Husky Rescues (Breed Specific Rescues)

Arooroomom

What do you guys think about Siberian Husky Rescues? Or breed specific rescues in general.

I feel as if they are far too picky and quick to make judgments. Before i had gotten any of my Huskies, I tried applying to adopt one from the rescue down here in fl. (www.sibrescue.com) I was denied over and over saying there was no way i was capable of adopting from them, even after I had gotten Mickey and became fluent in Husky. And now here I sit sharing my home with the 3 luckiest Huskies I know.

I know they want to make sure the dog is in its home forever, but sometimes they take things too far. Even Golden Retriever Rescues told us no (long ago, before i fell in love with my Huskies.) The reasons varied. People are astonished when I tell them Husky Rescue denied me. And the rescue is amazed when I Volunteer at their events that they had denied me :blink:

What do you guys think about them? Unfortunately for most of these rescues, they're now hard pressed with lots of dogs being abandoned, not many being adopted out, and foster homes dwindling.

Guest snowdog

can i ask the reasons you were given? i was turned down for adopting a huskamute this is him ice tn_Ice-Huskamute-01-10-09b_1_.jpg

from kings lynn rescue,

still gutted, but i reckon if i was supposed to rehome him he would be here with me now, i now have my pup shadow so its turned out how it should have, anyway the reason and the only reason i was given is that my dogs are not spayed, ice was being castrated anyway before being rehomed, so this policy they have does not make sence to me at all, i could understand if ice hadnt been spayed as there would be the risk of unwanted matings (maybe not unwanted on neeko's part or ice lol) but this was the only reason they had, and even they said it doesnt make sence but its our policy and we are not prepared to bend it, just wondered what reasons you sere given, they have a strict regime in place to safeguard the dogs being rehomed over and over again, and i would imagine to safeguard the family the animal is going to if it is not quite right for the lifestyle they lead, but sometimes i think maybe some policies should be looked into as i think some dogs could be missing out on a really good home.

It depends what their reasons were for saying no.

I may be too picky, but most rescue dogs have come from bad situations, and the last thing any rescue wants is for a dog to bounce back. However, common sense really needs to prevail, and not just have blanket policies I think. Case in point, I had a call a couple of weeks ago from a young couple who wanted to adopt a dog. They have a GSD/greyhound cross that they adopted from a French pound 3 years ago. He isn't neutered, because thats not the policy in France. Because of that, they were turned down by a Dublin pound. Then they were turned down by a couple of other rescues because they live in an apartment, and have no garden. However, after talking to them a few times on the phone, I thought I'd give them a chance and arranged a homecheck. My homechecker reported that it couldn't be a better home, their dog is very well looked after, no doggie odour in the apartment (which there would be if the dog was never walked, and so had to toilet in the home) and she thought they would give a dog a great life. So they drove the 6 hour round trip on Saturday to come and see me, and went home with a little husky cross, Kapik. They have to make the effort to walk their dog(s) every day because they don't have a garden. I wonder how many dogs from the other rescues have gone to their new homes and now spend most of their time out in the garden on their own?

The same dog had another family interested in her. My homechecker though just felt it wasn't the right home for her - they are very good friends of mine and had met the dog a few times. Nothing tangible, just a feeling that they got, but as I trust them implicitly, I went with their feeling.

So, yes, rescues definitely need to have policies, and to be picky, but they also need to be open minded and realise that just because a home may fail on one thing, doesn't mean it won't be a fantastic home.

They didn't like that we had never had our OWN husky (family pets didn't count apparently nor did extensive research). They they didn't like that we lived in an Apartment even though we took Mickey out for walks 3 times a day plus the dog Park for another 2-3 hours. Then they said our 6 foot shadowbox fence wouldn't cut it. After that god was probably sick of their shenanigans and sent me Cheyenne and Mishka. They had never visited our homes. It was just a straight cut and paste policy.

Guest snowdog

no i didnt get home visit, didnt really get foot through the door once they knew the dogs werent spayed, thing is policies are in place, ive found that one policie wont necessarily be in place at another rescue, something i hadnt realised before, just ashame it was that policy that they had in kings lynn, but then again i have shadow and you have Cheyenne and Mishka so alls well, i think its a good thing they have policies in place i would be concerned if they didnt, even though i still think this particular policy doesnt make sence, all the others do so a bit of tweeking maybe, but for the most part i support the work they do and the procedures they followjust wish they could have done a home visit before knocking me back. But i will say again i have shadow now and love him sooooooo much x

I'm the secretary of The Siberian Husky Welfare Association (UK), which is by far the biggest and (unfortunately) busiest Siberian Husky rescue organisation in the UK.

