt the easy way out, so if 10 years from now I'm taking care of a snow dog, so be it.

Obviously I'm not having the time of my life right now, and I don't want to put that off on anyone, but I feel like it's a big announcement. I'm open to discussion or suggestion from anyone. Hopefully tomorrow I'll wake up and think the opposite way, but for now I feel like this is a good first step.

:(  So sorry to hear that your having a rough time lately.  I hope you can find a way to keep him, but it must be a very hard decision to make.  Honestly, if I had the space I woudl gladly adopt Otto, even temporarily.  I have a lot of husky friends in Indiana on FB, but I don't know too many in your area.  If there is anyway I can help let me know, we are all one big family here :)

Well, I would say, what is right for Otto?  Is he going to have less walks, less attention that he needs?  If you think you cannot give him the exercise and attention that he needs then it is probably the right thing to do.  It's not like you would drop him off in a shelter or anything, so if you did have to rehome him, you would know that he would have a great life in a new home too (plus you may be able to visit him too). 

If you are going to push yourself to keep him and exhaust yourself, that's not healthy either.  You're young, so I am sure you still want to go out, hang out with friends, etc.  and having a dog kind of limits your ability to do that all the time.  For me, I already been there, done that so I don't mind staying at home or doing stuff with the dogs. 

It's a tough decision, but like you said maybe you will feel differently about it tomorrow.  When I first got Nikko I was so upset and seriously thought about rehoming him because he was too much to handle and I made the biggest mistake. 

It is hard. On one hand I want to keep him and suck it up, on the other hand I want some stress free college years, but I'd feel irresponsible for getting him then doing that. I'm torn between what's morally right and what's right for me.

Brett, I'm sorry to hear this :( I wouldn't have anything to suggest, and I don't want to guilt-trip you for ever asking this question, but I just want to let you know that not taking him to the park every day doesn't mean you're not taking a good care of him. I do believe Otto is still getting everything he deserves to get, most importantly your undivided love. I would love to help, but I'd have to sort my own dog first :(

Hi Brett, 

Its all down to your decision, im in the UK so there is no chance of me being able to take him, but the fact that you have put it  that you must have SOMEONE from this forum and i presume they have to be a long term poster as after all anyone can join up and decide they want to rehome him, shows to me that you are really trying to limit your chances of finding him a home. That only tells me that deep inside you really do want to keep him. Ill be honest, it can get really hard having a dog to look after at such a young age, and it can become an absolute stressbucket. However, you love Otto, even i can see that because even though his lifestyle has changed slightly with yours, your still worried about his needs. There are ways about getting around the whole going out thing.. for example send him to the groomers for the day or to doggie day care i know there are some in the US however not so many in the UK but it doesnt need to be used permenantly, just on the occasion that you would like to go out and cant really leave him at home for that long. I know husky owners who walk their dogs ONCE a day and only for about a 45minute walk so dont beat yourself up about not being able to take him to the park every day, he will be more than grateful when you get the time. I understand that Otto isn't essentially meant to be there but it sounds like your just making excuses to try to make it easier to come to terms that your giving him away. Personally i think that tomorrow you are going to be in a whole different light, as your post has so many things there that just scream at me that you really do want to keep him but just need someone to tell you how you can manage it. I mean i start uni soon, ive just been kicked out of my home and i have two huskys haha, we can go through the stress together but i do believe that in the long run giving up otto - in your personal circumstance will hurt like crazy because after all, they're always the ones that are there for us when these moments happen, even if they are the reason that we are stressed sometimes. 

If after reading this you still cant see yourself being able to cope then i'll search the whole forum for someone from alabama that may be able to take him for you.

see, your young, and there are so many ways that you can keep your dog, he loves you as much as you love him believe me, just try and stick it out and of course if it gets too much then you wont have a choice but just give it a little bit of time.. its crossed my mind a couple of times to give up my boys due to the grief having them is causing between me and my mum but they're my babies and the way i look at it, they love me unconditionally and will always be there for me when others can change their attitude and arent.

what do your room mates think of him btw?

btw it would be lovely to talk to you more, just read on your profile your studying criminal law, im starting my law degree this month :) im also always happy to help if you need anyone to talk to about getting stressed out with student life and owning a dog as me and liv are both going through it even if our circumstances are slightly different

How are you doing today Brett? 

From your last post it sounds like you've made up your mind.  Wishing you both all of the best and can only echo what liv' and Tia have said before me.  You're clearly trying your best to look after Otto and in my eyes that's what makes you a good owner.  You got used to taking him to the park everyday when things were easier but now that your workload has changed, so your routine has to follow suit as trying to maintain that same one will run you into the ground eventually.  It's just not sustainable.  I usually walk mine around the streets during the week when things are busier and time is limited and save up trips to the park for the weekend, I would say that Bear and Ice are happy with this arrangement, they're happy just to be out and about whether it's the park or walking around the pavement doesn't really make too much difference.  lt's the change of scenery and exercise that they enjoy the most, oh and looking out for foxes, lol.

If you're unsure how to balance your work with looking after Otto, then you could always start a thread asking for some helpful tips as i'm sure someone will have some good ideas and collectively maybe we'll be able to help. 

However, if you do eventually decide that it's too much for you, then please feel free to message either myself or another moderator and we can help assist you into placing a rehoming thread. 

Take care Brett. xxx

btw it would be lovely to talk to you more, just read on your profile your studying criminal law, im starting my law degree this month :) im also always happy to help if you need anyone to talk to about getting stressed out with student life and owning a dog as me and liv are both going through it even if our circumstances are slightly different

Tia, me and Elyse altogether :) students, assemble! (( alright that's a bad one ))

Anyways I'd echo that. Our circumstances are different from one another but if you need somebody to talk to about student life stress or anything really, you can also shoot me a PM anytime :D