Windows 7 £56.75

Marc

If you want an upgrade for your current windows to the new windows 7 you can get one for £56.75. And its the very top edition (Ultimate) provided it is for someone in education... Mines for my daughter .... obviously ... lol

http://www.rm.com/shops/thebasement/Range.aspx?nguid=480909c5-102c-4700-8739-f3feedbb6a6d

Is Windows 7 worth having? The versions seem to be getting worse as they come out. I hated XP until Vista came out, but once I had tried Vista, XP seemed great in comparison. The only Windows I ever really liked was 98 (the final version not the glitch-filled early versions).

Mick

In installed Windows 7 Pro (OEM version) shortly after it was released. I really like it. It seems very stable and all my programs (the ones I've installed) work fine. The only issue I have is my card reader is not recognized nor is there a driver that will work with Windows 7. Oh, one other issue was my fire wire port. I had to install the legacy driver for it to work. Other than that, it's much better than XP and the previous versions. Can't speak to Vista.

Is Windows 7 worth having? The versions seem to be getting worse as they come out. I hated XP until Vista came out, but once I had tried Vista, XP seemed great in comparison. The only Windows I ever really liked was 98 (the final version not the glitch-filled early versions).

Mick

I just got a new comp with Windows 7 x64 and yes its alot better OP but one thing I would say check out before you do is all your other hardware ie printers scanners well enything you plug in or if your keeping your old comp and just putting the OP on any cards ie graphics sound, well you get the idea windows as a checker for you and you can go to the sperate makers websites see if they do the drivers.

For most I'd say upgrade to the x32 version if I had my laser printer would still be working :(

Early days but I'd say this is the best OP microsoft have ever made :)

ye i have the same problem mazz my card reader is also not recognized, have came across a few software issues but i run them in compatibility mode and they moslty work fine, if you only have 2GB of RAM or less i would go for the 32bit version but if you have around 4GB of RAM i would defo go for the 64bit version.

Does it work with Adobe Acrobat? There were real problems with Vista with Acrobat!

Mick

It does work with the current release of Adobe Acrobat, which is 9, from what I've been told. I don't have any first-hand experience. Previous versions, there are some issues from what I understand. Some of those relate to using the PDF Printer driver. As I've been told by our IT deparment, earlier releases of Adobe Acrobat (pre-9), you cannot make a pdf file from a separate sofware package. The PDF Printer will simply not work in either Vista or Windows 7.

I've got Acrobat Reader 9, and it works flawlessly. Of course, that's just the Reader, and not the full program.

Mick

Def worth having. If your on Vista at current Id almost go as far as to say its a must LOL.

I just got a new comp with Windows 7 x64 and yes its alot better OP but one thing I would say check out before you do is all your other hardware ie printers scanners well enything you plug in or if your keeping your old comp and just putting the OP on any cards ie graphics sound, well you get the idea windows as a checker for you and you can go to the sperate makers websites see if they do the drivers.

For most I'd say upgrade to the x32 version if I had my laser printer would still be working :(

Early days but I'd say this is the best OP microsoft have ever made :)

I agree, early days yet ... But signs lookin very good indeed. I've been on 64 bit since vista and this is actualy more compatible than what vista was. Feel free to give me a shout if your thinking of buying the 64 bit version rather than the 32 bit. Majority of things you will find are compatible however there are always the odd few. As for the 32 bit version, you should be ok with most things by now.

Does it work with Adobe Acrobat? There were real problems with Vista with Acrobat!

Mick

You need to update acrobat reader if you still having issues as it runs on vista with no problem. This is assuming you are talking about the reader? If so download the latest from here http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/ .. If your still having problems Iwould recomend foxit reader http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/

ye i have the same problem mazz my card reader is also not recognized, have came across a few software issues but i run them in compatibility mode and they moslty work fine, if you only have 2GB of RAM or less i would go for the 32bit version but if you have around 4GB of RAM i would defo go for the 64bit version.

As said above, the 64 bit version is only worth it if you have a fair amount of memory (3.5 upwards), however even then it depends on what you are running. If you use your comp simply for the internet andyour not bothered about having the superfast pc, your money will be better spent on 32bit as it may save you updating hardware. However having said that, its still worth checking the compatibility of your hardware with 64 bit as if everything is compatible, there is no reason not to get the very latest in technology and futureproof yourself. In my opinion this operating system is likley to be around a lot longer than vista and will likley be the killer of windows xp. May take a while, but it will happen.

• 2 weeks later...