Aggression :(

you are right I am not clear whether he bites but barking is scary enough, I am coward haha. Sounds like we have similar neighbors, I don't know them well but they have a lot kids/ different dogs. We brought back their crying pit bull and talked to them last time, they fixed the fence and everything works out fine. I have no other better suggestion but to work on the owners. BTW, how old is your dog?

well, one of them is about 7 months.. but my youngest isn't even 3 months old yet [emoji15] her birthday is 4/20.

yes, barking is definitely intimidating.. but seeing them barreling after your pup is a lot worse.. trust me! it was an awful experience.

they also have two kids, and get new cats every month, probably.. since their dogs kill all of theirs. [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure they are nice people??? They may have a nice attitude, but that doesn't make them nice people. I am a husky lover but also a cat lover, I feel horrified by them letting dogs kill cats:( keep your babies more inside while they are still young

they're nice.. to people [emoji17] she doesn't really care for cats, obviously. she just keeps them when they wonder up. and because one of her sons likes them. and trust me, I do keep her inside. better safe than sorry!

I'm sorry about the loathing comment, I didn't mean for it to come out that harsh. I just was trying to say that it's definitely the owners, not the dogs. And I don't think they are terrible, just... well, not understanding what they should be doing. Their hearts are probably in the right place, but not correcting aggression because they keep them in their own yard doesn't make it okay. Aggression is really stressful for a dog and not pleasant to live with. (You already know all that.) I am not sure where to start with tips, but I can give you a few small things. The absolute biggest is that they make corrections when aggression is shown. Let them know that it does raise their dog's blood pressure. The dog is uncomfortable and stressed out and unhappy when it is aggressive. They don't need to yell at him. I would suggest they not raise their voice too loudly or use an angry tone when they correct him. In the cases I had, I often used a firm "Tsk!" sound and tapped the side of my foot against the dog. Not kicking. Literally very gently tapping. I would check to make sure that their dogs haven't bit them before suggesting that though, as sticking your foot towards an aggressive dog isn't really the safest thing in the world, heh. I never really had much of a dog fear, so I never minded. A great start for almost any training you're trying to accomplish is walking. If they can teach their dog to walk at a loose leash heel, it's a huge help for socializing from a distance. Walking the dog in the same vicinity as other dogs could be too close for comfort at the beginning, so have them move to the other side of the road and when their attention starts to wander to the other dog if there is any kind if aggressive reaction, like posturing or hair on their spine coming up, immediately use the correction and just repeat as often as their walks occur consistently until you can stay a little closer each time without the aggressive reaction. At the same time without stopping to pay attention to other dog, you can wave and use a calm and happy tone of voice to say hello and something that will feel kind if sappy to the pit, like "Oh, that is a nice leash they have over there." Now, I am going to be honest here, I can't tell you that the tone thing works, or that the words have any effect on the training. All I know is that when I did this, it seems to register with the dogs I was working with. It may have just been the general mood it displays, but they seemed to put together the appearance of another dog and the happy and calm voice and an association seemed to form. You'll be trying to work your way up to walking right by a dog without them getting worked up. Once you get to that point and practice for a while, you could start more socialization training. I am not a dog behaviorist, and I have had no "formal" training. I am sure there are studied methods for these things. I only know what I used and what worked for me. But I hope it helps in any way you can use the information. :) There really is too much to try and relay in a post like this, and I wouldn't know how to explain some of it in text without just showing or doing, but that's what I could think of that would maybe give them a first step in the right direction.

they're nice.. to people [emoji17] she doesn't really care for cats, obviously. she just keeps them when they wonder up. and because one of her sons likes them. and trust me, I do keep her inside. better safe than sorry!

Yup better safe than sorry. I am just curious how did you cope with them after the dog killed your chihuahua? Report to anyone? Personally if anyone hurt my pets, no matter dog or cat, I might set their house on fire :P

I don't know about that, Wendy :( if reported, the dogs would most likely be confiscated from the owner and then put in a shelter (if not destroyed on sight!). Noisy, stressful shelter environment would only add to the dog's stress and would trigger even more aggressive behavior. Then, I'm afraid, they would soon be deemed too aggressive to be adopted and PTS :( best solution here is to educate the owner (no matter how stubborn they are) and help them train their dogs.