This is our take on the situation.

When an owner relinquishes a dog to us, we have a serious and binding responsibility to that dog. Some dogs come in to us due to unforeseen changed circumstances - losing a house, serious illness etc etc. The majority come in because, for whatever reason, the owners have decided they just don't want the dog any more. A large minority of these should never have been sold to these individuals in the first place - they are often ill-prepared for any kind of dog ownership, let alone a husky. In the vast majority of situations, the "problems" are not caused by the dogs, but by the behaviour of the owner.

Because of this, I make no apologies for saying that we are extremely choosy about who adopts our dogs. The very last thing we want is for a dog we rehome to end up back in rescue because we made a mistake in assessing a prospective new owner. Again we make no apologies for saying that our priority is not the new owners, but the dogs. If we upset a few people along the way by refusing their applications, this is a very small price to pay to ensure that our dogs go to the best possible homes.

Having said that, our assessment is based largely on a home visit and discussion with the family about their situation and their understanding of the breed. No decision is made without meeting the applicants, their family and their existing pets (unless, of course they make it clear on their application form that they have no fences, no private garden, live on a main road, work all day, have a houseful of cats and claim that they are the best dog trainers in the world who can get their husky to walk to heel with perfect recall inside a week biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif.

Most of the Siberian Huskies which come into rescue (99%) are bred by less than ethical breeders who couldn't care less where their pups end up as long as they have pocketed the money. If rescues followed the same policy, they would be no better than the breeders. It must always be the dogs that come first, and if some humans get offended along the way, sorry, but tough!rolleyes.gif

Mick

Guest snowdog

I'm the secretary of The Siberian Husky Welfare Association (UK), which is by far the biggest and (unfortunately) busiest Siberian Husky rescue organisation in the UK.

This is our take on the situation.

When an owner relinquishes a dog to us, we have a serious and binding responsibility to that dog. Some dogs come in to us due to unforeseen changed circumstances - losing a house, serious illness etc etc. The majority come in because, for whatever reason, the owners have decided they just don't want the dog any more. A large minority of these should never have been sold to these individuals in the first place - they are often ill-prepared for any kind of dog ownership, let alone a husky. In the vast majority of situations, the "problems" are not caused by the dogs, but by the behaviour of the owner.

Because of this, I make no apologies for saying that we are extremely choosy about who adopts our dogs. The very last thing we want is for a dog we rehome to end up back in rescue because we made a mistake in assessing a prospective new owner. Again we make no apologies for saying that our priority is not the new owners, but the dogs. If we upset a few people along the way by refusing their applications, this is a very small price to pay to ensure that our dogs go to the best possible homes.

Having said that, our assessment is based largely on a home visit and discussion with the family about their situation and their understanding of the breed. No decision is made without meeting the applicants, their family and their existing pets (unless, of course they make it clear on their application form that they have no fences, no private garden, live on a main road, work all day, have a houseful of cats and claim that they are the best dog trainers in the world who can get their husky to walk to heel with perfect recall inside a week biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif.

Most of the Siberian Huskies which come into rescue (99%) are bred by less than ethical breeders who couldn't care less where their pups end up as long as they have pocketed the money. If rescues followed the same policy, they would be no better than the breeders. It must always be the dogs that come first, and if some humans get offended along the way, sorry, but tough!rolleyes.gif

Mick

hi mick, agree 100% but do you know why the policy exists that castrated dogs can not be homed with unspayed dogs and bitches, and whats your take on it, i understand the rescue centres are there for the dogs not the prospective recuers although i do think some level of respect is deserved as they are after all trying in some way to help a dog rather than just buy one , i have no problem with ebing turned down apart from the fact this policy was the only reason i wasnt succesful, does the recue centre you have mentined above have that same policy?

