Electric Shock

mydiamond

OK this is probably the 15th time I got zapped by my own laptop in the past 60 minutes. My desk has this semicircle leather part where I put my laptop on and the rest of the table is wood. My laptop is charged to "one of these things" placed on the ground. What am I doing wrong? Every time I landed a finger on, err... every non-keyboard part I got zapped! 

post-2850-0-04921000-1394612346.jpg

My battery is currently 36%. The charger is laying lifeless next to me and I'm staring hesitantly towards it. I then shift my gaze to "one of those things". Right now, the thought of screaming "which one of you betrayed me??" is incredibly tempting. 

Just saying. 

There is something really wrong there Liv...you have more then likely a lose connection somewhere...if you take the extention out of the 2 and plug the laptop directly into the wall does it still do it? if so then your charger is at fault and that needs to be checked by a proffesional ...if not then you need to change your extention cable....

now being a girl i don't really know about this stuff but isn't that something to do with it not being earthed properly?

what's "earthed"? Sorry :shrug:

There is something really wrong there Liv...you have more then likely a lose connection somewhere...if you take the extention out of the 2 and plug the laptop directly into the wall does it still do it? if so then your charger is at fault and that needs to be checked by a proffesional ...if not then you need to change your extention cable....

no it does not zap me if I plug it into a real power socket :( parents are gone though will need to wait for them to come home

well throw the extention cord thingy in the bin then and do not use that any more...

aw snap it's an expensive one too! :(

I just moved the charger to another socket in the, err.. "extension cord thingy" and so far no zaps yet. I did realize the previous socket I was using is freakishly weird though. Each socket has its own switch in my "extension cord thingy" and the switch in the previous socket will not turn off  :huh: do I still need to throw this thing away? 

EDIT (after reading Dunc's post) so Rob was right. Switching sockets in extension cord does not change anything. I still get zapped! I'm not keen on the idea of typing while keeping every other part of my hand floating in the air, but I also can't afford to lose this extension cord. In the end, a pair of sandals is the way to go :shrug: 

no..  :o would it change anything at all?

This happened to me years ago and everyone thought I was going mad but before I tell you get rid of the extension like you been told its not earthing :(

I would be about 13 ( yeah yeah long time ago ) We was in a hotel in Spain and the the foyer there was a jukebox ( Look it up if you don't know what one is :P  ) anyway this thing had big buttons on it to select the records ( pictures will follow :lol:  ) every-time I selected a song I would get a shock off this thing so I went and told dad like you do...... :o

Drag dad over who as been sat at the poolside with his beer and don't really wanna move to get him to try this beast that kept attacking me  :o and sure enough he pressed the buttons and nothing happens so I tried it and noting I could not believe it :o I get clipped round the ear ( they did that then ) and off dad goes muttering leaving me stood there rubbing me ear sulking  :(  Got over it after 5 hours ( well 5 mins really but I was 13 ) and went to put a record on the beast and guess what NOTHING no shock just music are well off I go to play sod it ( Yeah I was learning to swear well I was 13 :P 

Sometime later after playing round the pool for a while ( heart-rate back to normal  and ear stopped smarting I go back to putting a record on like you do happy days now dad sorted it WRONG I get blasted and it knocked me on my arse I was not a happy bunny I can tell you  :angry: I got up a stood there looking at it thinking words I never said yet but getting very close to doing I can tell you so what did I do ? go for dad ? sod that he will just clip the other ear ( funny he never used to do the same ear twice in a row )  :rolleyes: nope I'll try it again because last time it didn't do it twice in a row so it won't get me again ( see 13 year old logic ) WRONG I get the belt from hell end up back on my arse crying shite that one hurt ( yeah yeah I learning new words I know ) 

By now I have a small crowd round me asking if I was OK what was the problem and I tell them ALL of um at the top of my crying voice I was not a happy bunny  :( then a man came over from the reception desk and waffled some shite I could not understand in Spanish and I tried to explain what had happened you know what he did ? he laughed at me ( if I'd been 30 I think I'd of been doing life now in a Spanish jail IT WAS NOT FUNNY you ARSE !!! he was pointing at my feet which like yours where bare and I was earthing the jukebox every time I used it the one and only time it had not got me was the time I bought my dad over and being a good parent he told me to put something on my feet before we left the poolside  :facepalm:

Hope you enjoyed my little story and get something on you're bloody feet ( as my dad would say )  :rofl:

LMAO loving your story Dunc :lol: Indonesian culture regards wearing footwear in the house as rude (I know, we're odd. You're supposed to take off your shoe before entering house, or immediately take them off once inside) but now that I am home alone, let's forget that for a while :lol: 

LMAO loving your story Dunc :lol: Indonesian culture regards wearing footwear in the house as rude (I know, we're odd. You're supposed to take off your shoe before entering house, or immediately take them off once inside) but now that I am home alone, let's forget that for a while :lol:

Glad you liked my little story  :rofl: