Makita is sick :(

Hey guys,

Kita just went to the vet for her nonstop coughing, runny nose, lethargy, and lack of appetite. It seems she has an Upper Respiratory Infection. She's on two weeks of meds twice a day. The vet said it's not uncommon and I shouldn't worry, but I'm a nervous mommy, and I can't help it! Did any of your puppies have this issue? Is there anything special I can do to get her to eat or build a little bit of energy? All she does is sleep and cough. It's scaring the heck out of me!

Thanks everyone!

Jess

I've not had to deal with respiratory problems with any of my dogs for a long time. But the antibiotics should start making a difference within a day or two, to the point where you should notice some improvement. Make sure you follow the schedule until all the meds are gone. I'd not worry about getting food down if she's not hungry. The best thing is rest. If you don't notice any improvement by the weekend, I'd give the vet a call. Zoya sends Husky Hugs.

Agree with what Sarah said about the bathroom (add to rep) its good for clearing the airways to help them breath better, try not to worry to much let the medication take its course, if you are really worried try hand feeding her to see if she will take food even if its a pinch of food at a time, but dont force it as she might just throw it back up, and always make sure she gets her fluid she can go days without food but not drinking her water can be fatal, so i dont know what she is like with her water at the moment but if you feel she is not drinking enough buy a syringe like you get eith kids medicine and squirt some into her mouth..........

Hope she gets better soon, remember to finish the course of AB's even if she seems better before they are finished. If she is coughing up mucous try patting the sides of her chest, this will loosen any c**p in her lungs and encourage her to clear it from her body. Putting her in a steamy bathroom is a great idea (well done Sarah) as this also loosens anything in her lungs. If you have to remove any sticky gunge from her mouth remember to wear gloves as she could pass the infection on to you. Try a little Vicks vaporub just under her nose as this will help to keep the sinuses clear and help her breathing.

Sorry if I am trying to teach my granny to suck eggs but only trying to help.

aww poor thing :( Lots of husky hugs coming your way.

If you smoke - don't smoke anywhere near her as this will make it worse, let her in the bathroom after a shower when it's misty from the hot water, that should help as well :)

Sorry to hear Makita is a feeling under the weather :( Big get well pawhus for Makita x x x x get well quick

Great advice Sarah Added to Rep :151:

Hope she gets better soon, remember to finish the course of AB's even if she seems better before they are finished. If she is coughing up mucous try patting the sides of her chest, this will loosen any c**p in her lungs and encourage her to clear it from her body. Putting her in a steamy bathroom is a great idea (well done Sarah) as this also loosens anything in her lungs. If you have to remove any sticky gunge from her mouth remember to wear gloves as she could pass the infection on to you. Try a little Vicks vaporub just under her nose as this will help to keep the sinuses clear and help her breathing.

Sorry if I am trying to teach my granny to suck eggs but only trying to help.

Good Advice Chris, did not think of the vicks rub, add to rep

Maybe vicks rub is a little to strong and will sting and burn her nose but you could always try Calpul vapor plug-

calpolvaporplug5refill.jpg

By upthehammers77

I use this when my lille boy is unwell and finding it hard to breath at night, I plug into the socket nearest to his bed and it fills the room up with a vicks vapor and comes with a hady night light on it aswell. Calpul vapor plug is safe to use on Babies from 12weeks so im sure it should be ok for Makita if you plug it into the room she spends most time in :)

Calpul vapor plug comes with 5 refills I think??? and if you run out you can buy more. I would defo suggest this as its always hady to keep for your self aswell if you get a cold or unwell. I got mine from ASDA for about £5.99 and refills for about £3.99 but you can get it from places like Boots & superdrug.

Hope this helps x x x

Hey everyone! Thanks for all of your great advice. I'm happy to report she's improving quickly. She jogged over to see me when I got home, her tail wagging and her eyes wide open. She was jumping and nipping, and I couldn't be happier for her. She spent all yesterday scarfing food, and we let her eat as much as she was willing to. She still has a runny nose and is coughing a lot, but the meds are definitely helping. We have a vet in our building, and she came over with lots of good advice and a humidifier for Kita's room. We've been bringing her into the bathroom every time we take a shower (she loves being in there anyway, I think it's the cold tile). She's regaining more of her lovely personality every day. I'm so relieved!!

Thanks for your guys! I'll keep you updated on her progress.