Opinions Please On A New Product - Please Read

Niber

This may be a long one - apologies, but please read as I need opinions from you.

Firstly, it's been a while - been flat out.  Niber LOVING the snow - been pulling little 'uns on their sled.  He turns one tomorrow - big day.

Anyway, I am a builder and have been out of work for a while, so along with some other odd bits, I decided to start building furniture.  Carpentry has always been my favourite trade, so I thought I'd try out some joinery.  I haven't worked out how to post pics yet but have a look at my ebay item http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200882925619?var=&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649.  Also my other items, user name is 'ely_interiors'.

Wait... does this picture work?

post-8721-0-42290200-1358886507_thumb.jp

Having built a few items I had a thought.  I am lucky enough that when I moved into this house a year ago, there was a recess in the wall in the dining room - like a fake fireplace, which was just large enough to put Niber's bed.  It is out of the way, enclosed, and he treats it like a den.  Friends of mine have a Springer Spaniel and they have a bed in the kitchen, taking up floor space, and a bed in the lounge, taking a huge chunk of the floor space.  Also, I know a lot of people have crates and they also take up space and do not particularly look great in a lounge etc.

So here's my thought...  a bench, coffee table, dresser, TV stand, or any piece of furniture, which has a built in kennel / den for a dog.  So picture the bench in the link above, but instead of a gap under the seat, there would be a 'box'.  Leading into the box would be a hole, arched, big enough for a dog, and also a hinged, closeable door for the owner to remove and replace bedding etc.  That way your dog has a bed, like a crate, but it is hidden within a nice rustic piece of wooden furniture, so no need to put the crate away when visitors come etc.

The bench pictured would not be big enough for a husky, but more for a small breed, but a coffe table for example would fit a larger breed.  Not sure yet whether I could make a closeable door on the dog's opening that doesn't make it pitch black inside for those who like to crate their dog while they're out, as I only started thinking about it today, but I'm sure it could be done.

So this is where you come in - think of this as market research.  Is it a good idea?  would there be a market for it?  any problems you can foresee?  Any features I should consider?  Honest advice please.  If it is a crap idea, say it is a crap idea.  I know it would be an expensive dog bed, but I would hope people would think of it for the furniture value with a free dog bed built in.  I could literally incorporate it into almost any product / item of furniture.

Here are some other items I have built to get you thinking.  Thanks in advance.  As I said, honesty please - I don't get offended easily.  Even if it's one word: yes, no, great, b****cks etc.  I don't want to spend money building a prototype if it's not going to work.

post-8721-0-94037300-1358886751_thumb.jp

post-8721-0-39047300-1358886804_thumb.jp

post-8721-0-10172000-1358887091_thumb.jp

I really like that idea!! I think it doesn't necessarily have to be enclosed though... You could have a coffee table that has a base with small lips on three sides to keep the bed in place but keeps it open for the dog to be able to see around etc. depends on what each person wants I suppose. Would defiantly be worth thinking of doing a whole set for dog lovers, tv stand with toy holder on the side, coffee table with bed underneath, bookcase with food and water bowls underneath etc. etc. Think you would do really well if you could offer a matching set of furniture with pets in mind :)

Looks good! When I saw the first picture (and before reading on) I was thinking of a lift up seat for storage which is always useful. Not everyone can get their dog to sleep where they (the human) wants but I like the idea of the under seat dog bed. You might want to consider (if you haven't already!) offering to stain any of these pieces (the lighting isn't too good in the picture) - maybe 'dark oak' or similar?

Looks good! When I saw the first picture (and before reading on) I was thinking of a lift up seat for storage which is always useful. Not everyone can get their dog to sleep where they (the human) wants but I like the idea of the under seat dog bed. You might want to consider (if you haven't already!) offering to stain any of these pieces (the lighting isn't too good in the picture) - maybe 'dark oak' or similar?

These are all stained believe it or not, but in light oak and the lighting is bad - maybe some darker stain and better lighting are in order.  Niber has always slept where I put his bed, but I suppose if someone bought one and then the dog refused to go in, they might be annoyed.

