Any Advice Welcome?! Recurring Fish Butt, The Dreaded Anal Gland Problems!

Mina

Any advice or opinions welcome.

My husky is getting what can only be termed as "fish butt" on a recurring basis. It is truly revolting and I'm sure uncomfortable for Kika my husky. This has been going on since September 2012. Initially, it happened about every 7 weeks now it is happening every 2 and we are having it extracting them and it's driving me and her nuts!

We took her to the vet whom wasn't particularly interested in the frequency, we took her back again and he extracted them and put her on a course of antibiotics. Since May 2013 we changed her kibble fish oil diet to a diet of raw meat (beef,lamb and chicken), fresh vegetables with skins for fibre, some dry kibble and the odd raw turkey neck or wing. So the diet is not the issue.

We will obviously take her to the vets again despite their disinterest but in the meantime does anyone have any experience or advice?

post-11185-0-73076200-1387493491_thumb.j

My boy has anal gland problems but not as often , my vet told me to give him fibre in his diet to help firm him up but he won't really touch it , I'd give that a try if she'll eat it tho u can pick up bags ov fibre from health food shops, surprised your vets not concerned tho that's really bad

My boy Keiko had this a few months ago. My best friend is a vet nurse, so she did the deed of expressing them!! She suggested feeding fibre too and said to get bran flakes (breakfast cereal) to mix with his dinner. I have done that ever since and the problem has not come back :) xx

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I'm now on the second pack of Kellogg's all bran and the fish butt is back! Her diet is better than mine it's ridiculous!

I think I'm just going to have to make the vet listen and take it seriously because I just can't take it!

• 8 years later...

took my dog to vet other day because she had blood on her back legs, found her licking her bottom alot looked at her bum looked swollen and sore. The vet said it was anal glands and tried to express them but she said one of the anal glands would not express and keira was in alot of discomfort the vet worried me saying she didnt think it was anal glands and might be a tumor just wondered if anyone has took there dog to the vet and they have been unable to express the anal gland without sedation she said it is as big as a plum and as sent her home on antibiotic to be seen again in 10 days.         thanks lesley