Aggression :(

hey, everyone! this isn't about my huskies, really. but I was wondering if any of you had any experience with aggressive dogs and/or any advice on it.

my neighbor (we live about two steps away from each other and are great friends) has two pit bulls. and no, I'm not saying they're mean because of their breed. but they ARE mean! they killed my parent's chihuahua and the older male gets in fights with the neighborhood dogs any chance he gets. :( they've also killed many cats, opossum, or anything they can get ahold of.

today, chad escaped (thanks to my parents, I wasn't home) and wondered right over to their pen. the aggressive male almost broke it down to get to chad!

and they aren't always in the fence, when their owners are home, they have an electric shock collar fence (which rarely has batteries, but they think it'll scare them anyways) :(

just looking for some advice so I don't have to be nervous about my pups getting killed if they make one wrong move :( thanks in advance !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow that's horrible! They killed your parents chihuahua?! Where I live if that had happened they'd both be put down because that's dangerous. Honestly I'd be terrified of my pup getting close to them. Don't have any advice but just be careful :(

yes, they did. but since she got loose and was more in their yard than mine, they are both fine. they get out of their yard all the time, though. so I don't understand why it's okay. :( I don't know what to do, I am terrified! and it's miserable.. :( thanks, and trust me we are very careful now! :(

they think if a dog gets close to their dog, it's the other dogs fault. like they're the most irresponsible dog owners I've ever met. and we're right in the middle of town with LOTS of kids and other dogs. everyone used to just let their dogs run loose at night, because it was never a problem. but we can't because of those two next door.

I know, I know! And they're really not bad people, they're incredibly nice. but they just have AWFUL dogs and they're in denial. :( they rescued one, and it was a fighting dog before. so that's why it's mean. it's entire lower jaw was ripped off when they got it. and the other one just picked up on the mean ones behavior :(

This is a heartbreaking post :C They sound like irresponsible owners. There is a *disclaimer* on this advice because it could potentially land you in a bad position with your neighbors which isn't something that you probably want.

But if it were me, I'd sit down with them or invite them over, and without accusing them, explain to them the potential consequences of having 'lose' dogs; 'lose' meaning dogs that could potentially kill (because they have) other dogs, or hurt a child or an adult. I'd also let them know that their dogs could be PTS if god forbid something did happen. I'd point blank tell them this: that I'm scared for my dogs and if they could somehow help me with that problem I'd really appreciate it.

Also, I'd see if I could anonymously report them to animal control. Let animal control know that the dogs have killed in the past and are a potential threat.

we've tried everything, I swear. nothing seems to work with them :( I was just wondering if anyone has some dog behavioral tips so they maybe wouldn't be so mean. ya know? and they aren't small dogs, they could do some SERIOUS damage. I've tried talking to them.. nope /: and the animal control came over and said they look like they're well kept in their yard (which they're not) so they can't do anything. :( I'll add a pic of them just because..

ps, what's a disclaimer.. post-12025-14051218332923_thumb.jpgpost-12025-14051218429088_thumb.jpg

I tend to agree with Smokey but I'm not sure how they'd take any discussion about people being afraid of their dogs.

I can see "poo-poo you're just down on the breed!" as being the likely response which makes any discussion futile.  Talking to other dog owners and getting together to talk to animal control would go over like a lead balloon.  That brings everything from "You're all going behind our backs."

And in light of your last post - posted as I was typing - given that loving scene, I can see animal control saying they're not a problem but taht doesn't alleviate your concern. 

Wish I had some constructive ideas but you sound like you've tried all the good ones.

Aw love :C I'f you've tried that and you want to help with their behavior then I guess you need to try to 'train' them. Maybe some one-on-one time with them? If you have time maybe you could ask your neighbors to enroll them in an obedience class and you volunteer your time to take them?

I honestly think they need a trainer; it sounds like a really bad situation and I'm sorry you've to deal with it. It really isn't your problem but unfortunately you have to deal with it. I don't know what else to say :C

A disclaimer is a statement that denies any responsibility if the advice is taken.

they don't listen.. they say they're in their yard, so it shouldn't matter.. yet, they've attacked a little beagle on the road once. [emoji34]

yeah, and honestly I have no problem with the breed! it's just they weren't raised right.. and they don't need to be in town with lots of other dogs.

exactly.. just cause they have that shock collar, they aren't a problem.. but the shock collar doesn't even hold them! :(

I have, I have. thanks tho! :/

I want to, but they're so unpredictable. and I sure know I can't hold them back if they see something they want to snack on. one of them is stronger than both of my huskies combined.