It must always be the dogs that come first, and if some humans get offended along the way, sorry, but tough!rolleyes.gif

I agree - the dogs must always come first, added to rep :up:

I think it's great that you don't make a decision until you've me the prospective owners.

hi mick, agree 100% but do you know why the policy exists that castrated dogs can not be homed with unspayed dogs and bitches, and whats your take on it, i understand the rescue centres are there for the dogs not the prospective recuers although i do think some level of respect is deserved as they are after all trying in some way to help a dog rather than just buy one , i have no problem with ebing turned down apart from the fact this policy was the only reason i wasnt succesful, does the recue centre you have mentined above have that same policy?

No we don't have that policy, and in any case, all the dogs we rehome (unless there are specific health or age reasons) are neutered before they go to their new homes. I could understand it if centres were rehoming un-neutered dogs/bitches, but it doesn't make a lot of sense otherwise.

Of course genuine prospective adopters should be treated with respect, that goes without saying. We do get some muppets though. We had one woman who wanted an un-neutered bitch so she could breed it with her German Shepherd and she was most upset when we refused her application.

Mick

Guest snowdog

No we don't have that policy, and in any case, all the dogs we rehome (unless there are specific health or age reasons) are neutered before they go to their new homes. I could understand it if centres were rehoming un-neutered dogs/bitches, but it doesn't make a lot of sense otherwise.

Of course genuine prospective adopters should be treated with respect, that goes without saying. We do get some muppets though. We had one woman who wanted an un-neutered bitch so she could breed it with her German Shepherd and she was most upset when we refused her application.

Mick

good to see you do not have that policy, as i.m.o it is a strange policy given the fact that the dogs are being castrated, i fully agree, i work with the public and can agree 100% that their are some really odd folk about, and yes these kind of people who are not genuinley interested in rescuing should be given no more of your time, shame i may have been able to give a rescue dog a home if i had approached the rescue centre you are involved with then, i am still interested in rehoming maybe in the future as i do have the room, but i would have to rehome a pup as i would have to be careful introducing an older dog into an already happy pack, would not want to disrupt the pack i have x

Sadly, i have to say that unethical breeders are a serious and exploding problem. With so many folks being downsized from jobs or whatever, they turn to their beloved pets to help bring in money...then, badda bing badda boom, more pups and dogs in the rescues in the shelter. This sort of thing is also really bad in hawaii, only instead of the husky rescue- make it pit bull and pit mixes in rescues and shelters. It never fails to amaze me how many pit pups i see up for sale, who end up in shelters and rescues within 6 weeks after they are sold. Huskies are fast becoming an issue as well with all the folks buying up entire litters (on other islands) and then (bringing the pups here) selling each pup to the highest bidder. They dont care what happens to the dog so long as they make twice as much money as they paid.

Obviously the rescues here don't do much looking into the families besides looking at the 2 page application and deciding yay or nay. It really boils my blood when they don't even believe the fact that they denied me.

Huskies are getting dumped left and right where we live. I used to work at the Humane Society in my county and we would have 2-3 a week come in(that's high for florida). I finally quit when they adopted out a bred-for-size wild mouthy 9 month old male who had never lived in a house or acquired any basic human manners to a family with 3 kids under 5. They returned him the next day claiming he "bit" one of them. He was euthanized 10 days later as per our counties "dangerous dog" policy.

If i was given an adequate chance (as you stated in your explanation Mick)things would have been different i'm sure, but at the time they wouldn't give me the time of day. We never even spoke on the phone.

Guest snowdog

its a sad fact now that all breeds of dog are getting put in to rescue centres usually through no fault of there own like i say i agree with policies for the most part and 100% understand why they are put in place, but i think they need tweeking just a tad.

Guest snowdog

Obviously the rescues here don't do much looking into the families besides looking at the 2 page application and deciding yay or nay. It really boils my blood when they don't even believe the fact that they denied me.

Huskies are getting dumped left and right where we live. I used to work at the Humane Society in my county and we would have 2-3 a week come in(that's high for florida). I finally quit when they adopted out a bred-for-size wild mouthy 9 month old male who had never lived in a house or acquired any basic human manners to a family with 3 kids under 5. They returned him the next day claiming he "bit" one of them. He was euthanized 10 days later as per our counties "dangerous dog" policy.

If i was given an adequate chance (as you stated in your explanation Mick)things would have been different i'm sure, but at the time they wouldn't give me the time of day. We never even spoke on the phone.

same here i never got chance to speak it was all emails at least like mick says they will meet the people.