Nipping/biting at my jeans

Hi there . . . I'm new to this forum and this is my first post, so apologies if I am not posting in the correct location.

I have a 9-week old pup who is great. He's peeing or pooping or both pretty much every 1.5 hours right now, so I'm pretty worn down, but he's precious and I know that all the work I'm putting in now will pay off in spades later on.

The one thing that he's doing that I don't know what to do about (and can't find discussion of in any of my books) is nipping and biting my jeans (and if I'm not wearing jeans, he might go for sox, or even legs). He has his hyper moments, and when he gets really hyper, he'll latch on to my jeans and not let go, wanting to play tug. It's very playful behavior, not aggressive at all. Obviously, the correction for this is to ignore him, but he keeps biting and his teeth go into my leg and it REALLY hurts, so it is hard to ignore and not pull back. I realize that every time I pull back he is thinking that it is part of the game.

So what to do about this one? What is a good correction? I've tried asking him to sit and offering him a treat, which he does, but then after he takes the treat he just latches onto my leg again.

I welcome all wisdom from this list!

Thanks,

Jon

Ouch puppy teeth really hurt!

I wouldn't give a treat as you're in effect rewarding this behaviour. I would give a small (not hard) tap on the nose and say NO move the pup back walk away and don't give any attention. When he comes back and DOESNT tug your jeans etc, THEN give fuss and attention.

I always found ignoring the bad and praising the good worked the quickest and the best :)

Oh and welcome to the pack :D We need pics as well pwease :D :D

Take what Sarah has posted (added to rep), and just remember, to apply this frequently and consistently. Your pups will continue to push the envelope but eventually will get the message. This is all part of establishing the pack order. You have to be the alpha. Once they understand that, it will be much easier.

Hiya, Jon, welcome on board ... :wave:

I too agree with Sarah, a loud yelp (as their siblings would do) or stern NO! will startle the pup & stop him from what he's doing, then ignore him until he approaches & doesn't nip. Then you can praise & reward that behaviour. Keep repeating this & it won't take a husky long to get on to what is acceptable & what isn't. He's still very young & needs to be shown proper manners in the pack order.

Same for you, Rodrigo, start as you mean to go on & show who's boss or you'll be inviting trouble! :lol:

Good luck with this & please post up a pick or 3!! :D

Hi . . . thanks everyone for the advice. It does make sense, but the big question is, how to get the pup OFF the jeans. If you tap his nose and say no, he just continues to pull. He basically locks his teeth on the jeans and does not let go, and just keeps tugging. If I pull him or tug back, aren't I "playing" with him, and thus rewarding the behavior?

So yes, to the correction and ignoring, but how do I get him to let go of my jeans so that I can ignore him?

Thanks!

Oh . . . and here is a pic of the little bugger:

post-1085-13585946611016_thumb.jpg

Hi there . . . I'm new to this forum and this is my first post, so apologies if I am not posting in the correct location.

I have a 9-week old pup who is great. He's peeing or pooping or both pretty much every 1.5 hours right now, so I'm pretty worn down, but he's precious and I know that all the work I'm putting in now will pay off in spades later on.

The one thing that he's doing that I don't know what to do about (and can't find discussion of in any of my books) is nipping and biting my jeans (and if I'm not wearing jeans, he might go for sox, or even legs). He has his hyper moments, and when he gets really hyper, he'll latch on to my jeans and not let go, wanting to play tug. It's very playful behavior, not aggressive at all. Obviously, the correction for this is to ignore him, but he keeps biting and his teeth go into my leg and it REALLY hurts, so it is hard to ignore and not pull back. I realize that every time I pull back he is thinking that it is part of the game.

So what to do about this one? What is a good correction? I've tried asking him to sit and offering him a treat, which he does, but then after he takes the treat he just latches onto my leg again.

I welcome all wisdom from this list!

Thanks,

Jon

First of all welcome to the pack :)

Your little boys is gorgeous :D

Here is a site with some information about puppy biting which you may find of use: http://www.doggonesafe.com/stop%20puppy%20from%20biting.htm

best of luck

I would try redirecting him to something he can bite, like a tug. I find it helps to give them an outlet.

I would use something smaller and softer than the tug in the pic you posted, as it's way too big for him to grip properly and safely (if you want to teach him to tug with it).

Well actually, I kept at the nose-hitting business. One light but forceful stroke straight down. I wasn't doing it right before. When I did it this new way, the one firm stroke shocked him into letting go. I turned my back on him and he went NUTS! Growling and throwing a tantrum behind me. I completely ignored him. He calmed down and I praised him. We went through this rigamarole about 3 times.

Then, would you believe it? Next play session -- NO PANTS BITING! It's incredible -- how fast it worked. He's still rambunctious, obviously, but he is not grabbing at my pants.

I can't thank everyone enough!

On to the next challenge . . .

For Puppys, you can use the head shake, you must have a collor on the dog, get hold of the collor from the back of the head and give it a little shake (side to side), and say NO at the same time.

This is what the mother would do to tell off a puppy in the litter, if you have a tag on the collor, and it rattles this is even better.

This only works up to about while they are puppys.

Shrimpo