Skin Infection - All Is Fine Now

Mazz

Zoya recently had to take a trip to the nasty doctor (that's what Zoya calls him). She was shaking her head, and would yelp in pain once in awhile. We first noticed, she would shy away whenever we attempted to pet her around the ears. Really did not think too much about it, until the yelping started. Upon further check, we determined it was her right ear. So off to the vet. I took off work, and the vet clinic worked her into their full schedule.

The doctor looked into both ears. Everything was normal, no swelling, no redness, no discharge. He then asked to shave the fur from around the inside face of her right ear and in front of the canal area. Sure enough. Bingo! Bright, angry, red, and hot -- not the normal pink. That's how the skin was. Zoya had a skin infection. The vet surmised, she had scratched the area or received an insect bite. Then when she digs her two foot deep holes, and sticks her head down to the bottom, it became infected. The scratch or bite healed over, but the infection was under the surface. The nasty doctor (again, Zoya's words, not mine) recommended anti-biotics. If that did not do the trick, it would be necessary to lance the area and flush, which would require surgery.

Seven days of anti-biotics, and all is fine. Her one ear still looks a tad bit funny, but the fur is growing back nicely. I just hate to see any animal in pain, but especially a Husky. Zoya was such a good girl too. Although she did not care much for the thermometer up the wazoo.