I really like that idea!! I think it doesn't necessarily have to be enclosed though... You could have a coffee table that has a base with small lips on three sides to keep the bed in place but keeps it open for the dog to be able to see around etc. depends on what each person wants I suppose. Would defiantly be worth thinking of doing a whole set for dog lovers, tv stand with toy holder on the side, coffee table with bed underneath, bookcase with food and water bowls underneath etc. etc. Think you would do really well if you could offer a matching set of furniture with pets in mind :)

That sounds good - and less labour intensive.  Suppose it depends on the dog - Niber likes his privacy and often sleeps away from us while we're relaxing - he is now, but not every dog is that grumpy.  And yeah, different ideas, not just furniture for sleeping - good idea.

Just thinking out loud but another idea would be... Where you have your TV stand (which is very nice by the way) you could have the lower tier twice as long and the extra bit could be the bed (not enclosed idea again lol) I know they like high ground :)

Just thinking out loud but another idea would be... Where you have your TV stand (which is very nice by the way) you could have the lower tier twice as long and the extra bit could be the bed (not enclosed idea again lol) I know they like high ground :)

I didn't know that, but yeah, good idea.  Suppose I would be limited to people who actually have space for any of the items

These are all stained believe it or not, but in light oak and the lighting is bad - maybe some darker stain and better lighting are in order.  Niber has always slept where I put his bed, but I suppose if someone bought one and then the dog refused to go in, they might be annoyed.

That sounds good - and less labour intensive.  Suppose it depends on the dog - Niber likes his privacy and often sleeps away from us while we're relaxing - he is now, but not every dog is that grumpy.  And yeah, different ideas, not just furniture for sleeping - good idea.

Light / dark oak - offer the choice (and maybe other choices?) to the customer. Certainly offer light & dark *something*.

Some dogs like a den but not necessarily as their main bed - they could still hide using your first picture without being enclosed

If you look at the listings on ebay I offer all sorts of finishes, but only started these items last week and can't afford to stain each different just for pics.  Will take pics as and when I make orders.  And hey, have just sold my first item whilst typing.  Only a spice rack, but gotta start somewhere.

Niber, I looks really good from here. The idea has a lot of merit especially to those of us who have dogs who like a place to hide out.

Matter of fact, since we're on opposite sides of the pond, would you mind if I thought about it over here? I'd really hate to step on your toes but I do know a good idea when I see one!

Niber, I looks really good from here. The idea has a lot of merit especially to those of us who have dogs who like a place to hide out.

Matter of fact, since we're on opposite sides of the pond, would you mind if I thought about it over here? I'd really hate to step on your toes but I do know a good idea when I see one!

Go for it - though in return some pics please that I can use in my own advertising?  And nobody on 'this side of the pond' to make them.  Not before me anyway

I've seen dog 'crates' worked into islands for the kitchen (and it included a feeding station). I think your idea would fly. I know I'd much rather have a piece of furniture as opposed to a crate sitting around.

'

I'd consider one if it looked good and I was able to use it as a crate, not just a dog bed. Ryn is very particular where she lays in the house and I'm pretty sure she wouldn't go for sitting under something, but if it would be more like a crate, that I could close her in when I was away, I'd consider a purchase.

There are some great ideas on Pinterest that I've often wished I'd worked into our home for Rynnie.

I've seen dog 'crates' worked into islands for the kitchen (and it included a feeding station). I think your idea would fly. I know I'd much rather have a piece of furniture as opposed to a crate sitting around.

'

I'd consider one if it looked good and I was able to use it as a crate, not just a dog bed. Ryn is very particular where she lays in the house and I'm pretty sure she wouldn't go for sitting under something, but if it would be more like a crate, that I could close her in when I was away, I'd consider a purchase.

There are some great ideas on Pinterest that I've often wished I'd worked into our home for Rynnie.

So I've been beaten to it then?  Will have to look those up.  I would be able to make them lockable somehow, just need to develop the ideas.  Good opinions so far.  Best ways to market them?  Apart from ebay!?