I wish, 1. neither of us have the money and 2. they don't see a problem with their dogs.

thanks for the talks, though! at least someone sees it from my point of view!

and ohh, hehe. that makes sense. I'm not real up to date on the terms yet, sorry!

It is a horrible and worrying situation but I think that all you can do is report the incidents to the local council or whoever is the controlling or enforcing agency in your area. 

You can really only control your own dogs and if that means erecting extra fencing to safeguard your dogs then this might be the best action. If you have to walk past their place and fear they may escape and attack then carry something with you to make your feel safer. You can get a small air horn that blasts a huge noise at the attacker and is a pretty good way for diverting an attack in a non violent manner. 

Another thing is to always keep a handful of kibble handy that you can throw in the path of unwanted approaching dogs, this may stop them for long enough for you to remove yourself from the situation.

Oh I thought of something. I know people who carry bear spray or pepper spray or even a stick to thwart an attacking dog...

Jase actually made me think of that...

I have heard a few police reports that officers found it ineffective again hyper-aggressive dogs. But I would think it still worthwhile to carry if legal in your area.

I'm pretty sure it IS legal. my grandparents walk every night and they both have pepper spray.. I may have to look into that. and we have a fence, but chad can jump it no problem. we don't have enough money to get a better one at the moment, but I really fear it'll be too late once we do :(

it's not fair for the other dogs of the neighborhood to have to be put up like this just because of two mean dogs, but I guess there's nothing I can do :(

I'm pretty sure it IS legal. my grandparents walk every night and they both have pepper spray.. I may have to look into that. and we have a fence, but chad can jump it no problem. we don't have enough money to get a better one at the moment, but I really fear it'll be too late once we do :(

it's not fair for the other dogs of the neighborhood to have to be put up like this just because of two mean dogs, but I guess there's nothing I can do :(

Are you saying that your dog can jump your own fence? 

yes, it's just a little chicken wire fence. it was made for the chihuahuas that my parents have but I use it to.. not keep the huskies in, but make sure they don't get away. I never leave them outside by themselves. if they get close to it, I yell at em. but my parents don't use it properly... obviously. :(

I haven't read all the replies above yet, which is something I very rarely do. But I'm up for piano lesson in just a moment so I'm writing this in a rush. Pits are famous for dog-aggression issues. A lot of pit owners don't even dare to crate their pit with another dog in the same crate or even the same room. So maybe, this is not a case of irresponsible owner. It's just a breed trait. And no, I'm not saying these dogs are killers. They're sweet, loving and very playful. Just not really social, sometimes. So... I can't offer any advice as what can you do (except to upgrade that fence maybe, to keep the Huskies in even when you're not home) but thought I'd provide a different perspective.

yeah, I know. I just wanna give the breed the benefit of the doubt and I've never personally owned one.. ya know? either way, they're very aggressive dogs but I figured someone might have some good advice on it :( they keep them in the same outdoor pen, but they're in separate crates if they put them up that way. I would upgrade it if I had the money, trust me.