I'm sorry about the loathing comment, I didn't mean for it to come out that harsh. I just was trying to say that it's definitely the owners, not the dogs. And I don't think they are terrible, just... well, not understanding what they should be doing. Their hearts are probably in the right place, but not correcting aggression because they keep them in their own yard doesn't make it okay. Aggression is really stressful for a dog and not pleasant to live with. (You already know all that.) I am not sure where to start with tips, but I can give you a few small things. The absolute biggest is that they make corrections when aggression is shown. Let them know that it does raise their dog's blood pressure. The dog is uncomfortable and stressed out and unhappy when it is aggressive. They don't need to yell at him. I would suggest they not raise their voice too loudly or use an angry tone when they correct him. In the cases I had, I often used a firm "Tsk!" sound and tapped the side of my foot against the dog. Not kicking. Literally very gently tapping. I would check to make sure that their dogs haven't bit them before suggesting that though, as sticking your foot towards an aggressive dog isn't really the safest thing in the world, heh. I never really had much of a dog fear, so I never minded. A great start for almost any training you're trying to accomplish is walking. If they can teach their dog to walk at a loose leash heel, it's a huge help for socializing from a distance. Walking the dog in the same vicinity as other dogs could be too close for comfort at the beginning, so have them move to the other side of the road and when their attention starts to wander to the other dog if there is any kind if aggressive reaction, like posturing or hair on their spine coming up, immediately use the correction and just repeat as often as their walks occur consistently until you can stay a little closer each time without the aggressive reaction. At the same time without stopping to pay attention to other dog, you can wave and use a calm and happy tone of voice to say hello and something that will feel kind if sappy to the pit, like "Oh, that is a nice leash they have over there." Now, I am going to be honest here, I can't tell you that the tone thing works, or that the words have any effect on the training. All I know is that when I did this, it seems to register with the dogs I was working with. It may have just been the general mood it displays, but they seemed to put together the appearance of another dog and the happy and calm voice and an association seemed to form. You'll be trying to work your way up to walking right by a dog without them getting worked up. Once you get to that point and practice for a while, you could start more socialization training. I am not a dog behaviorist, and I have had no "formal" training. I am sure there are studied methods for these things. I only know what I used and what worked for me. But I hope it helps in any way you can use the information. :) There really is too much to try and relay in a post like this, and I wouldn't know how to explain some of it in text without just showing or doing, but that's what I could think of that would maybe give them a first step in the right direction.

thanks, a lot! I really will try and get them to use some of the methods.. with lots of people around, honestly. or at least a stronger person walking the pit. they are STRONG dogs, as you probably already know! I hope it helps at least a little.. I would love for them to be at least okay with seeing another dog.. I can only imagine how miserable it would be to be on edge all the time... awful for the poor dogs :( oh and I really wasn't taking offense to that comment, I just wanted you to know I really don't hate them! I know it really wasn't their fault. just their upbringing. ya know? but seriously I can't thank you enough. :)

Yup better safe than sorry. I am just curious how did you cope with them after the dog killed your chihuahua? Report to anyone? Personally if anyone hurt my pets, no matter dog or cat, I might set their house on fire :P

yes, we did report it. not out of hate, but for the safety of the other dogs around here. the animal warden said it wasn't their fault since it happened so close to the yard.. /: I don't want them killed, by any means. just relocated to somewhere not around other animals.

I agree, Liv.

Even huskies can get mixed up about small dogs with their prey drive and though it definitely does not make it right or okay, I don't think that necessarily means the dogs should be put down. Accidents like that are tragic for everyone involved. It sounds like despite the lack of understanding about what aggression really is and how to handle it, these particular owners do care for their dogs and aren't callous or abusive. I don't have any idea how I would cope with another dog killing a dog of my own or someone else's, but at the same time, I am not really sure I could live with myself if I in turn set in motion a death sentence for it.

I don't know about that, Wendy :( if reported, the dogs would most likely be confiscated from the owner and then put in a shelter (if not destroyed on sight!). Noisy, stressful shelter environment would only add to the dog's stress and would trigger even more aggressive behavior. Then, I'm afraid, they would soon be deemed too aggressive to be adopted and PTS :( best solution here is to educate the owner (no matter how stubborn they are) and help them train their dogs.

I wish it was that easy... they're either really stubborn, or I'm a really bad talker. they just don't see a problem. they say the dogs are protecting their house, and it's good. [emoji19]

I agree, Liv.

Even huskies can get mixed up about small dogs with their prey drive and though it definitely does not make it right or okay, I don't think that necessarily means the dogs should be put down. Accidents like that are tragic for everyone involved. It sounds like despite the lack of understanding about what aggression really is and how to handle it, these particular owners do care for their dogs and aren't callous or abusive. I don't have any idea how I would cope with another dog killing a dog of my own or someone else's, but at the same time, I am not really sure I could live with myself if I in turn set in motion a death sentence for it.

I definitely don't want to see them killed! I would love for them to be more mannerly and calm, or be okay with other dogs. if not, just be relocated to an area not so populated with dogs and young children. we live right in the middle of town.

