angry or playing?

wasp

While playing with Sky I've recently discovered that while harassing her she begins to growl or something. she gets her mouth on my hand or arm but never bites (maybe a little bit of pressure but never anything painful). After a while of me messing with her she'll quickly get up and kind of run away. I'm assuming we're playing until she runs off and that the grownling/talking is just part of the play. I'm not terribly experienced with dog play but wanted to ask here. Is this just play and run away or am I ticking her off and she's growling at me?

_ph6QLTsZnY

I really don't think she's upset with you she is on her back in surrender. From my short experience of the beautiful Husky breed they are very vocal. My GSD George, Labrador Jersey & Husky Maia are all very vocal in play & are always chewing on each other but never nasty with each other. Generally when they have had enough of each other or us they will go away & lay down :D xxx

oh look to me like play my 3 growl all the time and yep they get my hand/arm in their mouth, but i will say one thing make sure play is on your terms not theirs, you start the play but be sure you finish it as well.

so you play when you say and you stop when you say.

just so she knows your in charge not her apart from that play away mine love rough play and being chased lol enjoy xxxx

Looking at the vid, I think I'd growl and bite you, too, if you messed with me like that while I'm lounging! tongue.gif

In seriousness, though, I don't think she's angry or growling in meanness, but, to me, she does seem a bit annoyed (and I'm not real experienced, I'm just basing this on what I experience with my dog's body language). Normally, my Dakota, if he makes growly noises, he is actively engaged in the play and pursuing me. The way your pup is laying there without much active reciprocation, well, if that were my guy, I'd assume he's not too keen on playing at the moment, and I'd leave him alone.

Again, I'm not real experienced, just trying to offer another point of view from what little experience I do have!

Gorgeous pup, by the way!

I agree with bits of all the above :blink::D

There doesn't sound to be any malice in the growling, huskies do that, but, like Cathy said, Sky didn't get up to interact with you, so maybe she just wanted to sleep :lol:

Does she do that while playing with you at other times i.e. stood pouncing & running, playing "catch" etc?

She's more engaged when actually playing. What you see above is the result of her laying down to sleep and me messing with her one time. Since then I wanted to record the same thing happening and pose the question "is this a behavior to be concerned about"? The simple solution to the whole thing is to leave her alone while she's laying to rest but I also wanted to be sure that if someone were to mess with her (beside me) that she wouldn't be trying to hurt them. I'm in agreement that she's not trying to hurt me but seems annoyed. I thought as a concerned "parent" that I should be sure that there's nothing else going on here that I'm unaware of.

thank you all!