Early Years Tests.

Emma

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10732067/Reading-and-numbers-tests-for-two-year-olds.html

I'm not sure I like the way they appear to suggest that these tests are needed because there isn't much paperwork currently in place. I can assure you there is....that's why I disappear a bit from the forum in the last couple of weeks of each term. Because I'm buried in the stuff!!!

Each child is currently following the early years foundation stage from birth until they hit five years of age (sometime in reception class of school). There are seven aspects of learning that follow stepping stones with age guides. For example one of the goals is "copies own name" which falls into the 30-50 months bracket. For each of these aspects of learning there are subdivisions and every aspect is progress tracked termly by their keyworker, along with end of term reports for all aspects, and short, medium, and long term plans, daily observations in a variety of formats, group focus activities, to name but a few off the top of my head. This is extremely time consuming and requires meticulous planning and expertise. Rather than introduce a whole new testing format to the mix which is more about politics than anything else, I would of thought it more useful to ensure that the current system which has only recently been changed (again) is being correctly implemented and stop cutting back on SEN (special educational needs) provision every time the borough needs to save a few pennies.

We used to have an area senco who we call directly for advise on anything you needed but now you have to fill in and post off a form just to speak to one.

what, is this international "change your education system" day? :( Indonesia has also just changed its nation-wide educational system. We're leaning more to Western countries now with credit hours system and everything. I also heard next year there would be no national exam... which is horrifying because my school is very strict. It is notorious for creating tests much harder than the government-made national exam. Imagine the graduation percentage gap between "more lenient" schools and "stricter schools" D: 

In response to this "early tests"... I think they do have a good reason behind it but come on two years old? :( I thought I'm already extraordinary for starting school at three. 

Lol. Oh yes, there are good reasons for making sure children don't "slip through the net" in their education but what they're not telling you is that there are already incredibly strict measures in place, whereby no one has an excuse for not realising if a child has fallen behind in their education. Clearly though, some children are slipping past unnoticed which means that in some places the current system isn't being upheld correctly. Rather than jump straight into bringing out new systems, it would surely make sense to make sure that the one they already have is running effectively. It just sounds to me like instead of making sure effective practises are happening across the country, they want to add something more. That's great but if you're not doing the basics correctly then chances are you won't do the extra testing correctly either, meaning you haven't solved the problem at hand. Children will still slip through the cracks unnoticed. The only way you're going to stop that from happening is from making sure that staff are following the present procedures correctly and have access to the things they need, whether that be resources, or training.

I work in special education, the goal posts are constantly moving, the 2 nursey assessment classes spend friday afternoon just doing paperwork. We have paperwork for everything an all courses outside training is based in mainstream. The men in suits need to get out and visit the real world. I wont train up to teacher as already have toi much paperwork as a HLTA.