I shouldn't even add to this post because of my history with the breed, I tend get very protective. Please keep in mind with everything I say that it comes from a caring heart and a lot of experience. Mean dogs aren't screwing up your neighborhood. Irresponsible, uninformed dog-owners are. You've said a couple times that the people who own the dogs are super nice and great people, it's just that they're in denial and etc. That is probably all true, it is -still- their fault. Not the dogs. I have worked with a lot of ex-fighting rescue dogs and they can be socialized and become well functioning members of dog society. I also realize there may be extreme cases in which the difficulty of this is beyond the average dog owners' abilities. But the bottom line is that the issue here doesn't come just from that dog's background which he passed on to the companion dog. It comes from the people who rescued him not knowing how (or possibly not finding it necessary) to properly help him get over the issues his past could have caused. And I also don't think the companion dog is mean because it rubbed off on them. It's true that dogs learn things from each other, but if the owners did not train the correct etiquette for the first dog, they didn't do it for the second either. I feel like a lot of these dogs' issues are being blamed not necessarily on the breed, but on their past when it's really their present that is causing them to be such a concern for you. No matter how hard you try, when facing an aggressive dog there is no magic solution that will pause them before they grab your dog. This big of a problem takes serious training to solve. Extreme amounts of time and effort and patience. The -only- person that will be with those dogs for long enough for that to work are the owners. I understand they are your friends. I know exactly what you mean when you say that they just blow off what you say as if nothing is wrong. In my honest opinion, for the safety of the dogs involved- yours included, I would do everything in my power to make them actually register what you are saying and take it to heart. And please don't take this the Wong way, but that doesn't mean intensely loath their vicious dogs and then pop next door to have a lemonade with them anyway. If their dogs are really so much of an issue that you are concerned for the lives of other animals, it's not alright for them to agree to disagree and move on to a different topic. Maybe realizing they cannot continue with things the way they are and still have the respect of their peers will wake them up a little. I know, it's seems genuinely ludicrous that I am suggesting you tell them to get a grip and fix their dogs or stop being friends. I know almost no one that will actually do that. But taking steps to say something along the lines of "this is how I feel, I am not the only one, and I scared for my dog so if you can't do something then I can't come around here with my dog anymore" should definitely be an option. I also know that not everyone has spare cash laying around to hire behaviorists, but to be frank, if it was a physical injury, would they take them to a vet? Because this serious of an issue should be considered the dogs' mental health and the costs should be seen in the same light as fixing a broken leg. It's owners like this that MAKE pits look like a terrible breed to own. It is unbelievable the amount of people in the world that would readily sign these dogs up for genecide. I used to do programs for local schools with my dogs to educate kids about the breed and show people what they truly are like. It's just... if anyone really knows how bad it is out there for pits, it is heartbreaking. Most of the dogs out there causing the bad rep are actually only -mixed- with the breed and are labeled a Pitbull because they can see a slight resemblance. Anyway, what I am trying to say is, I am very sorry but nicest people in the world or not, it's the owners screwing up your neighborhood, not the dogs and because you don't live with them and cannot help properly train or socialize them the only solution is to find a way to convince them to listen to reason or to completely separate yourself from them by enclosing your yard differently and always keeping your dog on a lead and away from them. If (God forbid) a dog ever does get a hold of your dog, do not try to separate them. Tugging on a Pitbull will do nothing and they could react by locking their jaw. Throw a bucket of water on them or grab a hose. Sounds terrible, I know, and it might not always work, but it's your best shot.

I post this topic a few days ago describing situation about my baby husky and the neighbor pitbull breaking into our back yard and tried to attack my pup, hope it helps!  in my case my 3.5 month female husky is fully capable of defending herself with a full grown pit bull, and the pit bull was the underdog. But it depends on the dog, my girl is nice to the family (even to my cat, they sleep together), but she can be a warrior. 

