not sure how to word this

i live in south carolina and get no snow ...but kodah is so strong that i would like some advive on rigging up something for me to have him pull me...would need to know what kind of collar for him...how to train him to stay on the path and take me through bushes , ponds!!lol.....we have lots of ponds with paved paths he could run on with me...would be great exercise and bonding for both of us...i cant run with him due to having bad knee.....so i am open to all ideas

i live in south carolina and get no snow ...but kodah is so strong that i would like some advive on rigging up something for me to have him pull me...would need to know what kind of collar for him...how to train him to stay on the path and take me through bushes , ponds!!lol.....we have lots of ponds with paved paths he could run on with me...would be great exercise and bonding for both of us...i cant run with him due to having bad knee.....so i am open to all ideas

you can teach the commands on walks, then you'll need to get a harness, not a collar, as the harness spreads the pressure from the weight around more of his body as opposed to right on his neck. the next part seems to be full of options... you can buy a real sled dog gang line for one dog, or if you leash is long enough you can wrap it around the stem on the bike and then hook it to the harness. if you buy the real gang line you can get them with a bungee section so that there is less of a jolt on take off.

i haven't started running Desna from the bike yet, but you can get the basic harness at a petsmart or similar pet shop. should be good for a while, i'd imagine if you were going on longer runs it might be nicer for your dog to get a real harness as they are built for the dogs comfort while working.

Ross

edit: to add more info...

and through my readings so far... the paved path idea isn't the best, you should look for gravel, dirt, grass... softer surfaces. pavement and running can mess up your dogs gait (sp?) and injure ankles/shins/joints.

Hes till quite little isnt he? The official adivise is that their not sposed to pull anything or run for long periods of time till they are over a year old as their bones and muscles are still developing and can be damaged by running and pulling to early.... however if/when hes old enough you need to start training him your basic musher commands while walking so he learns before hes pulled you into a pond! Lol! So the basics are "Hike" to start running "Gee" to take you right, "Haw" to take you left, "On by" to carry on by something distracting, and "Wooh" to stop (Although I'd recomend that last one as the most important!) Then when hes got the basic idea of what your shouting him to do then you need to get him an x-back harness which is exactly as it sounds a harness that fits over his head and criss crosses down his back and under his tummy and I'd recomend some sort of bungee cord to attach to what ever hes going to pull as it will take out some of the jerky movement when he starts and stops. After that its pretty much up to you what you hook him up to but some popular ones are you on rollerskates/baldes, you on a bike or a scooter if its just him pulling or if you get really in to it and get more than just him pulling you can get a "rig" thats like a really big tricycle you hook them up to and stand on the back and they pull you along!

Hope thats helpfull, Good luck!! :D

if ur running him dont use a normal harness u need an x-back harness like this - http://www.realdog.c...ages/x-back.jpg

some of the things i read have said you don't need a full x-back for pulling a bike because it sets the pulling angle too flat, and that you should look for a harness that has the attachment point closer to the shoulder blades or middle of the back. http://www.dogscooter.com/whichharness.htm this site talks about which harness' should be used for which type of pulling.

no i just havent put up new pics yet..hes about 50 lbs...and when we walk and he notices something he takes me for a run!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hes till quite little isnt he? The official adivise is that their not sposed to pull anything or run for long periods of time till they are over a year old as their bones and muscles are still developing and can be damaged by running and pulling to early.... however if/when hes old enough you need to start training him your basic musher commands while walking so he learns before hes pulled you into a pond! Lol! So the basics are "Hike" to start running "Gee" to take you right, "Haw" to take you left, "On by" to carry on by something distracting, and "Wooh" to stop (Although I'd recomend that last one as the most important!) Then when hes got the basic idea of what your shouting him to do then you need to get him an x-back harness which is exactly as it sounds a harness that fits over his head and criss crosses down his back and under his tummy and I'd recomend some sort of bungee cord to attach to what ever hes going to pull as it will take out some of the jerky movement when he starts and stops. After that its pretty much up to you what you hook him up to but some popular ones are you on rollerskates/baldes, you on a bike or a scooter if its just him pulling or if you get really in to it and get more than just him pulling you can get a "rig" thats like a really big tricycle you hook them up to and stand on the back and they pull you along!

Hope thats helpfull, Good luck!! biggrin.gif