Scootering

I found that full body armour is useful for protection against posts,trees and other inanimate objects, didn't find out till too late though. blink.gif

Have you tried Culpeppers and Snowpaw Store ? I use both these sites.

You can buy a harness that is specifically made for scootering or an X back harness. Blue prefers the scootering harness as she has this thing about things touching her backside.

Hope this helps a little.

My husband wants a scooter for Christmas so he can take Sabre out with it, but can you tell me what else we need aswell, I know we need another harness but what type and where from?

Any help on equipment and websites would be greatly appreciated.

Had my scooter now for 2 weeks, got it from

http://www.scootmountain.com/

£165, and delivery was quick, I went for this one as it has shocks on the front, but disks all round, easy to put together as well.

Harness I ordered one from e-bay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/X-Back-Racing-Sled-Dog-Harness-Husky-Malamute-Samoyed_W0QQitemZ280418223204QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs?hash=item414a3a8464#ht_3142wt_1165

£12, and very good, and fits well.

The tow line I made up myself and had a carab already.

Max is getting used to it OK, although you do have to watch him as he will stop sudden for a wee, but we are getting better.

At the moment he is OK to go round the block about a mile, at a time, if we go further he will only walk, but its like us you have to build it up slowly.

Went for this as if you do get pulled off, not so far to fall, and you are already standing up.

Have also got a high vis vest for me and Max, and a bike light on the front of the scooter.

It is a bit of hard work to start with, but when max does start to go, we must be doing 20 mp/h.

Will try and get some photos for you as well.

If you have any Q let me know,,, its great fun, and max likes it as well, so we both get out.

PS I can't run myself now as have a bit of Arthritis in my hips now, to much abuse of the old body, so this is a good way to still work him.

Al

Had my scooter now for 2 weeks, got it from

http://www.scootmountain.com/

£165, and delivery was quick, I went for this one as it has shocks on the front, but disks all round, easy to put together as well.

Harness I ordered one from e-bay

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...#ht_3142wt_1165

£12, and very good, and fits well.

The tow line I made up myself and had a carab already.

Max is getting used to it OK, although you do have to watch him as he will stop sudden for a wee, but we are getting better.

At the moment he is OK to go round the block about a mile, at a time, if we go further he will only walk, but its like us you have to build it up slowly.

Went for this as if you do get pulled off, not so far to fall, and you are already standing up.

Have also got a high vis vest for me and Max, and a bike light on the front of the scooter.

It is a bit of hard work to start with, but when max does start to go, we must be doing 20 mp/h.

Will try and get some photos for you as well.

If you have any Q let me know,,, its great fun, and max likes it as well, so we both get out.

PS I can't run myself now as have a bit of Arthritis in my hips now, to much abuse of the old body, so this is a good way to still work him.

Al

Thanks for that - very useful. we are just going to get a cheaper scooter off ebay to start with, although my hubby will have to lose some weight as it says 12 stone max! Looks like we'll be getting the harness off there as well. Added to rep.

Be careful with scooters that don't have brushbows, you really have to watch the line very carefully to ensure it doesn't get tangled in the front wheel. If making your own line as well, make sure that you put a bit of bungee in there to cut down on the strain on the dog when they start off.

I would always recommend a helmet as wellbiggrin.gif

Most important thing of all

Enjoy

I got mine 2nd hand - hardly even used from a musher, it's a pawtrekker http://www.pawtrekker.com/default.asp I wouldn't buy a brand new expensive one for your first one though cause it's more than likely to get battered and bruised - bit like it's owner :P

Lines, I can't for the life of me think where I got mine from but they're great - you will need a connector if running more than one dog - it links from one dog to the other so they don't fork off

X Back harnesses I got from here as miles cheaper than snowpaws store http://www.snopeak.com/

I'd also advise a good collar as well so you can put a lead on them as no where really to put a normal lead on the x back harness - say if you're walking them to the lines, it's safer having them on a lead than just holding the harness with your hand

Not yet, that is hubby's job. Luckily we have a reasonable size field where they keep the grass cut (as it is the local showground) just at the back of our house so I think he's going to give it a go on there first and also we have a greenway which is very straight which might be good for starting off onbiggrin.gif

Have you taught the basic commands for left / right and more importantly STOP!! lol

I use the same commands as for obedience training, the only additional one is to get him going, and for that I am saying "go on then", but it's more in the tone of the word then the word, as with most commands.

Yes the Brush bar would help, but I have found just keep a close eye on what he is doing.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on, I'm still learning myself..

Al