I shouldn't even add to this post because of my history with the breed, I tend get very protective. Please keep in mind with everything I say that it comes from a caring heart and a lot of experience. Mean dogs aren't screwing up your neighborhood. Irresponsible, uninformed dog-owners are. You've said a couple times that the people who own the dogs are super nice and great people, it's just that they're in denial and etc. That is probably all true, it is -still- their fault. Not the dogs. I have worked with a lot of ex-fighting rescue dogs and they can be socialized and become well functioning members of dog society. I also realize there may be extreme cases in which the difficulty of this is beyond the average dog owners' abilities. But the bottom line is that the issue here doesn't come just from that dog's background which he passed on to the companion dog. It comes from the people who rescued him not knowing how (or possibly not finding it necessary) to properly help him get over the issues his past could have caused. And I also don't think the companion dog is mean because it rubbed off on them. It's true that dogs learn things from each other, but if the owners did not train the correct etiquette for the first dog, they didn't do it for the second either. I feel like a lot of these dogs' issues are being blamed not necessarily on the breed, but on their past when it's really their present that is causing them to be such a concern for you. No matter how hard you try, when facing an aggressive dog there is no magic solution that will pause them before they grab your dog. This big of a problem takes serious training to solve. Extreme amounts of time and effort and patience. The -only- person that will be with those dogs for long enough for that to work are the owners. I understand they are your friends. I know exactly what you mean when you say that they just blow off what you say as if nothing is wrong. In my honest opinion, for the safety of the dogs involved- yours included, I would do everything in my power to make them actually register what you are saying and take it to heart. And please don't take this the Wong way, but that doesn't mean intensely loath their vicious dogs and then pop next door to have a lemonade with them anyway. If their dogs are really so much of an issue that you are concerned for the lives of other animals, it's not alright for them to agree to disagree and move on to a different topic. Maybe realizing they cannot continue with things the way they are and still have the respect of their peers will wake them up a little. I know, it's seems genuinely ludicrous that I am suggesting you tell them to get a grip and fix their dogs or stop being friends. I know almost no one that will actually do that. But taking steps to say something along the lines of "this is how I feel, I am not the only one, and I scared for my dog so if you can't do something then I can't come around here with my dog anymore" should definitely be an option. I also know that not everyone has spare cash laying around to hire behaviorists, but to be frank, if it was a physical injury, would they take them to a vet? Because this serious of an issue should be considered the dogs' mental health and the costs should be seen in the same light as fixing a broken leg. It's owners like this that MAKE pits look like a terrible breed to own. It is unbelievable the amount of people in the world that would readily sign these dogs up for genecide. I used to do programs for local schools with my dogs to educate kids about the breed and show people what they truly are like. It's just... if anyone really knows how bad it is out there for pits, it is heartbreaking. Most of the dogs out there causing the bad rep are actually only -mixed- with the breed and are labeled a Pitbull because they can see a slight resemblance. Anyway, what I am trying to say is, I am very sorry but nicest people in the world or not, it's the owners screwing up your neighborhood, not the dogs and because you don't live with them and cannot help properly train or socialize them the only solution is to find a way to convince them to listen to reason or to completely separate yourself from them by enclosing your yard differently and always keeping your dog on a lead and away from them. If (God forbid) a dog ever does get a hold of your dog, do not try to separate them. Tugging on a Pitbull will do nothing and they could react by locking their jaw. Throw a bucket of water on them or grab a hose. Sounds terrible, I know, and it might not always work, but it's your best shot.

trust me, I'm not bashing the breed at all! I promise you that. I've never been around pit bulls (except these two) but, I do agree it's NOT their fault they are the way they are. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's all my neighbors fault, but it definitely is a lot of theirs. her boyfriend thinks it's funny when the male is aggressive, so he aggs it on. which really ticks me off, obviously. I've tried talking to them multiple times. I stopped talking to them for months after their dogs killed my parent's chihuahua.. nothing does any good. it's better to stay friends with them so they'll warn you when they let the dogs out of their pen so we can keep ours inside (except monitored potty breaks). I wish they would do something about it, I wish you could come down here and train them, actually! there's a lot of bad handlers around here with pits, and every single one of them is in denial. *shrugs* and when you say I "loathe" the neighbors dogs, no no no. that also isn't true. I don't even dislike them, really. I just do not trust them with any other dogs. I used to go over there and play with them / walk them if I had free time. they're both sweethearts to people.. a little hyper, but sweet none-the-less. they just both have SERIOUS aggression issues that need A LOT of attention. if you have any advice on how to work with them, that would be amazing since you seem to know the breed so well. even if you don't think I could help, I could drop some "helpful hints" (hehe) to the neighbors, maybe. without them getting defensive. and thanks a ton for commenting, seriously! anything helps.

I post this topic a few days ago describing situation about my baby husky and the neighbor pitbull breaking into our back yard and tried to attack my pup, hope it helps! in my case my 3.5 month female husky is fully capable of defending herself with a full grown pit bull, and the pit bull was the underdog. But it depends on the dog, my girl is nice to the family (even to my cat, they sleep together), but she can be a warrior.

I actually read that earlier today.. but didn't you say the pit was all bark ? hehe. I've seen these two in action. I watched them kill my moms chi, and plenty of cats, etc :( so I know they aren't scared, or all bark. they have plenty of bite, also! (sadly)

I actually read that earlier today.. but didn't you say the pit was all bark ? hehe. I've seen these two in action. I watched them kill my moms chi, and plenty of cats, etc :( so I know they aren't scared, or all bark. they have plenty of bite, also! (sadly)

you are right I am not clear whether he bites but barking is scary enough, I am coward haha. Sounds like we have similar neighbors, I don't know them well but they have a lot kids/ different dogs. We brought back their crying pit bull and talked to them last time, they fixed the fence and everything works out fine. I have no other better suggestion but to work on the owners. BTW, how old is your dog?