Ebay Hacked!

Dave

They are advising users to change their passwords

http://news.sky.com/story/1266135/ebay-users-urged-to-change-their-passwords

Ebay has asked its users to change their passwords following a cyberattack that compromised the site's database.

The database, which was compromised between late February and early March, involved hackers infiltrating the database by accessing the log-in details of eBay employees.

The database included eBay customers' names, encrypted password, email address, physical addresses, phone numbers and dates of birth. 

However the company says extensive tests carried out on its networks confirmed the breach had not resulted in any unauthorised activity for its users or compromise of their financial data. 

Ebay said it was "best practice" for users to change their passwords as it would "help enhance security for eBay users".

The company first learnt of the initial break-in two weeks ago, and a subsequent forensic analysis confirmed that a customer database had also been compromised.

The company said it has seen no increase in fraudulent activity since the hack. Paypal - which eBay owns - is unaffected, and it runs from a different database, according to the company.

"Working with law enforcement and leading security experts, the company is aggressively investigating the matter and applying the best forensics tools and practices to protect customers."

eBay customers who use the same password for other websites should change their passwords on all sites.

The new cyberattack is only the latest in a recent string of high profile incidents. In February, the details of 2,200 Tesco clubcards were leaked online. Last year, US retailer Target lost the credit card details of 40 million customers.

A recent Verizon report found 1,367 serious data breaches in 2013, dubbed "the year of the retailer breach", saying it was a year of "large-scale attacks on payment card systems."

Oh no!  Gonna have to think of another password now, what's the chances I'll forget it next time I try to log in, lol.

I think it's Jos who taught me this: make a pattern combining your favorite word/birthday date (something you can't possibly forget) and the site's name. That way you can easily have different password for different sites without forgetting any of 'em. For example I'm gonna make a password for husky-owners. My birthday is 27th May. So maybe I can make a pattern like this:

2705hO

so if it's ebay, it'd be:

2705eB

Oh no!  Gonna have to think of another password now, what's the chances I'll forget it next time I try to log in, lol.

I was thinking the exact same thing, I have so many bloody passwords to remember atm lol

I think it's Jos who taught me this: make a pattern combining your favorite word/birthday date (something you can't possibly forget) and the site's name. That way you can easily have different password for different sites without forgetting any of 'em. For example I'm gonna make a password for husky-owners. My birthday is 27th May. So maybe I can make a pattern like this:

2705hO

2705eB

Thanks liv, good idea!  Ooh is that your password?!  Ok, I'm off now to go log in as yourself and start posting!  :rofl:  :rofl: :rofl: 

2705hO

2705eB

Now, that just looks like a sneaky way to let everyone know her birthday's just around the corner so she can get more Husky Gifts!!  << tease >>

Since, like many of us, I use different machines depending on a lot of things, I use "LastPass" and every once in a while I "print" my passwords out just in case I "lose" them. 

Two things I like, first I can have unique passwords for all the many sites I visit and two, they have a "generate me a password" that generates a secure (hopefully) password.

Note, I don't use them (or anything except memory) for my bank, paypal, etc.  They also "log me in" to most sites, which makes it very convenient!

Thanks liv, good idea!  Ooh is that your password?!  Ok, I'm off now to go log in as yourself and start posting!  :rofl:  :rofl: :rofl:

You're helping me achieve the top poster title then? :cheeky: seriously though that example is way too simple. Make a more complicated pattern.