Russia / Ukraine; Israel / Gaza; Just Where Are We Headed?

Removed #5

I was asked a question in a PM and I think the content of the reporting community makes it a valid question.

Basically, I was asked "What do I think about ...?"

The gentleman in Moscow?  I'm not sure what to think about that mess.  On the one hand Russia has been sending in humanitarian aid to the Ukranians who have been caught up in an internal conflict.  Or at least that's the spin that RT puts on it. 

The question arises "At what point does violence by a separatist movement require intervention by an outside force?" and what if that outside force has been instigating the separatists?

I'd like to see Russia (and the US) back off and allow - require - an internal referendum to allow the people to decide their own fate.  I don't see that happening since the country itself is so divided internally.  No matter who wins, I think the strife will continue.  If the separatists win and part or all of the Ukraine becomes a Russian vassal state, the US government is going to have a fit about Russian expansionism (validly?)

The Russian troops which have been setting on the Ukrainian border, one assumes, must be there for some reason.  Is Moscow *really* planning on an invasion into the Ukraine to "save the country from itself"?  If they do, what's the response from the rest of the world going to be?  I can't see the EU or the US setting back and accepting that as an alternative to continued violence with the Ukraine, at the same time I can't see a military intervention from either of them, the UN or NATO. In too many ways, this is beginning to look too much like Germany setting on Polands border many years back. 

On a somewhat related topic, one must question the recent incursions of Russian bombers and Intelligence gathering aircraft which have ventured into American air space.  I have to think that they're playing a very dangerous game, one that could have much unwanted (unwarranted?) consequences.  Just as I have to question the Russian presence on the Ukrainian border, specifically at this time I have to seriously question overflights of US territory by that same country.  Russian politicians of recent years have seemed to be considerably more apt to talk than shoot, so what's the purpose of the display of all the firepower?

While the US continues to engage in sorties over Iraq, against the militants, in support of the legitimate government ... I have to question whether we really belong there *again*.  End of that topic, I'm concerned that the US government will feel obligated to engage in another exercise there to prop up the government we helped put in place.

Israel / Gaza:  First, I think everyone knows that I tend to be pro-Israeli so my take on this must be taken with a grain of salt.

How many humanitarian cease fires have there been in this new round of an old conflict?  How many have been broken in one fashion or the other by both parties?  Personally I can't fault Israel for saying that "Enough of these rocket attacks is more than enough!"  The fault that I do find with the Israeli government is that they're having to play to the international audience.  Just as our war in Viet Nam was fought in front of the world, so is this battle.  There is no way that either side can completely satisfy the demands, opinion, fatwah being broadcast almost daily by those opposed.  If Israel is serious about disengaging from this conflict, then close the borders, put listening devices in place for new tunnels, and step out.  If they want a serious solution to the problem in Gaza, it's going to require totally wiping out the Palestinian ability to refit and redeploy their fighters - regrettably, I think, an impossible task without destroying Gaza as a viable economic home for the Palestinians.

While the victims of their incursion into Gaza have been high, I think I have to say that if Hamas weren't so apt to use human shields the number of victims would have been considerably less.  Putting a rocket base in a school should not prevent the Israeli's from attacking the school - I'm sorry but the blood of those victims falls squarely on the hands of Hamas, imho.

In my opinion, both of these conflicts have similar problems and should have similar solutions.  The problems are that a small percentage, arguably,  of the Ukrainians and Gazans are not satisfied with the status quo and are unwilling to work within the existing governmental framework to effect change.  In both cases, this should be an internal conflict.  If the Ukrainian government wants peace within its border then it's incumbent on them to pursue the militants and bring them to trial under their law. Perhaps oddly, I feel the same way about Hamas in Gaza. 

If the government in whatever fashion cannot or will not confront those who are in violation of national and international law then it's time for the populace to replace the government.  Failing either solution, it should be the place of the UN / NATO to place troops to ensure personal safety and help to establish a legitimate government.  Neither the Russian Federation nor the US have any place, imho, in the internal conflict of another sovereign nation.

So, there's my rather sophomoric take on the two major conflict besetting the world today.  I invite your take ...

Maybe it's just because I'm so far out of the flow of "normal daily life" that international politics interests me.  Of course, I grew up when the public was talking about the end of the Korean war and how terrible that was; then was of an age that I took part in the Viet Nam Conflict, which has to be one of the most discussed conflicts sine it's the "first war that the US lost" <arguable>.

Now, I'm intrigued, after several views, no one has made any comment at all ... is it because my opinions were, intentionally, sophomoric (trying to draw out other opinions), is it because my views on the crises are so out of line with yours (in which case I'd really appreciated your comments) or is it that you have little or no interest in the international violence ... or is it <what?>