This is Niber's 'den' at the moment, so it is enclosed, but not actually enclosed as in it has a small door.  Maybe three sided with a completely open front would be best.  Depends on the dog and the owner I suppose.

Thanks for comments so far

post-8721-13586081049364_thumb.jpg

This is one, for example, that I really liked... (as far as a feeding station)

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=dog+feeding+stations+in+kitchen+island&hl=en&sa=X&tbo=d&rlz=1C1PRFB_enUS491US502&biw=1092&bih=527&tbm=isch&tbnid=m3gIZ4WEwLjXIM:&imgrefurl=http://www.atticmag.com/2011/04/built-ins-for-pets/&docid=Te5X5rA-Vu392M&imgurl=http://www.atticmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/dec-hode-pets8-435.jpg&w=435&h=278&ei=rgn_UIvWBcrmrQG8ioHABQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=620&vpy=137&dur=2386&hovh=180&hovw=281&tx=118&ty=112&sig=113413569186319402362&page=1&tbnh=145&tbnw=200&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0,i:99

Here's some 'dog crate furniture'

http://www.google.com/search?q=dog+crate+furniture&hl=en&tbo=d&rlz=1C1PRFB_enUS491US502&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Agr_UNCfC8i7qQH8rIHoCA&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=1092&bih=527

I wouldn't say 'beaten' to it, there's always room for improvements......I think it's a great idea! Go for it!

My opinion on these dog crate furniture items (not to slag off the competition) is that they all look like cages, with the bars and doors etc.  I would try more of a rustic furniture look - something you wouldn't know was a dog's home until you were told.

This is one, for example, that I really liked... (as far as a feeding station)

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=dog+feeding+stations+in+kitchen+island&hl=en&sa=X&tbo=d&rlz=1C1PRFB_enUS491US502&biw=1092&bih=527&tbm=isch&tbnid=m3gIZ4WEwLjXIM:&imgrefurl=http://www.atticmag.com/2011/04/built-ins-for-pets/&docid=Te5X5rA-Vu392M&imgurl=http://www.atticmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/dec-hode-pets8-435.jpg&w=435&h=278&ei=rgn_UIvWBcrmrQG8ioHABQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=620&vpy=137&dur=2386&hovh=180&hovw=281&tx=118&ty=112&sig=113413569186319402362&page=1&tbnh=145&tbnw=200&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0,i:99

Here's some 'dog crate furniture'

http://www.google.com/search?q=dog+crate+furniture&hl=en&tbo=d&rlz=1C1PRFB_enUS491US502&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Agr_UNCfC8i7qQH8rIHoCA&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=1092&bih=527

I wouldn't say 'beaten' to it, there's always room for improvements......I think it's a great idea! Go for it!

Someone on here was making feeding stations a while back but I can't remember who. A (very) simple description of them was something like a raised plank with cut-outs for the bowls (they looked far better than this description!) Possibly with dog names engraved / carved into the woodwork. Not that the dogs are likely to be able to read...

My opinion on these dog crate furniture items (not to slag off the competition) is that they all look like cages, with the bars and doors etc.  I would try more of a rustic furniture look - something you wouldn't know was a dog's home until you were told.

Different is good!

Maybe knock up some ideas out of cheap wood for marketing purposes / photoshop different shades of stains on them to save on (initial) manufacturing costs? Possibly with an 'artists impression' disclaimer? Then photograph every commission before dispatch to add to your archive

Really liking this idea, we have "normal" crates for ours, but when we only had Myshka we put her cage in the recess under the stairs out of sight, she loves it under there, a proper den. But when we got D, he was 1) too big for a crate & 2) had never been crate trained, but he is so laid back, he can't be bothered to chew! Now we have Kaviq & we had to give in to the inevitable - a metal crate in the dining room (and out went the dining table & chairs!) so to have a piece of furniture that doubled up as a "crate" would be perfect for me, e.g. a dining room table using the 4 legs as corners would make a great husky-sized area.

Good luck with your venture