They are definitely strong, mine were actually "American Bullies", but it's only recognized by certain kennel clubs because in all reality it is just an off-shoot of the average Pitbull terrier. There are slight differences in structure, size, and temperament, but basically all the same. I used to weight pull with a few of mine, and they are all muscle. I hope it works out for you. I understand how stubborn some people can be, and I had to deal with a lot of "misinformed" owners when I had this breed. It's hard to convince someone they're doing something wrong when they genuinely don't see it.

yeah, I totally understand you. I wish we had someone around here like you to help everyone out. most people around here are either terrified of the breed, absolutely hate them, or only own them so they look "mean." which I hate all three opinions... :(

And sorry about the timing if that post. I was referring to what was said about coping with them after what happened to the chihuahua. I really need to learn how to quote. :(

haha, no it's okay! I just don't want any of you to think I'm a cold, heartless person. I really do understand it wasn't the dog's fault.. but I also understand without the proper training, it'll keep happening. :/

One of the reasons that "American bullies" even ended up being bred/turned into a breed was to get away from the word "Pitbull" and all it's stereotypes. But in saying that, they are also not for everyone. They're stubborn as heck and take serious determination to work with. And a lot of owners that want dogs for the wrong reasons are attracted to them, so they get them and the cycle starts all over again. It's difficult tone be an advocate for something that is constantly being contradicted by people everywhere that you can't control. I'll cross my fingers for you that talking to your neighbors and letting them know you think little things like some extra training would make everyone happy will start to make them come around.

haha, yeah.. there's not a lot of good word going around when it comes to pits:( agreed though, just like huskies aren't for everyone ! grr, I'm stubborn too ;) maybe I can help teach them (I hope)!

And thanks, I'm gonna need all the luck and help I can get, trust me! :P

Here in my city if you report to the city animal control, they will send clerks to investigate and give a warning first. If they get consecutive report, actions will be on the way. You can dig a little in the system and find out what you can do. An official warning from the city won't hurt their dog and would ring a bell for the stubborn owner.

Here in my city if you report to the city animal control, they will send clerks to investigate and give a warning first. If they get consecutive report, actions will be on the way. You can dig a little in the system and find out what you can do. An official warning from the city won't hurt their dog and would ring a bell for the stubborn owner.

they went over there and checked their property to make sure the dogs were properly contained.. which, at that time, they were. but I'm sure they did give them a warning, also. helped none :(

I don't think anyone on this planet can be convinced or educated. Your neighbor might be one of them. Especially after you said what happened to the cats, I don't think they are responsible people. You can try teach or talk theoretically, good luck ( might be useless or waste of time given history). Meanwhile hide your baby, I personally would be a responsible owner to my own pet first...... Huskies grow fast!

I don't think anyone on this planet can be convinced or educated. Your neighbor might be one of them. Especially after you said what happened to the cats, I don't think they are responsible people. You can try teach or talk theoretically, good luck ( might be useless or waste of time given history). Meanwhile hide your baby, I personally would be a responsible owner to my own pet first...... Huskies grow fast!

Amen to that! I wish they could be educated, the world would be a million times easier and less stressful. but you're probably right, they don't care a whole lot :( and it probably is a waste of time, to be honest.. but it's about all I can do.

trust me, I do hide her. she really probably needs more socialization, but it's scary getting her out there!

I wish it was that easy... they're either really stubborn, or I'm a really bad talker. they just don't see a problem. they say the dogs are protecting their house, and it's good. [emoji19]

:( then I guess they just don't care! If they do care, they'd be freaking out right now. Now I gotta agree with Wendy, there are indeed some people you just can't knock some sense into. These people are irresponsible, in the light of their unwillingness to recognize and address their Pits' problem. However I'd still advise against reporting them the second time. There's not much you can hope the animal control officer to do. Rarely would they say "aw, poor dogs they're just in the wrong hands! Don't worry I'll find them a better home!" =\ usually, they go all like "meh aggressive kill it" :(

Is there any breed-specific rescues around you? Maybe you can call them instead. They might not be able to hand out legal warnings, but they'd rather keep the dogs and retrain them than putting them to sleep. And yes, I am suggesting to get these dogs a new home. They're not doing any good under the wings of someone who does not care. No offense, but that's just truth :(

:( then I guess they just don't care! If they do care, they'd be freaking out right now. Now I gotta agree with Wendy, there are indeed some people you just can't knock some sense into. These people are irresponsible, in the light of their unwillingness to recognize and address their Pits' problem. However I'd still advise against reporting them the second time. There's not much you can hope the animal control officer to do. Rarely would they say "aw, poor dogs they're just in the wrong hands! Don't worry I'll find them a better home!" =\ usually, they go all like "meh aggressive kill it" :(

Is there any breed-specific rescues around you? Maybe you can call them instead. They might not be able to hand out legal warnings, but they'd rather keep the dogs and retrain them than putting them to sleep. And yes, I am suggesting to get these dogs a new home. They're not doing any good under the wings of someone who does not care. No offense, but that's just truth :(

I think you're right.. their hearts definitely aren't in the right place. granted, they have a 6 month old, so they are a bit busy, but that's no excuse to let their dogs run WILD. /: and you're right, I'm not gonna report them again. it didn't do any good, so no reason. I live in a small town, so help is difficult to get around here. *shrugs*

nope, sadly no breed- specific rescues. like I said, very small town with very few surroundings. :( we have one shelter, and it's for the entire county.

The best thing about a privately-owned breed-specific rescue is the amount of dedication they're willing to put into these dogs. Where are you at? Where is the *closest* breed-specific rescue located? I won't be surprised if they sent a volunteer down your area even if they're two hours away.