BETTAS!!!! (photo heavy)

Split from the facebook page thread. I have five males--Jack, Bash, Red, Pretty & Veil.

I've had them about a year and just love them. I used to have 20gal tanks but after the accident I had to get rid of them. The 2.5gal betta tanks are perfect for me. I can handle them without help (usually) and that makes a huge difference.

My daughter worked at Walmart and started bringing me the saddest, sickest bettas she saw. After four my husband told her she had to stop! I ordered Pretty from a breeder, he's the only one I actually chose.

Do you guys use java moss in your tanks? I swear by it! I never have ammonia issues. The java moss soaks up free ammonia like a sponge.

Jack--crowntail, my first

post-2927-1358608806058_thumb.jpg

post-2927-13586088057452_thumb.jpg

Pretty--supposedly a double half moon but I don't think so, the only one I selected myself!

post-2927-13586088058169_thumb.jpg

post-2927-13586088059842_thumb.jpg

Red--veiltail

post-2927-13586088059131_thumb.jpg

Bash--veiltail, originally for "bashful," then for "bash into everything trying to fight!"

post-2927-13586088057798_thumb.jpg

Veil--veiltail, I didn't expect him to survive, the black mark was a serious ammonia burn that healed but for some reason it healed black.

post-2927-13586088061185_thumb.jpg

Show me some pics of your bettas!

As evidence that we aren't all crazy, check out this recent post from Winterdance Kennels, with a photo.

Over 14 years we have had some pretty unique requests from guests about their dogsled tour......but this one goes down as the most unique period!

Request "while we are out on the 2 hour tour, can you babysit our Beta Fish Bubbles & make sure she doesn't freeze?"

The guides took special care building the cabin fire that morning and Bubbles survived her time with us :) Thanks for coming out dogsledding Gerry, Melissa & Bubbles!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151048239357395&set=a.191747377394.109742.137784467394&type=1&theater

Now I'm a dedicated Sibe & Betta mom but not even I would take my fish along on vacation.

This is dumbledore he's a veiltail male. :) I got him from petco because I wanted a fish not knowing much about them.

I've actually become quite attached to him. Lol I've had to do some research to make sure he lives a long life.

[ATTACH]67806[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]67807[/ATTACH]

post-7406-13586088062452_thumb.jpg

post-7406-13586088063709_thumb.jpg

This is dumbledore he's a veiltail male. :) I got him from petco because I wanted a fish not knowing much about them.

I've actually become quite attached to him. Lol I've had to do some research to make sure he lives a long life.

Beautiful boy!

I've discovered that using the java moss and adding a tiny bit of aquarium salt to their water each change really helped mine regrow their fins and keep the healing going after their initial treatments for really bad health. Poor Veil (not Bash, he had ammonia burns) was just a mess and within six weeks he was healed up and looking much better. He had almost no fins at all when I got him.

The one thing I'd suggest is to have a heater in the tank. I know, I know, people say they don't need them and while it's true that they can survive without them, they do better with a tank temperature of 73-78°F. We humans can survive at -50°F but we do better at our optimal temperature.

Love the photo, keep 'em coming!

EDIT: Two things actually. I keep my bettas in 2.5gal tanks at minimum. While they can survive a little while in those teeny tiny tanks they need the space to swim and dilute ammonia. Their gills produce ammonia constantly in addition to the decomposition of waste products and if the tanks aren't large enough or the water changed, etc. they can die from the ammonia.

Edited by elenamarie

Beautiful boy!

I've discovered that using the java moss and adding a tiny bit of aquarium salt to their water each change really helped mine regrow their fins and keep the healing going after their initial treatments for really bad health. Poor Veil (not Bash, he had ammonia burns) was just a mess and within six weeks he was healed up and looking much better. He had almost no fins at all when I got him.

The one thing I'd suggest is to have a heater in the tank. I know, I know, people say they don't need them and while it's true that they can survive without them, they do better with a tank temperature of 73-78°F. We humans can survive at -50°F but we do better at our optimal temperature.

Love the photo, keep 'em coming!

EDIT: Two things actually. I keep my bettas in 2.5gal tanks at minimum. While they can survive a little while in those teeny tiny tanks they need the space to swim and dilute ammonia. Their gills produce ammonia constantly in addition to the decomposition of waste products and if the tanks aren't large enough or the water changed, etc. they can die from the ammonia.

I def will look into a heater and java moss! I have him in a 2 gallon tank currently but a larger one is in plan for the future.

Two gallons is fine. They don't need the Taj Mahal but those tiny "betta tanks" sold everywhere are just ridiculous, KWIM? If you look for java moss, don't confuse it with java fern. It's totally different plants. Java moss looks like this:

post-2927-13586088102514_thumb.jpg

Java fern looks like this:

post-2927-13586088102847_thumb.jpg

Most betta tanks are too small for the java fern. You may have to go to an aquarium specialty store for java moss--I couldn't find it anywhere else--but it's very inexpensive and multiplies rapidly. You'll be throwing chunks away before long!