Walking my husky off the Leash!!

hey guys! Zeus is now 6 n a half months.. ive been walking him off the leash now for nearly 2 months.. we go the same place everytime through a forestry.. never had a problem with him before but today hes wound me up so much.. finished our walk and he wasnt coming back when called.. i tried just being patient and waiting by the car for him but he would just wander further away.. whenever id start to walk at him to get him he would see me and run further thinking it some sort of game! im so annoyed with him im reluctant to take him for a walk again because i know he will probably do the same again! cant even look at him at the moment lol.. anyone else get this problem who walk their huskyoff leash??

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we have a pup that is 6 n a half month and we hav let her off her leash over a feild a few times but she doesnt go any where cuz she is to busy playin with the other dogs , but sum times she get tangled up with the other dogs and she gets lose and she does the same thing she runs away wen you near her :):)

im afraid thats y alot ov husky owners are told not 2 walk their dogs offlead as a pup u are the best thing since sliced bread as they get older more things become more intresting than u and thats when the problems start - and the prey drive kicks in - once they see summin they want that they see more intresting than u thats it im afraid - i think the best thing now wud b too keep him on his leash for his own saftey now cuz if he sees a rabbit or summing else ov intrest thats it he will bolt after it and im not tryin 2 scare u but u cud loose him forever (wether that b cuz hes ran off or he cud get hit by a car) u can start training a recall (work inside ur house n move it 2 ur garden n keep adding distractions) but with a sibe u can never b too sure y dont u get an extendable lead so he can still have the freedom ov being offleash but u no hes safe?

why is that though? most other dogs can be let off their leads.. i dont understand why hes been fine all this time then all of a sudden he dont want to come back! im not kean on getting a long lead for him because thatll be a nightmare with him running through all the trees!

please dont do it again. huskies are programmed to run, if they get the chance they will. he's been fine until now as he was an impressionable puppy, he liked to follow you around, wasnt that bothered by the outside world, had no want to explore than far away. hes now growing up, becoming more independant, recall training will go out the window and he will have selective hearing. his prey drive his kicking in, as is his want to run.

its really not a good idea to let him off, he could kill livestock or worse, himself

aww no thats such a shame! i love taking him up their seeing him run free he loves it.. follows me allthe way round! its just when we get to the car he knows its time to go so he wanders off! really dont wana give up on walking him off the leash! just when i thought he was getting more behaved he starts doing this!! cant believe how naughty they are to be honest!

i think thats a risk u run with sibes im afraid :( i no its a shame not 2 b able 2 let him off but if u find anywhere thats enclosed near u u cud take him there n let him off there instead so hes all kept in nice n safe im arfraid other walks will need 2 b on-leash walks tho

its nothing to do with respect its just the way sibes are its bred in them 2 run they have their prey drives bred in2 them (tho they dont kick in as a pup as ur experiencing) and as u will no they arent 1 ppl dogs they are pack dogs - it rly is just how they are im afraid

Well i walk Amigo and Bella off leash even in the city,and i never had problems. It's all about trust (can i call it this way?) and how they are learned as pups. I didn't use the long leash method, just with treats and lot of fun when they were pups :-) I think that all is about the owners patiency and it's necesarry to understand your dog, especially the Siberian Husky.

see cardifboi i do think maybe u need 2 start sum recall training with ur sibe start in ur house call his name and say 'here' or 'come' when he comes 2 u give him a treat work in the house till u no longer need the treats then go 2 ur back garden then agen keep at this then work in ur front garden where theres more distractions keep doing this moving 2 diff places with more distractions n soon u will have trained a recall :)

thats what makes me want to keep trying when i see other people who can let them off! gonna keep trying but may start taking lots of treats just incase he dont, going to go bakcto basics out the back with the calling and rewarding technique for a few days and hopefully things may change in the future.. theirs no risk of him getting hurt up their as their are no roads about for him to run on to! hes sulking at the moment because i wont pay him any attention atm lol

just keep working on training him with the treats im sure u will have him running back in no time smile.gif

just incase u want it heres a link for a 100 ft lead i have 1 for my boy Blaze

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item19b8d8da87

oh n give him a fuss hes not 2 no hes done wrong ;) u no u wanna lol

Some Huskies can handle it, others cannot.

Mickey is very good off lead if he's in heel position. If i let him wander, it becomes less and less reliable. A squirrel can cross our paths no problem as long as he's in position. As for running through a forest...? Never would i trust any of them. Too many squirrels, birds, whirling leaves, and other fast moving objects that they would be oh so tempted to chase into oblivion. And when they're chasing something, recall is pretty much zero.

Honestly if I were you I wouldn't continue these off leash romps. Unless you get a long lead and pack treats to practice recall. And it's not disrespect. It's a Sibe.

I may look into getting one of them leads. My eldest Husky, Noushka, can go off the lead aslong as we are away from roads as she has no road sense. Once we're deep in the fileds or woods she is absolutley fine. She will run off but never out of site. If she see's other dogs she will want to play with them but apart from that she stays very close to me.

If she loses site of me she comes looking for me, but I would stress that it was not always like this, up until a few years ago she would try and escape and run miles and miles, but now she is content in the garden and then out running when off the lead.

Will I do that with little Falkor, I doubt it as I don't think I will be as lucky two times on the run.

Good luck with with the lead and trying to train him